Under 23's v Crewe Alex

41 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

OOOh look, another team 'Playing out from the Back';-)

Idiotic tactic,  why do coaches insist it's a good idea?

Nearly as bad as keeping possession in your own half,  and then giving it up the minute you cross the halfway line

Thus inviting a quick break on your own goal.   Madness    :mad:

11 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Nearly as bad as keeping possession in your own half,  and then giving it up the minute you cross the halfway line

Totally agree. Love to see teams concede like this, and it happens fairly often. 

11 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Though for balance, the same could be said for launching the ball long and giving the ball straight back to the opposition

21 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Can't blame clubs for teaching their players to play properly from early age. If you are looking to earn good money on young player you must sell him to a good team. Most good teams these days wont take a 2'nd look at youngsters who is not comfortable on the ball, even if he plays centar half. 

Waldock scored both goals, hope we will keep him at the club. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

Can't blame clubs for teaching their players to play properly from early age. If you are looking to earn good money on young player you must sell him to a good team. Most good teams these days wont take a 2'nd look at youngsters who is not comfortable on the ball, even if he plays centar half. 

Waldock scored both goals, hope we will keep him at the club. 

Waldock could easily be a first team regular next season. Could see him and FDB as regulars in the midfield in League 1.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 14:24, Paddyowl said:

IMO the only way to improve the 1st team is to bring a few young'uns through, players like Galvin, Rice, Brennan, Preston, Waldock, Hagan and Adedoyin  from the U23's.

Get them some game time ready for League One and lets be honest our joke of a 1st team can't get much worse, I'm not suggesting throwing them all in at once but shoe horn them in gradually.

With almost all our squad out of contract in the summer Darren Moore (If he's still in charge.....debatable) is going to have to rebuild with not a lot of cash I would imagine .

We always go down the older loan player road or loan players that are not fit and it just doesn't work, youth is our only way to go, are they good enough? Who knows but they seem to be a good bunch and you never know until you give them a chance.

All this of course is depending on us having a football club to support......sorry be customers of. Grim times.

Fraser Preston got released a year ago.  He is now at Boston United.

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

Waldock could easily be a first team regular next season. Could see him and FDB as regulars in the midfield in League 1.

His contracts up in the summer.  Fighting to try and get a new one.  Could go either way.  Kirby released last year despite having a good season on loan at Macclesfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

Can't blame clubs for teaching their players to play properly from early age.

That comment baffles me tbh

Since when has 'playing out from the back' been considered the proper way of playing the game?

Seems like a fairly recent development,  so before then you reckon footballers weren't playing the game properly?

Look at the goal Burnley scored at the weekend

The Arsenal player in question (Xhaka) is a big earner and probably highly-rated

But if he wasn't pratting around,  playing the ball along the edge of their own area,  then Burnley don't score

10 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

His contracts up in the summer.  Fighting to try and get a new one.  Could go either way.  Kirby released last year despite having a good season on loan at Macclesfield.

One of the few who would sign a new one IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

One of the few who would sign a new one IMO.

Do you think he would be offered one though? If offered I'm sure he would but every year quite a lot of u23s get released.  Last year Borukov, Preston, J Lee, Stobbs, Kirby etc.  This year will probably be the same. Depends how many U18s get offerd deals as well.

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

Do you think he would be offered one though? If offered I'm sure he would but every year quite a lot of u23s get released.  Last year Borukov, Preston, J Lee, Stobbs, Kirby etc.  This year will probably be the same. Depends how many U18s get offerd deals as well.

Well if we don’t then we’re going to have a lot of players to find?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Since when has 'playing out from the back' been considered the proper way of playing the game?

For a very long time, anywhere in the world but on the island. Although it changed and now and all top English clubs are looking to play from the back.

Since early 90's both national team and English clubs playing European competitions often got beat and knocked out of competitions by much "smaller" teams playing passing football.

Can you see clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, City, Liverpool paying money for young defender who is not comfortable on the ball and can't play from the back ?!

32 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Normally similar number of U18s offered pro contract to U23s released.

Can't see it as we lost some really good talent while those looking to make a step up are nowhere near as good.

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Seems like a fairly recent development,  so before then you reckon footballers weren't playing the game properly?

Look at the goal Burnley scored at the weekend

The Arsenal player in question (Xhaka) is a big earner and probably highly-rated

But if he wasn't pratting around,  playing the ball along the edge of their own area,  then Burnley don't score

Don't forget tottenham's first v Palace as well.

EVERY week you see some.

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Can you see clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, City, Liverpool paying money for young defender who is not comfortable on the ball and can't play from the back ?!

The point being ...   young players can be encouraged to be comfortable on the ball without the coach adopting kamikaze tactics in and around their own box

To criticise teams that don't embrace this 'style' seems like a form of snobbery to me

Those on here old enough to witness our top flight return in '84 will remember the stick we received from the media/ pundits etc for Wilko's "up and at 'em" style of play

Me?  I LOVED it,  although it was only successful for a season or two

I think 'playing from the back' is another example of a fad that will surely run it's course

Personally,  I hope it does.  The sooner the better