The size of football clubs and where we fit

Remember the club is not a current team. If you were around early 90's then Chelsea got bought for a pound and Man city seemed to be the very very poor neighbors to Man United. Lecister city were a lower league club. We were on a par with Tottenham, Everton Villa and Chelsea and we disappeared after being the only one out if those teams who had in early 90's had a chance of winning the premiership. Now decades later and the huge money in the premiership we need to catch up..... Put us back in the premiership for a few years and we would be back. We are massive because that's an historical measure over our 153 years! We are straved and weak ATM but we DO need to get back there asap! Man city in league 1 who could have seen where they would be now! With the right investment and footballing KNOWLEDGE!!!! Taking us forward is not the same as a small club like Bournemouth or Fulham or Palace who have a ceiling. We have the scope other clubs don't and the history to trade off. Nobody shouted about being a man city fan a chelsea fan before rich owners and when Newcastle played their YTS lads they had no fans! It's all relative but we have the scope to get back to who we are. Just need to stop messing around going in circles!!!!!

Guest LondonOwl313
22 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

Several errors on that list

Leicester and Forest are no where near massive....both are traditionally medium sized clubs spending most of their histories in the 2nd tier.

However I suppose Forest deserve special kudos for winning the European cup twice.

Everton and Sunderland should be in the massive group.

Everton have spent more seasons in the top flight than any other club....both have historical honours and massive crowds.

West Ham arent massive....hardly won a thing in their entire history.

Swansea as a big club is a joke...they aren’t even a medium sized club.....small crowds and spent most of their history in the lower divisions, 

Leicester are miles bigger than us now.. maybe they were about the same 10 years ago and smaller 20-30 years ago, but things have changed. 

Being a big club is about more than fan base, although that is a factor. It’s about being competitive (in this day and age that’s being in the top flight on a regular basis, having cup runs etc), it’s about infrastructure (stadium, training ground, commercial draw).

We fail badly on pretty much every metric. It pains me to say it as I used to think we were a team that’s somewhere between 7th-12th biggest in the country but now we just aren’t. Said this yesterday in another thread but our fan base is ageing.. someone should do a poll on here of people’s ages and I’d guess majority are 50s to 70s. Younger people aren’t interested because we’re boring, rubbish and expensive to watch. Creatures of habit are all we have left.

We badly need top flight football to become relevant again, then we can upgrade the infrastructure as well as the playing staff, and get younger fans in. Ticket prices need slashing whatever happens. In 20 years time when all of those 50-70 year olds are 70-90 what do people think will happen to attendances.. i know my grandad stopped going in his 70s as it became too uncomfortable to sit in the stands for 2 hours in small seats with no leg room.

We basically have 5 years to turn this around even if it means giving tickets away for free to school kids or something 

Depending on how long Dc stays and  in charge of things we could hold the record for the biggest capacity stadium to grace the conference. 

Joking aside (I hope) 

We'll undoubtedly be relagated this season and I have no faith whatsoever in our recruitment being anything other than scattergun, it's how we've operated since Dc has been here. 

With So many out of contract players god knows how we'll get on. 

One of my dads favourite term's when he was still here was "the blind leading the blind", it's never fit so well as it does now. 

34 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

it became too uncomfortable to sit in the stands for 2 hours in small seats with no leg room.

That’s why my dad who’s in his 80s now is so desperate to keep his season ticket so he doesn’t lose his extra legroom end of row seat on the south stand! He told me yesterday even if he misses half the games he’ll keep his season ticket so he can keep he easy access seat with room for his blanket! Bless him. 

I know I’ll get pelters for this but for the first time in my life I’m not even sure we’re the biggest club in Sheffield now ! .

Our current owner has turned us into a complete basket case of a club that is a laughing stock throughout football.

It’s very kind on us, we’re defiantly not in the same category as Man City, Chelsea, and after they’re premier league win Leicester. Everton are also blatantly a bigger club than us. I think 5 years ago if you’d have asked me about our size, and where we should be based on that, I would have said we’re in a similar group to Forest, Newcastle, Leeds and Villa of a big club, with a big history, thats currently underachieving. However we’re now two decades out of the premier league, looking at our 3rd stint in league one in that time, our stadium is slowly decreasing in quality and so is the capacity and we look no where near capable of returning to former glories anytime soon. In terms of the larger football community we’re becoming less and less relevant, we’re now just a vague memory of a by-gone era. A whole generation of younger, premier league fans have no idea about us. I think in all honesty we’re now a similar club to teams like Ipswich, Derby, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Cardiff etc. We’re an average championship club that wouldn’t look out of place making the numbers up in the lower half of the prem but also wouldn’t look out of place in League one. 

• Like 1

How many of those 'average ' clubs are we bigger than in the eyes of the majority of 'neutrals '?

I'd guess Plymouth,  Exeter, Charlton, Barnsley,  Wigan,  Bradford.....maybe Millwall

Who really thinks we're bigger than the rest of even that category 

On 06/03/2021 at 14:53, FinnishOwl said:

Chelsea and Man City were two clubs that seemed to be going nowhere in the early 90s. Just look at what proper ownership and businessmanlike behaviour can do to a football clubs foundations.

Yes, plastic, but shines more than turd.

A couple of Oil wells seem's to make a difference too.

On 07/03/2021 at 23:19, Owlbashthi said:

Chelsea, Leeds, Leicester, forest, West ham. Nowhere near when I started, Everton got to be there or above, pigs getting flattered. 

Everton had a great period in the 80s winning league fa cups, cup winners cup, league Cup, they are bigger than us by a country mile, haven't been relegated for years