The 80's were the best

The buzz around Hillsborough on a Saturday 1990 to 1994 was something else. On the match day every pub was packed to the rafters and every one was excited.  The Gate pub was full all day Saturday and The Ball was one of the best pubs in Sheffield. You struggled to get away tickets and we took 5000 away regularly.  The team was amazing with Waddle taking it to the next level.  We were regularly on tv and doing well in both cup competitions and the league.

of course it couldn't last forever.

• Like 1

I loved the 80s and 90s for differing reasons 80s was more edgy and was a buzz as a 16 year old mid 80's, 90s was all out the best team I had seen when we were genuinely one of the big clubs again with a chance of winning and Europe, was like a dream. From Div 3 when I started to use cup and finals.

10 minutes ago, Nostalgic Owl said:

I know you are an adult who doesnt find it sad to troll a football website.

But Ill indulge you.

2004/5 had a lot of dirge, a good run in November/December aside. 

A few awful defeats, poor runs, crap players  and we scraped playoffs in the end.

The playoffs were perfect but glam up the seaaon.

All in the ******** third tier.

Only a troll would claim its better than early 90's.

Nope 

I enjoyed 04/05 more. I just did.  I enjoyed the grounds, I liked the honesty of that team . 

16 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

The football was better in the early 90's but altogether for me (being aged 11-21) the Eighties were better. 

Being able to stand up alone both at Hillsborough with occasional huge crowds  over 40k and also some 10k plus away followings made the 80s better.

You must be about same age as me and you’re spot on pal ^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Amazing mate.

we won absolutely nothing, bottled it in two cup finals, got to Europe and beat spora Luxembourg only yet we bang on about it like we were the Ajax side of the 70’s. 

I thing somebodies either been on the Spirits or more likely is fishing here.

I would understand your dislike of the 1990s Reminiscing If you never looked back yourself, but to then say that 2005 was better than 91-93 is utter rubbish.

An era where we won our only major Trophy in nearly 100 Years and got  Promoted in the same Season.(so your comment on winning absolutely nothing is factually incorrect)  followed by finished 3rd in The Top flight one year and 7th the next.

Played in and won matches in Europe for the 1st time in 30 Years and probably would have gone much further if not for questionable referring decisions. (and the last  time for God knows how many years, maybe forever).

Reached both Domestic Cup Finals in the same season for the only time in our History (and came desperately close to winning the FA Cup).

Had a player named Footballer writers player of the Year and plenty of others who would have graced any side in the Top Flight, played arguably the best football of any team in the League, were a delight to watch and played football incomparable to anything any other Wednesday side I've seen in 40 odd years of watching them could produce.

Compared with 2005  - The Year we finished 6th in the 3rd tier (or 50th overall) scraped into the playoffs, didn't do anything of note in the either of the domestic Cups, but had the Freight Rover Trophy as a replacement for European games.

We did have the likes of Peacock, Quinn and Rocastle (sadly not the very good Rocastle) playing though.

Ok the end destination was fantastic, the memories of the day at the day at the Millennium will live forever, but as for the journey and the scenery along the way, doesn't even get close to the early 90's. 

Your entitled to your opinion but I don't think anyone else around for both eras would agree with you.

11 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Fact of the matter, is we won a major trophy, made Cup Finals and Semi Finals, whilst the Cup's still mattered and don't forget we also finished 3rd in the top flight and we had 3 other top 7 finishes. Nowadays fans go overboard just over getting to the top flight, making up the numbers or finishing in the top 10 or whatever. We mixed it with the top teams during that era and it's the last time we have done so and it's the last time we won anything of note, and it's the last time we had top class players of genuine pedigree. The lower leagues don't compare and are not anywhere near the level of success we had back in the 90s; 80s or 60s or pre-WWII. 

Agree on that 

I can’t remember much of the 80’s as I was only 10 when it ended, but 90-91 was my favourite ever season. As a kid in his last year at primary school surrounded by mates who supported Liverpool and Man Utd it was awesome. We had a brilliant team, a great manager and of course we got promoted and beat one of the big boys in a cup final.

That for me was the pinnacle.