The 80's were the best

I do remember the 80s fondly because it was when I got into football. Home and away every game with my dad and his mates on the coach from Kiverton. Cribbage on the bus, lunch at pubs and all that. Can’t actually really remember the football that well but I’ve been told it was great 😉
Biggest thing really from the 80s for me is short shorts. I’ve got loads of photos of me in Wednesday kits from the era short shorts included which the kids love to mock! God I wish I’d kept the sodding shirts though. 

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

90s were by far the best for me as that's when I became a teen and was in my biggest football and music mad phase. It was the best football I've ever seen Wednesday play during my lifetime and we had top class players of the calibre that we'll never see in a Wednesday shirt again. The late 70s and early/mid 80s were just before my interest in football reached its peak in the 90s. For all the greatness and excitement of the Big Ron and Tricky Trev era, we should be forever grateful to Big Jack and Sgt Wilko for bringing our pride back and for making the 90s possible. 90s football was my favourite era ever for football, not just because we had a quality team to be proud of but also because many of the most iconic players played in that era over here and abroad, the likes of Roberto Baggio; Savicevic, Matthaus, Maradona, Valderrama, Cantona, Baresi, Maldini, etc were brilliant to watch, as were the likes of Waddle; Gazza, Barnes, Beardsley, Le Tissier, Shearer, Hirst, etc too. The 90s will never be beat for me but it's also bittersweet for me, as in far as that's the best it will ever get for us during my lifetime and it was also the start of when football sold it's soul and ultimately the end of football as sport. 

You must be a similar age to me. The quality of football & footballer was higher in the 90s, but the difference between the team sheet & wages between the 2 decades really shows how football changed for the worst.

An 80s teamsheet would have 5 lads in from South Yorks, earning a salary that was higher, but in the ball park , of what fans were earning. These were the last SWFC players that ended up as Landlords or similar.

The 90s team, though full of legends like Roland etc, represents modern football & it's break from the working class, & teams being local.

The 80s have it for me.

• Like 1

Best thing about the 80's for me was Mel Sterland....without doubt my most favourite Wednesday player of all time...so much so that when he left for Rangers it cured me of idolising any player since...him leaving was the closest I've ever been to actual depression.

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

No set of fans whacks on about it more than us.

it bores the younger fans to tears. I don’t think I can listen to one more beer gutted numpty in a Sanderson shirt abuse Tom Lees whilst droning on about Des Walker ( who never one a thing when he was here ). 

Tom Lees is not in the same League as Des Walker and never will be. Walker played for England and played in Serie A, and was a top class defender at the highest level on a par with the likes of McGrath; Bruce, Pallister, Adams, etc. Lees is a lower league, decent 2nd tier defender. 

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Amazing mate.

we won absolutely nothing, bottled it in two cup finals, got to Europe and beat spora Luxembourg only yet we bang on about it like we were the Ajax side of the 70’s. 

Fact of the matter, is we won a major trophy, made Cup Finals and Semi Finals, whilst the Cup's still mattered and don't forget we also finished 3rd in the top flight and we had 3 other top 7 finishes. Nowadays fans go overboard just over getting to the top flight, making up the numbers or finishing in the top 10 or whatever. We mixed it with the top teams during that era and it's the last time we have done so and it's the last time we won anything of note, and it's the last time we had top class players of genuine pedigree. The lower leagues don't compare and are not anywhere near the level of success we had back in the 90s; 80s or 60s or pre-WWII. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Amazing mate.

we won absolutely nothing, bottled it in two cup finals, got to Europe and beat spora Luxembourg only yet we bang on about it like we were the Ajax side of the 70’s. 

I agree a bit that Wednesday fans go over the top about the early 90s side and our record at that time would not have been a golden period for Man U or Liverpool.

Even clubs of similar size like Villa, Forest, Derby, WBA, Wolves, Leeds have won comfortably more then us since WW2.

But compared to last 20 years where our greatest seasons are promotions out of 3rd Div it was a successful era.

Pah!

1970's

John Lowey

Ken Knighton

Steve Burtenshaw

losing 8 nil at Middlsborough and getting the p00 kicked out of you on the way back to the coach

no roof on't kop, soaked wet through half the time

car breaking down on the way back from Gillingham 

Hugh Dowd

Harp Larger 

the Star "save our Owls campaign"

8 -2 loss at QPR

Proper days 🥴

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Loved it all from Jack Charlton onwards.  

Agreed... up to Atkinsons second spell.

Charlton, Wilko and Atkinson were almost utopia. I thought that Francis did a good job. He had to step into the shoes of the messiah and was great for a while but his man management skills were suspect, especially compared to Big Ron’s.

After that.... my God . Pleat ( we were top of the pile for a week), Wilson, Jewell, Yorath, Turner.... can’t believe I’m writing this...ah, hold on, Sturrock, liked him, Laws, sort of ok, Irvine, Megson , Jones ( first dozen or so games were amazing, especially “mind the gap”), then Carlos... the joy returned for a couple of seasons, then Jos, Bruce, Monk and Pulis.

We’ve had some greats but we’ve also shovelled up some sh•t. Wilson, Jewell, Yorath and Turner in succession, holy cow, it’s difficult to gain traction after that. And then Monk followed by Pulis..hells bells.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Agreed... up to Atkinsons second spell.

Charlton, Wilko and Atkinson were almost utopia. I thought that Francis did a good job. He had to step into the shoes of the messiah and was great for a while but his man management skills were suspect, especially compared to Big Ron’s.

After that.... my God . Pleat ( we were top of the pile for a week), Wilson, Jewell, Yorath, Turner.... can’t believe I’m writing this...ah, hold on, Sturrock, liked him, Laws, sort of ok, Irvine, Megson , Jones ( first dozen or so games were amazing, especially “mind the gap”), then Carlos... the joy returned for a couple of seasons, then Jos, Bruce, Monk and Pulis.

We’ve had some greats but we’ve also shovelled up some sh•t. Wilson, Jewell, Yorath and Turner in succession, holy cow, it’s difficult to gain traction after that. And then Monk followed by Pulis..hells bells.

yup, but as I have tried to explain it to my son, the roller coaster means that we appreciate the highs more and grit our teeth with resilience during the lows, its got to be better than being an Everton or Arsenal fan, same old monotony year in year out.

6 hours ago, Somebody said:

You must be a similar age to me. The quality of football & footballer was higher in the 90s, but the difference between the team sheet & wages between the 2 decades really shows how football changed for the worst.

An 80s teamsheet would have 5 lads in from South Yorks, earning a salary that was higher, but in the ball park , of what fans were earning. These were the last SWFC players that ended up as Landlords or similar.

The 90s team, though full of legends like Roland etc, represents modern football & it's break from the working class, & teams being local.

The 80s have it for me.

You must be loving this era.

dawson, wildsmith, Palmer , hunt , shaw, Rhodes.

lees from leeds

westwood from just across the Pennines. 

great to have local lads making up so much of the team.

always some rose-tinted when looking back - simpler times though.

We were good between 83-86 but the other years were indifferent in my view. We had players who weren't superstars and didn't earn much even then, due to us being a tight club. They had two good managers in BJ and Wilko, which without them two we may never have got promotion in 84. 

We did steam-roller teams, and got slatted in the national press for it - we weren't pretty but very effective, but that had a three year shelf life, and by the end Wimbledon were better at it than us. 

Big Ron changed the style in 89 and the rest is history. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

Pah!

1970's

John Lowey

Ken Knighton

Steve Burtenshaw

losing 8 nil at Middlsborough and getting the p00 kicked out of you on the way back to the coach

no roof on't kop, soaked wet through half the time

car breaking down on the way back from Gillingham 

Hugh Dowd

Harp Larger 

the Star "save our Owls campaign"

8 -2 loss at QPR

Proper days 🥴

Now that's character building.😁

• Thanks 1