The 80's were the best

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Nothing, aside from genocide, poverty and U2 is worse than football nostalgia , and we are the worst of any club at it .

We always wonder why we can’t attract new fans and big crowds. It is simply as most of our fans always drone on about the past.  Liam Palmer , poo , he isn’t Graham Hyde. Wasn’t it so much better in my day . This isn’t real football, get it long.

Football is still brilliant. We are still brilliant.

Every football fan reminisce thats what its all about.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Every football fan reminisce thats what its all about.  

No set of fans whacks on about it more than us.

it bores the younger fans to tears. I don’t think I can listen to one more beer gutted numpty in a Sanderson shirt abuse Tom Lees whilst droning on about Des Walker ( who never one a thing when he was here ). 

• Haha 1

Just now, mcmigo said:

it bores the younger fans to tears. I don’t think I can listen to one more beer gutted numpty in a Sanderson shirt abuse Tom Lees whilst droning on about Des Walker ( who never one a thing when he was here ). 

Won not one .

• Like 1

90s were by far the best for me as that's when I became a teen and was in my biggest football and music mad phase. It was the best football I've ever seen Wednesday play during my lifetime and we had top class players of the calibre that we'll never see in a Wednesday shirt again. The late 70s and early/mid 80s were just before my interest in football reached its peak in the 90s. For all the greatness and excitement of the Big Ron and Tricky Trev era, we should be forever grateful to Big Jack and Sgt Wilko for bringing our pride back and for making the 90s possible. 90s football was my favourite era ever for football, not just because we had a quality team to be proud of but also because many of the most iconic players played in that era over here and abroad, the likes of Roberto Baggio; Savicevic, Matthaus, Maradona, Valderrama, Cantona, Baresi, Maldini, etc were brilliant to watch, as were the likes of Waddle; Gazza, Barnes, Beardsley, Le Tissier, Shearer, Hirst, etc too. The 90s will never be beat for me but it's also bittersweet for me, as in far as that's the best it will ever get for us during my lifetime and it was also the start of when football sold it's soul and ultimately the end of football as sport. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Nothing, aside from genocide, poverty and U2 is worse than football nostalgia , and we are the worst of any club at it .

We always wonder why we can’t attract new fans and big crowds. It is simply as most of our fans always drone on about the past.  Liam Palmer , poo , he isn’t Graham Hyde. Wasn’t it so much better in my day . This isn’t real football, get it long.

Football is still brilliant. We are still brilliant.

You have something there, but it’s a bit more complex than that Not much about our club, is appealing to younger generation, our ageing fan base, the way we play our football, our lack of an online presence, all those things make us less relevant to most youngsters

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

In years to come you will be boring the pants off some poor kid about Barry Bannan.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

though big jack is my favourite manager wilko's first 3 years as manager was the most exciting  team ive seen . had all the components and just brushed others aside  with there fitness , power and no little skill . 

Mean machine!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

90s were by far the best for me as that's when I became a teen and was in my biggest football and music mad phase. It was the best football I've ever seen Wednesday play during my lifetime and we had top class players of the calibre that we'll never see in a Wednesday shirt again. The late 70s and early/mid 80s were just before my interest in football reached its peak in the 90s. For all the greatness and excitement of the Big Ron and Tricky Trev era, we should be forever grateful to Big Jack and Sgt Wilko for bringing our pride back and for making the 90s possible. 90s football was my favourite era ever for football, not just because we had a quality team to be proud of but also because many of the most iconic players played in that era over here and abroad, the likes of Roberto Baggio; Savicevic, Matthaus, Maradona, Valderrama, Cantona, Baresi, Maldini, etc were brilliant to watch, as were the likes of Waddle; Gazza, Barnes, Beardsley, Le Tissier, Shearer, Hirst, etc too. The 90s will never be beat for me but it's also bittersweet for me, as in far as that's the best it will ever get for us during my lifetime and it was also the start of when football sold it's soul and ultimately the end of football as sport. 

You just liked it best as you were young then.

same as fatty bear in the 80’s

same as the old Hoolies on here say about the 70’s

19 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

I'm 35, and the best time I can remember was one season - 2011/12.

2004/05 promotion was a better season for me than any of the ‘glory’ days in the 90’s ( when that amazing world beating team won a total of one league cup and our only European win was against spora Luxembourg )

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

EteLHG3XEAE9CCu.jpg

Heroes on the pitch
Great goals
Amazing memories

Booze
Banter

Atmosphere

Classic shirts

Great programmes

Emotions

Memories

Someone explain to me again why we need £45 match tickets and massive wages?

Great music, standing up on the kop, one of the best grounds in the country and players who loved playing for the club during a successful period. 

The threat of violence inside and outside the ground, home and away, made match day much more exciting as well. 

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

You just liked it best as you were young then.

same as fatty bear in the 80’s

same as the old Hoolies on here say about the 70’s

Maybe but I'd take watching top class iconic defenders like Baresi, Zanetti and Maldini, etc and elegant skillful iconic players like Maradona, Roberto Baggio and Savicevic, Zola and Cantona, etc over the over hyped and over paid players about nowadays. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

2004/05 promotion was a better season for me than any of the ‘glory’ days in the 90’s ( when that amazing world beating team won a total of one league cup and our only European win was against spora Luxembourg )

League One slugfest over iconic top class players, proper big games, mixing it with the best and playing brilliant football? 

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

League One slugfest over iconic top class players, proper big games, mixing it with the best and playing brilliant football? 

Amazing mate.

we won absolutely nothing, bottled it in two cup finals, got to Europe and beat spora Luxembourg only yet we bang on about it like we were the Ajax side of the 70’s. 

5 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Maybe but I'd take watching top class iconic defenders like Baresi, Zanetti and Maldini, etc and elegant skillful iconic players like Maradona, Roberto Baggio and Savicevic, Zola and Cantona, etc over the over hyped and over paid players about nowadays. 

Why does it matter so much how much players earn?

we are living in the era now of the two greatest players in history - Messi and ronaldo- yet you wang on about Roberto baggio! 

ok m8!

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

The football was better in the early 90's but altogether for me (being aged 11-21) the Eighties were better. 

Being able to stand up alone both at Hillsborough with occasional huge crowds  over 40k and also some 10k plus away followings made the 80s better.

I was going to say, a lot of it depends on when you're a teenager. I was born in 1975 and the 1990-93 glory years were when I was 15-18 so it's absoutely no contest.

Pity the millenials who were born in, say 1990 and got into Wednesday around 2000, thinking "ah, relegation's only a blip"!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nut said:

Great music, standing up on the kop, one of the best grounds in the country and players who loved playing for the club during a successful period. 

The threat of violence inside and outside the ground, home and away, made match day much more exciting as well. 

Won nothing, boring long ball football, broken and dangerous stadium .

Take off the rose tints.

12 minutes ago, Nut said:

That sounds genuinely horrid. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Just now, Dooogs said:

I was going to say, a lot of it depends on when you're a teenager. I was born in 1975 and the 1990-93 glory years were when I was 15-18 so it's absoutely no contest.

Pity the millenials who were born in, say 1990 and got into Wednesday around 2000, thinking "ah, relegation's only a blip"!

Nope don’t pitty younger fans

just don’t belittle them and the current players by droning on about how much better t’old days were and you’ll never have it like us lad.

I often like doing this to youth today when I tell them I have a 2 million quid house I bought for a lump of coal and a Shilling, and final salary pension paying me 65k a year