Transfer window

Guest wilyfox
24 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

Without a manager, we really shouldn’t be making desperate signings.

we shouldn’t be desperate to avoid the drop? Pretty sure we are.

51 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I bet sky are rubbing their hands together at the thought of transfer deadline day this season.

Be about 10 transfers.

lol

I'm sure we will be having our usual last minute rummage in the leftovers bin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Our transfer Window consists of a bloke who hasn't played all season, and a player we binned last summer who has played half a dozen games on the Greek sun all season. 

The bloke who hasn't had a club for 6 months went straight into the starting line up ahead of a couple of options we signed in the summer, which doesn't say much about the quality of our recruitment at that time either.

The club have known we needed a focal-point striker since it was obvious that Fletcher wasn't staying and Nuhiu wasn't going to get a new deal - this will have been before the end of last season.

It was incredibly poor that this wasn't addressed in the summer and has been obvious for half a season that it has significantly hindered our chances of getting positive results.

We should have had key targets marked and bids in on days one of the transfer window, in some respects we have been fortunate not to have had a league game for 3 weeks but have still failed to address the main issue and so once again resume our bid for survival tonight hindered by the fact we have nobody to play up to that suits the position. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

The bloke who hasn't had a club for 6 months went straight into the starting line up ahead of a couple of options we signed in the summer, which doesn't say much about the quality of our recruitment at that time either.

The club have known we needed a focal-point striker since it was obvious that Fletcher wasn't staying and Nuhiu wasn't going to get a new deal - this will have been before the end of last season.

It was incredibly poor that this wasn't addressed in the summer and has been obvious for half a season that it has significantly hindered our chances of getting positive results.

We should have had key targets marked and bids in on days one of the transfer window, in some respects we have been fortunate not to have had a league game for 3 weeks but have still failed to address the main issue and so once again resume our bid for survival tonight hindered by the fact we have nobody to play up to that suits the position. 

15 goals in 23 league games speaks for itself mate. If we don't sign a striker who scores goals before the window shuts  we are as good as down already. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe...............just maybe................no decent striker want's to come to us?

6 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Just think. What we want and what is available are two entirely different scenarios.

What we want is a 15+ goal a year strike who is cheap, available and willing to come to us. Easy!

Quality has been, and is still available, decent players are still moving. We are too dilatory when it comes to recruitment. We’ve just signed two players who were available to us back in the summer

• Like 3

Just now, Hookowl said:

Maybe...............just maybe................no decent striker want's to come to us?

Its not like there have been many reports of bids turned down on interest in many strikers shunned.

The one recent link is to an Aberdeen striker who has struggled to find his best form since a serious injury. 

Even if this is the case, who is to blame for letting us slide into a situation where we have nobody to play as a focal point forward? Did players not want to come in the summer because we were 12 points behind - then who is blame? Do players now not want to come because we have sacked 2 managers in half a season and haven't committed to who will be taking us forward now - then who is to blame? 

This situation is of our own making. 

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Its not like there have been many reports of bids turned down on interest in many strikers shunned.

The one recent link is to an Aberdeen striker who has struggled to find his best form since a serious injury. 

Even if this is the case, who is to blame for letting us slide into a situation where we have nobody to play as a focal point forward? Did players not want to come in the summer because we were 12 points behind - then who is blame? Do players now not want to come because we have sacked 2 managers in half a season and haven't committed to who will be taking us forward now - then who is to blame? 

This situation is of our own making. 

I wasn't alluding to blame or why we are in the position we are, just saying that we are not likely to be regarded as a good option by the majority of decent/half decent strikers.

We have been linked to a few but I would guess most of these would have been just paper talk.

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

I wasn't alluding to blame or why we are in the position we are, just saying that we are not likely to be regarded as a good option by the majority of decent/half decent strikers.

We have been linked to a few but I would guess most of these would have been just paper talk.

Which is why the club should have seen this coming a mile off. Nuhiu may not have been everyone's cup of tea but we would doubtless have had more points now with him to play off up top. 

It would not have broke the bank to keep him for another season or two. Instead we signed Kachunga who is probably on a similar wage to Nuhiu and he can't even get a game when we are barely scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 1 and a half games.  

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which is why the club should have seen this coming a mile off. Nuhiu may not have been everyone's cup of tea but we would doubtless have had more points now with him to play off up top. 

It would not have broke the bank to keep him for another season or two. Instead we signed Kachunga who is probably on a similar wage to Nuhiu and he can't even get a game when we are barely scoring at a rate of 1 goal every 1 and a half games.  

TBF I liked Nuhiu and would have liked him to stay, but I thought it was his decision to go not ours?

Sure I read he wanted to go back home?

NT given next 2 games to prove his worth - will be put in for the rest of the season if we perform well. 

3 players to be brought in - LB, CF and a Winger. 

We know about Pickering and Murphy as targets. Interesting to see what happens with the latter now Cardiff have a new manager. 

Shaw contract ASAP is a must. 

Hopefully 1 or 2 to go out on loan like Dele and Hunt (with recalls agreed). 

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

TBF I liked Nuhiu and would have liked him to stay, but I thought it was his decision to go not ours?

Sure I read he wanted to go back home?

Back home to Cyprus?

I think if we had offered him a decent deal and game time he would have stayed but even when he was the only decent option up front Monk didn't pick him. He only started one of our last 9 games after lockdown. 

These articles suggest he was open to staying and that Monk wasn't that keen.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/it-looks-times-atdhe-nuhiu-sheffield-wednesday-2937528?&amp

https://the72.co.uk/181301/garry-monk-refuses-to-reveal-future-of-sheffield-wednesday-cult-favourite/

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Back home to Cyprus?

I think if we had offered him a decent deal and game time he would have stayed but even when he was the only decent option up front Monk didn't pick him. He only started one of our last 9 games after lockdown. 

These articles suggest he was open to staying and that Monk wasn't that keen.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/it-looks-times-atdhe-nuhiu-sheffield-wednesday-2937528?&amp

https://the72.co.uk/181301/garry-monk-refuses-to-reveal-future-of-sheffield-wednesday-cult-favourite/

TBF neither of those articles indicate Monk wasn't keen, First one he said:-

Owls manager, Garry Monk, spoke highly of Nuhiu and Kieran Lee last month, praising their character after they stuck around for the fight at the end of the 2019/20 season, but for Nuhiu at least, his brace at Fulham are set to be the last goals he scores for the club.

Monk said last month, “They both extended their contracts which is great, they’re the two that did it and they’ve been fantastic with me… Extending their contracts showed how much they were committed to the club and we all know what their history is with the club and everything they’ve brought to it.”

Second one when he was asked he just said he needed to concentrate on next game:- 

“Everything has been so manic and it’s been very hard to focus on anything but these games.

“We’ve still got another game left, we need to get all that work done, focus only on that. Those three points are the only thing we need to think about right now, from this last game.

“Then we will work out what the future is beyond that for everyone, but that’s not my focus right now.

The writing was on the wall during the summer? We chased zohore s as ll summer then pulled out last mon and went with Marriott who let’s be honest is a like for like striker and could see why he was back up option? Now zohore ended up injured at millwall so did Marriott with us the only difference Is zohore scored 2? Our transfer activity really does take some explanation most of the time? With the signing of green and link with the Crewe lad looks like we mite be going down a new path? The hutch signing after hearing he on a appearance related deal is a no brainer really can play multiple positions and knows the coaching staff and visa versa ? Can’t see us signing the 3 players we need in 5 days? Hope I’m wrong and dc proves me wrong? 

19 minutes ago, flash said:

NT given next 2 games to prove his worth - will be put in for the rest of the season if we perform well. 

3 players to be brought in - LB, CF and a Winger. 

Are these two statements something you have been told, or just what you would like to see happen ?