The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

2 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

Absolutely nothing suggests we will be promoted to the Championship with Troy Parrott. 

His record in league one is simply awful in a team in and around the play offs. 

He's only 19 though. Harry Kane had a couple of underwhelming early loan spells (looking purely at the goal stats). I'm not saying he's the next Harry Kane, but no reason he can't begin to adjust a bit more.

Ipswich are going for it aren't they, great signings.

I wonder if Kayden Jackson will stick around, as Piggott, Bonne and Fraser is gonna cause some serious competition for places upfront? He's out of contract end of this season, and his move to Huddesfield broke down in January transfer window. Pacey, and chips in with a fair few goals.....doubt Ipswich would want us having him though, and probably cost a fee! Oh well.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Ipswich will be up there, were always going to be after the new investment / appointment of Cook.  

But they needed to change a lot as were off the pace in league 1 last year.

Oh they might well be but it will have zilch to do with Matt Penney!

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

Absolutely nothing suggests we will be promoted to the Championship with Troy Parrott. 

Bit harsh on someone that played the equivalent of 12 games considering he's 19 and will have taken time to get some match fitness after struggling with injury at Millwall.

43 minutes ago, TbagMcgraw said:

Ipswich are going for it aren't they, great signings.

I wonder if Kayden Jackson will stick around, as Piggott, Bonne and Fraser is gonna cause some serious competition for places upfront? He's out of contract end of this season, and his move to Huddesfield broke down in January transfer window. Pacey, and chips in with a fair few goals.....doubt Ipswich would want us having him though, and probably cost a fee! Oh well.

Cook wants shut of Jackson but on decent money and no one will touch him apparently, awful attitude

• Like 1

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

I am now tipping Ipswich for the league, they have bought in proven goals with Pigott and Bonne, a midfield ball winner in Evans and flare and goals in Fraser his record over the last few season is one of the best in all leagues. They have two young attack minder wingers in Penney and harper, an experience keeper to marshall at the back and have a manager will multiple promotions on his cv including in league one.

This is the sort of business we could have done instead we are weeks/months behind everyone else again.

They are also starting again after a big clear out and no players like Bannan, Windass, Paterson, Iorfa, Luongo, Palmer, Dunkley, Hutchinson to build on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl84 said:

They are also starting again after a big clear out and no players like Bannan, Windass, Paterson, Iorfa, Luongo, Palmer, Dunkley, Hutchinson to build on.

Got rid of 19 first team players…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

I wouldn't worry about promotion this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I agree, Ipswich will be up there with the players they have recruited and the manager they have. That said, and maybe I’m wearing my blue and white tinted glasses, but maybe we have a better base to work from.

I don’t think they will be adding the players you mention to the quality of players like Bannan, Luongo, Windass, Iorfa, Hutchinson and maybe Patterson. Don’t get me wrong, I think they will be right up there & I’d have loved us to get Bonne and Pigot as they are the areas I think we are weak in.

The quality you mention finish 24th out of 24 last season. Even without the points deduction it would only have been 21st out of 24.

Luongo has been a crock for 18 months, Iorfa not kick a ball in 9 months and has still to play a minute of any preseason game, suggests he is alot further of fit than some think.

Paterson and Windass did score goals but as they are more midfielders than strikers they wasted so many chance that a striker would have scored double. 

Hutch was mr consistent but we all know his injury issues and Bannan a great player 2 years ago but has now not scored a goal in open play for 59 games. 

I hope the players mentioned mentioned step up and play but without free blood we will be nearer bottom 6 to the top 6 with the current squad.

We desperately need at lease 2 league one quality strikers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, owlinexile said:

It's not the sort of business we could have done.

Some people need to seriously adjust their expectations regarding the club's situation.

No with the squad we currently have this season is going to be a season of struggle, not a chance of challenging for promotion but if we pick up a few injuries as we will when you have player like Luongo, Dunkey, Hutch.

The clubs in a desperate state of the pitch due to years of mismanagement but to not bring in a striker risks back to back relegation.

Not to mention nearly every player we have left will be free agents in less than a year. Each season we have a clear out the players coming get worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, room0035 said:

No with the squad we currently have this season is going to be a season of struggle, not a chance of challenging for promotion but if we pick up a few injuries as we will when you have player like Luongo, Dunkey, Hutch.

The clubs in a desperate state of the pitch due to years of mismanagement but to not bring in a striker risks back to back relegation.

Not to mention nearly every player we have left will be free agents in less than a year. Each season we have a clear out the players coming get worse.

A couple of weeks ago it seemed like it was touch and go whether we would even be able to fulfil our fixtures this season.

Avoiding the drop again has to be our first priority.  We've been here before, twice, in recent years.  We know League 1 is not that easy.

It takes a well-drilled squad of players with a system that works to get out of this division.  They don't have to be particularly good players, but they have to be round pegs in round holes and they have to be well organised.  That's what we had with Sturrock and with Megson, and it's what Moore realistically isn't going to have until the last of the current losers are gone and he's been able to build his own side.

I have set my expectations accordingly.

I would add it's going to be much harder this time as we don't even have the ability to pay a couple of hundred grand here and there for the likes of Steven MacLean.  It's free agents and loans or nothing all the way.  Chansiri has put us in a position that even Bob and his magic calculator couldn't manage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

A couple of weeks ago it seemed like it was touch and go whether we would even be able to fulfil our fixtures this season.

Avoiding the drop again has to be our first priority.  We've been here before, twice, in recent years.  We know League 1 is not that easy.

It takes a well-drilled squad of players with a system that works to get out of this division.  They don't have to be particularly good players, but they have to be round pegs in round holes and they have to be well organised.  That's what we had with Sturrock and with Megson, and it's what Moore realistically isn't going to have until the last of the current losers are gone and he's been able to build his own side.

I have set my expectations accordingly.

So have i but also went teams are getting it right such as Ipswich i also acknowledge it.

Our current squad is a bottom half at very best and only 1 or 2 injuries from bottom 6, we cannot have back to back relegation but without some focal point striker before the season starts we could be heading that way.

We only have 1 player who could consistently can score in Windass but he needs service, should he pick up an injury we are hoping kids step up.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So have i but also went teams are getting it right such as Ipswich i also acknowledge it.

Our current squad is a bottom half at very best and only 1 or 2 injuries from bottom 6, we cannot have back to back relegation but without some focal point striker before the season starts we could be heading that way.

We only have 1 player who could consistently can score in Windass but he needs service, should he pick up an injury we are hoping kids step up.

Our current squad is more than capable of challenging for the top 6 and it will only improve with some more additions.

The gulf between the Championship and outside of about 6 teams in League One is massive. We have the spin of a good side with Hutchinson, Bannan and Windass.

To think we won't be finishing in the top half is crazy, we would have finished top half with the squad before any additions were made.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Moore has already said he wants another couple of strikers.

It's easier said than done when we can't even pay a couple of hundred grand to bring in some rough diamond from Scotland or League 2, and can't throw enough money at players to tempt them to join the circus instead of a well-run club that always pays it's players on time or has a genuine chance of promotion.

Some premiership youngster on loan is probably going to be the best we can do, realistically.

24 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The quality you mention finish 24th out of 24 last season. Even without the points deduction it would only have been 21st out of 24.

Luongo has been a crock for 18 months, Iorfa not kick a ball in 9 months and has still to play a minute of any preseason game, suggests he is alot further of fit than some think.

Paterson and Windass did score goals but as they are more midfielders than strikers they wasted so many chance that a striker would have scored double. 

Hutch was mr consistent but we all know his injury issues and Bannan a great player 2 years ago but has now not scored a goal in open play for 59 games. 

I hope the players mentioned mentioned step up and play but without free blood we will be nearer bottom 6 to the top 6 with the current squad.

We desperately need at lease 2 league one quality strikers.

Finished 21/24 in a different league though. And, as you point out a couple of them were injured. That doesn’t mean they lack quality but, as you allude, they will need to get fit and stay fit for us to be successful. 

Hutch barely missed a game since he returned and I’d like to think he’ll be seen as a CB rather than a CH. As for Bannan, I agree his goal return isn’t great but if Moore can get him playing further up the field that may improve.

Agree we desperately need strikers, ideally someone that has good L1 or Champ experience.

3 minutes ago, owl84 said:

Our current squad is more than capable of challenging for the top 6 and it will only improve with some more additions.

The gulf between the Championship and outside of about 6 teams in League One is massive. We have the spin of a good side with Hutchinson, Bannan and Windass.

To think we won't be finishing in the top half is crazy, we would have finished top half with the squad before any additions were made.

Were you not around for the last couple of times we were in this division or something?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

Finished 21/24 in a different league though. And, as you point out a couple of them were injured. That doesn’t mean they lack quality but, as you allude, they will need to get fit and stay fit for us to be successful. 

Hutch barely missed a game since he returned and I’d like to think he’ll be seen as a CB rather than a CH. As for Bannan, I agree his goal return isn’t great but if Moore can get him playing further up the field that may improve.

Agree we desperately need strikers, ideally someone that has good L1 or Champ experience.

Bang on the difference in the leagues is huge, like when teams get relegated from the Prem to the Championship. 

We do need a striker or two but I'm sure Moore knows that.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Were you not around for the last couple of times we were in this division or something?

Can things not change in 10+ years? The gulf between the Prem and Champ and Champ and League One gets bigger each year.