The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, owl84 said:

Can things not change in 10+ years? The gulf between the Prem and Champ and Champ and League One gets bigger each year.

Players don't magically get better when you get relegated.  Never happens.

Bannan isn't going to suddenly learn how to occasionally be in areas of the pitch where he is actually a danger to the opposition at the age of 30-odd just because he is in League 1.

Paterson isnt going to suddenly work out what position he is supposed to play and Windass isn't going to stop running around like a headless chicken.

• Like 1

Just read an article in The Athletic which says Kwadwo Baah is sticking at Watford (but they’ll be looking to loan out Mebude, the young striker they’ve just got from Rangers).

“Joao Pedro will also hope to continue his development and, like new signing Emmanuel Dennis, he can play both centrally or in a wide position to give options alongside Ismaila Sarr and Ken Sema. All that means 19-year-old Dapo Mebude (signed as a free agent after leaving new Scottish champions Rangers) is likely to go out on loan but fellow teenager Kwadwo Baah (also on a free, from third division Rochdale) is set to stay.

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Just read an article in The Athletic which says Kwadwo Baah is sticking at Watford (but they’ll be looking to loan out Mebude, the young striker they’ve just got from Rangers).

“Joao Pedro will also hope to continue his development and, like new signing Emmanuel Dennis, he can play both centrally or in a wide position to give options alongside Ismaila Sarr and Ken Sema. All that means 19-year-old Dapo Mebude (signed as a free agent after leaving new Scottish champions Rangers) is likely to go out on loan but fellow teenager Kwadwo Baah (also on a free, from third division Rochdale) is set to stay.

Mebude was a goal machine in FM for my York City team in the Vanarama National...

9 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Bannan isn't going to suddenly learn how to occasionally be in areas of the pitch where he is actually a danger to the opposition at the age of 30-odd just because he is in League 1.

Paterson isnt going to suddenly work out what position he is supposed to play and Windass isn't going to stop running around like a headless chicken.

My bad I thought Bannan and Windass were both wanted my Championship sides and that Bannan had played all his career at that level along with Paterson.........

Maybe playing games where we will dominate and be on the front foot might allow Bannan to play higher up the pitch just a thought. 

But then again we could write the season off before it starts and not realise this is a fresh start and there are a lot of good/better things happening at the club at the moment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, owl84 said:

My bad I thought Bannan and Windass were both wanted my Championship sides and that Bannan had played all his career at that level along with Paterson.........

Maybe playing games where we will dominate and be on the front foot might allow Bannan to play higher up the pitch just a thought. 

But then again we could write the season off before it starts and not realise this is a fresh start and there are a lot of good/better things happening at the club at the moment.

Also if your point was the case why do a lot of relegated sides lose players to sides in the division they’ve got relegated from if all their players aren’t good enough for that level?

Soon real doom and gloomers in this thread 

we have some great core players in the team were slowly but surely putting youth, pave and energy into the team 

I think if we go with the team we currently have we’re mid table and we’re let down squad depth and no killer striker 

however carry on recruiting like we are 4/5 more players and we’re playoffs 

I can understand why people are negative 

but sign a

keeper 

striker 

another Cb / Lb 

CF

winger 

and we’re fine, we can get a decent 11 out there now 

keeper and striker a priority and we’re good 

16754797-A34F-468F-8542-C1F383D8E076.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Those 3 players you slag off, Bannan, Windass, and Paterson are the best players in our current squad.

You could make an argument for Luongo and Iorfa but they're never fit to play.

If they left, there's no way we would replace them with as good as or better players.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

If you think all that Windass does is run round like a headless then i would like more like him, so we would have 3 players who would get into double figures for goals and assists.

Sign more headless chickens please!!!!

• Like 1

Personally think our best 11 is top 6 capable , however Squad needs adding to for quality and depth . Our best 11 is certainly as good as any in league 1. 
whilst someone like piggott and Bonne are good signings are they better than Windass ? 
Fraser scored 14 for mk but 9 were penalties , 

12 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

It's mental.

You are all setting ridiculous expectations like the last couple of years never happened.

Not being relegated again would be an absolute win for Moore and SWFC.

do you seriously think that? I mean our 11 is surely around the top 6 area even for the most pessimistic of fan? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

do you seriously think that? I mean our 11 is surely around the top 6 area even for the most pessimistic of fan? 

Probably going to regret saying this end of next season, but we probably do.

Iorfa, Bannan, Luongo, Windass, Shodipo would all get into pretty much any other League 1 team.

Problem is we do not have a steady keeper atm, and if we get serious injuries or suspensions then I don't think our back ups are good enough atm.

Think Moore is a good manager for this level too.

Just now, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Of course it isn't.

We have half a dozen mediocre championship players, half of whom are crocks, and a bunch of kids.

It's better than it was a couple of weeks ago, when it seemed quite likely that we were heading towards being the next Bury, and it's even actually going to be quite exciting to see which, if any, of those kids are going to step up to the plate.

But let's not be under any illusions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Probably going to regret saying this end of next season, but we probably do.

Iorfa, Bannan, Luongo, Windass, Shodipo would all get into pretty much any other League 1 team.

Problem is we do not have a steady keeper atm, and if we get serious injuries or suspensions then I don't think our back ups are good enough atm.

Think Moore is a good manager for this level too.

Agree re keeper but think we are aware probably 3 signings off where we want to be , I’d consider loaning one of wildsmith / Dawson out when we sign another 

2 for each position would be( the strongest 2 imo with further players in Squad if needed 

New Dawson

Palmer Dawodu

Hutch

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner /( potentially replace soon ) 

Brown

galvin 

Bannan

Luongo
adenrian

Hunt / Dele 

Green 

Shidapo 

New 

windass 

paterson

new 

hagan

adedoyin

Maybe odd other who can play a few positions 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Of course it isn't.

We have half a dozen mediocre championship players, half of whom are crocks, and a bunch of kids.

It's better than it was a couple of weeks ago, when it seemed quite likely that we were heading towards being the next Bury, and it's even actually going to be quite exciting to see which, if any, of those kids are going to step up to the plate.

But let's not be under any illusions.

a matter of opinion pal but I don’t think there’s more than 6/7 better 11’s than ours in league one 

It is incredible that after one of the worst seasons in recent history and finishing bottom of league people think that We got God given right to get straight back up. If players adopt this mentality we are in for season of struggle. 

Last season we showed lack of quality, determination, concentration, chemistry among our players, etc... Playing at level below wont solve our problems. There were many stronger sides that got relegated to this league and struggled. 

• Like 8

Just now, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

a matter of opinion pal but I don’t think there’s more than 6/7 better 11’s than ours in league one 

Try and look at it from outside the situation.

If you were a supporter of another League One club, would you look at our team sheet and think 'Christ, we'll be lucky to get something from this!' or 'Nothing to be scared of here, I think we'll turn them over...'.

Because it's the second one.  Every time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Personally think our best 11 is top 6 capable , however Squad needs adding to for quality and depth . Our best 11 is certainly as good as any in league 1. 
whilst someone like piggott and Bonne are good signings are they better than Windass ? 
Fraser scored 14 for mk but 9 were penalties , 

Our best 11

Dawson - not played for 6 months because of injury

Left back -  Galvin no league experience, Brown 313 minutes in the last 12 months

Centre back - Borner does not want to be here or Hutch one knock from injury, though stayed fit for all of last season from January.

Centre back - Iorfa not played for 9 months or Dunkley yet to be fit since we signed him

Right back - Palmer should be a solid performer

Left wing - Green 300 minutes of competitive football in 12 months no goals, 1 assist

central midfield -  Bannan no goals in open play in 59 matches, 5 assists and 2 penalties last season.

central midfielder - Luongo not played any football since 2nd Feb, 21 games ago, or Paterson 8 goals and 4 assists last season.

Right midfield - shodipo scored 10 goals and 2 assist playing league one last season.

Forward - Windass 9 goals and 6 assists last season

Forward - Hagan no league experience.

Either add the new lad from Everton with 5 in midfield. We lack goals, we lack consistently, we have a team that has lost 43 of our last 69 league games.

I think its unrealistic to think we are suddenly going to turn into a top 6 league one team without a major squad overall and controlled investment. Which we cannot afford.

You hope for the best, but we are only one DC mistake from yet more issues. We need 2 striker before the season starts, we probably need a experienced goal keeper too. We have no cover for the wings and 4 centre back of which 1 is injured, 2 have a history of injury issues and the other has signed for another team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Try and look at it from outside the situation.

If you were a supporter of another League One club, would you look at our team sheet and think 'Christ, we'll be lucky to get something from this!' or 'Nothing to be scared of here, I think we'll turn them over...'.

Because it's the second one.  Every time.

Personally think a good number of league one clubs would come up against bannan , windass., iorfa , dunkley , luongo etc and think that yes I do pal 

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Soon real doom and gloomers in this thread 

we have some great core players in the team were slowly but surely putting youth, pave and energy into the team 

I think if we go with the team we currently have we’re mid table and we’re let down squad depth and no killer striker 

however carry on recruiting like we are 4/5 more players and we’re playoffs 

I can understand why people are negative 

but sign a

keeper 

striker 

another Cb / Lb 

CF

winger 

and we’re fine, we can get a decent 11 out there now 

keeper and striker a priority and we’re good 

16754797-A34F-468F-8542-C1F383D8E076.jpeg

Where are the goals in this side?

Was pointed out by many on here last pre season that we weren’t singing any players that will get us goals. Looking at that side we’d be very dependant on clean sheets to be getting wins.

• Like 1