• Harris
    • Bannan
    • Windass
    • Shaw
    • Paterson
    • Brown
    • Penney

26 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Don’t get your knickers in a twist. Personally just not into this ‘one of our own nonsense’. Shaw was excellent first half but poor in the second. If you want to give him an extra point for that I find it silly but of course that’s your choice. I don’t remember actually telling you you can’t vote for him...

He wasn’t poor in the second half though. He faded but still work really hard.

3 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Excellent first half but awful in the second. Overall I’m thrilled with the 3 points.

Westwood 7 no surprise we’re winning games since he returned 

Odubajo 6 stuck to his task but he struggled a bit tonight

Lees 8 outstanding. Got beat once all game. Seems to have improved in the air too

Dunkley 8 MOM I love this guy. Infectious personality and can play. A true leader

Palmer 8 excellent assist and goal one clearance

Harris 6 quiet. Works harder than Reach but isn’t as talented 

Pelupessy 5 he’s a bit crap

Bannan 7 better and excellent ball for the Shaw goal

Shaw 7 excellent first half and a good finish. Poor in the second and should have been replaced 

Windass 6 missed a chance. Closed down well

Paterson 7 brilliant goal. Couldn’t believe the touch. Awful defending for their goal

Brown 3 please send him back. He doesn’t give a monkeys

Penney 2 the less said the better. He’s poor, especially in midfield 

Well done to Thompson for playing two up front but his substitutions almost cost us the game.

The usual poo. Bannan wasn’t very good

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

For all those giving Pelupessy the "We can't stand him score" 

Screenshot_20201229-232712_Twitter.jpg

Tackling - yes - he has a great engine and works really hard to win the ball (although Morsy for Middlesbrough was outstanding again against us and does this even better).

That passing stat is a bit misleading though as the position of the pitch he receives the ball he always has options and support (i.e. wingers and strikers often receive the ball under pressure with little support, defenders often have to hit more long clearances down the line).

Plus he rarely attempts a defence splitting or progressive pass that will move us up the pitch. So should be higher than 73%. Bannan's pass completion rate was 67% last night, but it would be hard to argue Pelupessy passed the ball better than Bannan, because Bannan was always looking forward for a progressive option, including setting up one of the goals.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Followed it on Bet365 and for the time Brown was on it kept going to him and then immediately to the opposition. No doubt brought on to hold the ball up and alleviate pressure but seemingly did nothing. Correct assessment?

That's a bit misleading as when he came on we often had 9 men back, so we were basically giving him the ball with 4 men around him and no hope of him keeping it for more than a few seconds. He did win 3 tackles after coming on and manage to release Penney/Odubajo a couple of times, and they couldn't do much with it.

But he's not really mobile enough to be left up top like that. Hopefully we can bring in someone in January with the qualities of a Lucas Joao to help chase balls over the top and help relieve the pressure at the end of matches.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

The usual poo. Bannan wasn’t very good

Apart from setting up yet another goal. Without him we’d literally score NO goals!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Read your original posts out loud to yourself. Focus on the bit where you say what should and shouldn’t influence how someone votes. That’s what telling someone how to vote is. You didn’t say I can’t but you said something that did influence me shouldn’t have. 
My knickers remain untwisted. I just decided to take extra time to point out what you were doing. I don’t expect you to change your mind but I feel obligated to point it out. 

Ok mate. I don’t believe that’s what it means but don’t want to start an argument especially after a win. Shaw scored the winner today, so I’m more than happy if people want to vote for him.

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I think there is something special about scoring a winning goal for the club you support as a boy and have played for since a child. Even more so after the last couple of days. 
It doesn’t happen very often. It one of the few genuinely magical things left in a sport ruined (IMO) by money..

Agreed. Plus it is so important for teams to keep an identity and connection with the local community through a core of local players. Most of the great teams (Man U in the 90s, Barca a decade ago, manage to bring through a core of players). Whereas for other teams that buy in lots of players success tends to be more fleeting and the players agitate for a move after a couple of seasons.

For lower-level Championship clubs it helps improve team spirit and the mentality of the squad - even if some local players are more limited, the likes of Wood, Beevers, Spurr, Palmer, Wildsmith, and now Hunt and Shaw are important parts of the team - I wish we had more players like these over the years than the Jonk, Bothroyd, Abdi, Jeffers-style signings who on paper had been much better careers in the Premier League, but were next to useless for us in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Tackling - yes - he has a great engine and works really hard to win the ball (although Morsy for Middlesbrough was outstanding again against us and does this even better).

That passing stat is a bit misleading though as the position of the pitch he receives the ball he always has options and support (i.e. wingers and strikers often receive the ball under pressure with little support, defenders often have to hit more long clearances down the line).

Plus he rarely attempts a defence splitting or progressive pass that will move us up the pitch. So should be higher than 73%. Bannan's pass completion rate was 67% last night, but it would be hard to argue Pelupessy passed the ball better than Bannan, because Bannan was always looking forward for a progressive option, including setting up one of the goals.

Of course it's a bit misleading for the reasons you say. But he performed well none the less. Had he got a last minute bundle in from a corner goal his rating would have been about 8 or 9 from everyone. The positive stuff like goals and assists goes noticed and the negative stuff goes unnoticed, even if it's 100% tackles won.

Good performance and very much required.

can’t agree on the Bannan comments, he played some horrendous passes last night, and his set plays are still very poor.

on the plus side, he did set up a goal for Shaw with a good ball in and works his socks off.

for the amount of set plays and times he is given possession of the ball, he needs to do better, he’s our captain, our senior outfield player and playmaker.

He has the ability to do way better 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Agreed. Plus it is so important for teams to keep an identity and connection with the local community through a core of local players. Most of the great teams (Man U in the 90s, Barca a decade ago, manage to bring through a core of players). Whereas for other teams that buy in lots of players success tends to be more fleeting and the players agitate for a move after a couple of seasons.

For lower-level Championship clubs it helps improve team spirit and the mentality of the squad - even if some local players are more limited, the likes of Wood, Beevers, Spurr, Palmer, Wildsmith, and now Hunt and Shaw are important parts of the team - I wish we had more players like these over the years than the Jonk, Bothroyd, Abdi, Jeffers-style signings who on paper had been much better careers in the Premier League, but were next to useless for us in the Championship.

Really good post pal

I thought Shaw had a great game. Obviously capping it off with a goal is always nice. Started to tire a little towards the end of the game but to get your first goal for your boyhood club, and becoming a regular in the starting line-up, you've got to give it to him. 

Guest Bulgaria

Much improved performance, we rode our luck on more than one occasion but fully deserved a result. The first 10 minutes it was clear to see the shackles were off.

Shaw MOTM.

Special mention to Lee's and Westwood who although I am not a fan, definitely makes our defense more solid.