Sympathy for the players

13 minutes ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Great Post. 

I feel totally bamboozled by everything Wednesday. 

Nothing seems to make sense. 

I'd like someone to come in and keep it simple. 

After today's game I'd bring in Nathan Jones. With our players against our players under Monk, he'd have won 5-0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I don’t feel for them at all.

It’s not like they’re playing in front of a baying mob who are desperate to jump on their backs at the first possible opportunity.

They are well paid young men, the majority of which aren’t performing to an acceptable standard.

As others have said, it’s the fans I feel more sorry for.

Fair point. I feel for us supporters too. However, we have all been in a position where, either on a football pitch or in our working life we have been mismanaged with a failing strategy. To stay focussed, motivated and believing in that failing strategy is extremely difficult irrespective of how much you are paid or how professional you aspire to be. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Starting to feel for some of our players. I don’t personally see a lack of effort or commitment. Overall we have average Championship players giving their best. I don’t believe they are being given the opportunity to perform to their personal levels. As a result they are receiving unfair stick. Examples would be:

Dawson. Should never have been exposed as a “work in progress” thrown into a struggling team. Not ready for this level (may never be) but that’s not his fault. 
Moses. Signed as one of the divisions brightest wing-backs by a manager who promptly quit to pursue his dream job. Publicly written off by Monk. Repeatedly picked, dropped & picked again. Finally picked in a position that clearly doesn’t suit him and again exposed. 
Harris. Signed as a right midfielder, occasional inside forward. Started brightly in his first dozen games albeit on the flank where he is less comfortable. Promptly converted to a wing-back which exposes his weaknesses ( tackling & positional sense ) and again on the wrong flank which compounds the problems of his weaker foot (attacking and defending)

Joey. Apparently out of his depth but never given a consistent run of games to find his feet. Only really given his opportunity as a last resort whereby the shape and structure of the team is already weakened. 
Fizzy. Given his debut as soon as he arrived having never played a meaningful first team game. Struggled a little and was was instantly dropped, no doubt denting his confidence. Subsequent opportunities have been cameos in a team playing hoof ball, by-passing our own midfield giving him little chance to get on the ball and play. Imagine the culture shock from the City academy!!! 
Bannan. Too often finding himself in positions like Wednesday night and again today where he is culpable for goals conceded due to his lack of physical presence. Again playing in a hoof ball team and permitted by his manager to drop deeper and deeper where he is less and less effective. I don’t fully absolve Bannan from blame but he could be utilised and managed so much better.  
Marriott. Signed as a “fox in the box”. Returned a decent goal tally at Peterborough and Derby playing off a target man. Here he is used as an inside forward in a front 3 (or 2-1/2, who knows ? ? ?) Possibly not received a pass to feet since he arrived, certainly not received a pass into space which could lead to a shot on goal. Left chasing lost causes. I’m sure he was determined to get back on track when he came here but already being written off by some. 
Reach. Don’t get me started

There are others ! ! ! 

To conclude. We have square pegs in round holes, no consistency in selection, poor man management, lack of “football logic” from the coaching team and I feel for the players. 

Sorry for rambling but I saw my first Owls game in 1979 and despite all the ups and downs I’ve never felt so disenfranchised or bereft of hope as I do now. 

Joey ‘apparently out of his depth’... 

Does apparently mean obviously in your head? 

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I don’t disagree with you either Owlmark but anyone who has played the game at any level will know how hard, frustrating, demoralising being played out of position is. Add to that the fact that we’re are playing a style of football whereby if you get to touch the ball, it’s more by accident than design, I still have some sympathy for the players. I do concede your point that they could and maybe should do a little better. 

We agree. Playing in a "system" that you don't agree with or understand must be incredibly frustrating. They also have the problem that if they don't follow instructions they will be dropped. 

9 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

Our players are garbage and offer little in effort. They earn considerably more than me and I have no sympathy for anyone that earns a hell of a lot of money and turns out tripe like that.

There’s no excuse for today’s ineptitude. The manager, coaches and players deserve hell for what I witnessed. 

As a fan, paid less than modern footballers you are entitled to feel that way. My point is for our players it’s like being given a hammer when you need a screwdriver then been criticised by your customer when the screw won’t stay fastened

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Starting to feel for some of our players. I don’t personally see a lack of effort or commitment. Overall we have average Championship players giving their best. I don’t believe they are being given the opportunity to perform to their personal levels. As a result they are receiving unfair stick. Examples would be:

Dawson. Should never have been exposed as a “work in progress” thrown into a struggling team. Not ready for this level (may never be) but that’s not his fault. 
Moses. Signed as one of the divisions brightest wing-backs by a manager who promptly quit to pursue his dream job. Publicly written off by Monk. Repeatedly picked, dropped & picked again. Finally picked in a position that clearly doesn’t suit him and again exposed. 
Harris. Signed as a right midfielder, occasional inside forward. Started brightly in his first dozen games albeit on the flank where he is less comfortable. Promptly converted to a wing-back which exposes his weaknesses ( tackling & positional sense ) and again on the wrong flank which compounds the problems of his weaker foot (attacking and defending)

Joey. Apparently out of his depth but never given a consistent run of games to find his feet. Only really given his opportunity as a last resort whereby the shape and structure of the team is already weakened. 
Fizzy. Given his debut as soon as he arrived having never played a meaningful first team game. Struggled a little and was was instantly dropped, no doubt denting his confidence. Subsequent opportunities have been cameos in a team playing hoof ball, by-passing our own midfield giving him little chance to get on the ball and play. Imagine the culture shock from the City academy!!! 
Bannan. Too often finding himself in positions like Wednesday night and again today where he is culpable for goals conceded due to his lack of physical presence. Again playing in a hoof ball team and permitted by his manager to drop deeper and deeper where he is less and less effective. I don’t fully absolve Bannan from blame but he could be utilised and managed so much better.  
Marriott. Signed as a “fox in the box”. Returned a decent goal tally at Peterborough and Derby playing off a target man. Here he is used as an inside forward in a front 3 (or 2-1/2, who knows ? ? ?) Possibly not received a pass to feet since he arrived, certainly not received a pass into space which could lead to a shot on goal. Left chasing lost causes. I’m sure he was determined to get back on track when he came here but already being written off by some. 
Reach. Don’t get me started

There are others ! ! ! 

To conclude. We have square pegs in round holes, no consistency in selection, poor man management, lack of “football logic” from the coaching team and I feel for the players. 

Sorry for rambling but I saw my first Owls game in 1979 and despite all the ups and downs I’ve never felt so disenfranchised or bereft of hope as I do now. 

Great Post. Spot on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

It's clearly not the players for me today, it's the tactics. It was clear getting crosses into their box today was the objective, and our success at that was poor.

I don't even know what formation we played today and I watched all of it it on iFollow.

I could see the plan may have worked, but our midfield can't even work the ball into a position to cross, and when they do cross, the delivery is always into the wrong area. No consistency of crossing our attacking movement.

The most worrying thing about Monks current strategy is he's not bought a target man, and he let Nuhiu go. The mind boggles.

This has been going on far too long. There have been a number of questionable decisions which have been made since last Christmas by Monk. I can only conclude Monk isn't that bright. It can't always be the players fault.

I thought Monk had run out of luck at the end of last season. The problem is Monk had clearly been involved in the recruitment of these players. 

I'm still of the opinion I would like to see Monk given the chance to craft something out of this squad of players, but time is running out. He's got to fix the problem with invention in our midfield, and fast.

Defeat to Rotherham could be the final straw for Monk.

How many games did Bullen get at the start of last season?

There are many, many tactics  that can be used on the training ground to improve creativity and attacking threat. Even simple U11’s stuff like “wall pass” and “third man running” are effective drills to create space and opportunities to cross or shoot. Good coaches can help their players to routinely create overloads or penetrating passes. When I see the intent but not the execution, I blame the player. When I don’t see the intent, I blame the coach. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Joey ‘apparently out of his depth’... 

Does apparently mean obviously in your head? 

Yes but I can’t blame him not for being of the required quality when he appears  to be trying his best. I can’t play the piano but I could get a sound out of it. Joey has been awarded a new contract by Monk, why if he doesn’t rate him ?Monk chooses to select him. Monk hasn’t given him a run of games to prove or disprove his ability. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I don’t feel for them at all.

It’s not like they’re playing in front of a baying mob who are desperate to jump on their backs at the first possible opportunity.

They are well paid young men, the majority of which aren’t performing to an acceptable standard.

As others have said, it’s the fans I feel more sorry for.

I understand what you are saying, they are not playing well that's for sure.

However, in order for them to be as effective as they can be surely it would make sense to play to their strengths?

• When we signed Harris how many thought it would be a good idea to turn him into a wing back and give him added defensive responsibility?
  • Has anyone in football other than Monk ever thought of the genius idea to play Moses as a centre-back?
  • What are the odds of playing long ball football without a target man being successful on a regular basis?
  • Playing players on the 'wrong side' is good for change of tact every now and again, doing it every game probably doesn't get the best out of players
  • We have even resorted to putting our tallest CB out on the right of midfield to aim for from goal kicks and when he doesn't win it or we lose the second ball he can be seen lumbering back into his normal position as the opposition attack us.

That's the football we know and love folks. I don't enjoy it and judging by the frustration shown on the field, they don't appear to either. 

6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Yes but I can’t blame him not for being of the required quality when he appears  to be trying his best. I can’t play the piano but I could get a sound out of it. Joey has been awarded a new contract by Monk, why if he doesn’t rate him ?Monk chooses to select him. Monk hasn’t given him a run of games to prove or disprove his ability. 

Because our academy is awful and unfortunately have no one else to replace him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Monk signed Dele Bashiru this summer, has he deemed him to be no better than Pelupessy as well? 

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Cant disagree Sefton but Joey doesn’t pick himself. I know it’s controversial but Monk chose to ostracise Hutchinson who many feel did a better job than Joey does. Monk chooses to pick Joey ahead of Fizzy ( who he signed ) I personally would give Palmer a go instead of Joey ( remember he was voted player of the season by fans in a midfield role in 2014). If Monk genuinely feels Joey isn’t good enough he has had a transfer window to resolve. We have goalkeeper and CDM questions to answer of Monks making, whether you agree with his reasons or not. 

We have very average players who the coaching and management seem unable to develop or inspire to perform above their abilities as individuals or as a team unit.

Today we were well beaten. Luton should have won by 2 or 3 goals. Thing that disappoints the most is that it wasn’t a surprise or unexpected. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Agree fully. Tactics and formation are totally odd and don't match the players at all. We have conformed to 343 because most of the league now play it. I think we've done this to match teams and therefore keep scorelines tighter. However, it is ignorant to the attributes of the players. It might keep costing us points. 

Interesting that you thought we were playing 3-4-3

I watched every one of those painful 94 minutes but could see neither formation or pattern to our play.

Perhaps I missed the 4 in midfield because the ball was constantly hoofed over their heads.

Maybe I missed that there were 3 up front because they never had possession of the ball.

And I’m sure I missed the fact there were 3 at the back because there very rarely were when it counted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1