Is it wrong to question what's happening at the club?

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad

Over the years this site has provided a brilliant discussion forum with a huge number of fans represented, and topics have ranged wildly from HMRC to Andy Blair's hair

During that time there has also at times been an almost forensic analysis of the club's financial dealings and this has proved hugely important as a means of communicating in layman's terms how financially strong (or weak) the club is at various stages.

We do benefit from the input of numerous well qualified Owlstalkers who can make sense of this.

So when these matters are raised and things don't necessarily look good inevitably other Owlstalkers can get worried, or even angry about that info in the public domain. Or more often than not - angry at the person communicating it. Over the years I've been advised of being anti club. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

One thing we ALL share is a love of the club that means we spend (literally) hours of our time every week discussing it on here (and elsewhere). It's that love of the club that leads to worry when news emerges like this week's. Obviously there will be differing views. Some will dismiss it as irrelevant, some will focus on it. But my major worry over the years is that the club is sustainable and will exist for at least another 150 years. 

That's why it's so important that the club communicates with it's fans. And this needs to improve. Putting it's head in the sand and waiting for things to blow over isn't the way we should be dealing with things.

I guess what I'm saying is - go easy on the worriers. That's all it is. Not intentional rabble rousing. Just worry.

Thanks

Guest Grandad
Just now, mattitheowl said:

The problem isn't discussion or questioning, it's that people instantly form an opinion one way or another based on absolutely zero knowledge of the situation.  I'd be surprised if there were more than 10 people on this site who truly understood how the mechanics of something like this works, let alone the specifics in the case at hand.

I agree with that

Although much of it is formed by experience (which on the whole hasn't been great - for long before Mr Chansiri got involved)

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

I agree with that

Although much of it is formed by experience (which on the whole hasn't been great - for long before Mr Chansiri got involved)

Agreed.

But people have to look at a situation objectively and not just jump to the conclusion that because we've made bad decisions in the past doesn't mean this is one.

A broken clock is right twice a day as they say (unless it's digital).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just not bothered...

We’re emotionally invested (and financially invested if you count the refunds due or multi year season tickets) 

but its hard to imagine that we can solve anything that is this much above our heads - football is now out of control - even to owners 

Fans should no way give up their voice or custom, but it’s like when the local pub goes down the drain and they build a Tesco - the people who enjoy the pub can’t do anything to stop it. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Over the years this site has provided a brilliant discussion forum with a huge number of fans represented, and topics have ranged wildly from HMRC to Andy Blair's hair

During that time there has also at times been an almost forensic analysis of the club's financial dealings and this has proved hugely important as a means of communicating in layman's terms how financially strong (or weak) the club is at various stages.

We do benefit from the input of numerous well qualified Owlstalkers who can make sense of this.

So when these matters are raised and things don't necessarily look good inevitably other Owlstalkers can get worried, or even angry about that info in the public domain. Or more often than not - angry at the person communicating it. Over the years I've been advised of being anti club. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

One thing we ALL share is a love of the club that means we spend (literally) hours of our time every week discussing it on here (and elsewhere). It's that love of the club that leads to worry when news emerges like this week's. Obviously there will be differing views. Some will dismiss it as irrelevant, some will focus on it. But my major worry over the years is that the club is sustainable and will exist for at least another 150 years. 

That's why it's so important that the club communicates with it's fans. And this needs to improve. Putting it's head in the sand and waiting for things to blow over isn't the way we should be dealing with things.

I guess what I'm saying is - go easy on the worriers. That's all it is. Not intentional rabble rousing. Just worry.

Thanks

Well, i'd love to hear our leaders thoughts on the last two years and the plans for the future. When did anybody last hear anything from him?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Hornsby

If this lender - who bankrupted Watford -also has a floating charge covering club shares, that's a disaster.

I like to think I can debate the topics on here in a non sensationalist way, trying to use my professional knowledge to guide people on certain technicalities.

However I do get nervous about loans on the stadium, legal charges because we are almost at the 10 year anniversary of our most infamous day on the High Court steps.

We are clearly way way from that step at present but having lived that period when it felt that we could lose this club - I never wanted to see us ever start down that path again

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I like to think I can debate the topics on here in a non sensationalist way, trying to use my professional knowledge to guide people on certain technicalities.

However I do get nervous about loans on the stadium, legal charges because we are almost at the 10 year anniversary of our most infamous day on the High Court steps.

We are clearly way way from that step at present but having lived that period when it felt that we could lose this club - I never wanted to see us ever start down that path again

Problem with football and the Championship mainly is the structure 

You have the carrot of reaching the premiership which most supporters and Chairmen or owners crave but you are only allowed to spend so much money doing it 

Chansiri fell into the trap of trying to get there to quickly and got his fingers burnt 

We can only hope he has the financial clout to manoeuvre us out of this mess because finding another bankroller in our situation is going to be mission impossible 

the other alternative is frightening 

• Like 2

Just now, Ibbo48 said:

Social media has created a polarisation of views.

People are becoming incapable of seeing anything that doesn’t agree with their own stance on any subject.

Their answer is to be hostile and intolerant.

You get sarcasm and smart ass answers in an attempt to belittle someone who doesn’t see it their way.

Its not just here it’s on every single ‘ forum ‘ there is. 

On a serious note - and this is deadly serious - Russia employs thousands of people and uses 'bots' on the internet to create this situation.

They don't care what you get angry about or who gets in power or what's going on - they just want everyone confused and angry

True story

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Ibbo48 said:

Social media has created a polarisation of views.

People are becoming incapable of seeing anything that doesn’t agree with their own stance on any subject.

Their answer is to be hostile and intolerant.

You get sarcasm and smart ass answers in an attempt to belittle someone who doesn’t see it their way.

Its not just here it’s on every single ‘ forum ‘ there is. 

You should look at the Politics section on here !

But the lack of debate / discussion on social media is one of my bugbears and tbf OT is not so bad 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

On a serious note - and this is deadly serious - Russia employs thousands of people and uses 'bots' on the internet to create this situation.

They don't care what you get angry about or who gets in power or what's going on - they just want everyone confused and angry

True story

You must be earning a fortune from Putin :biggrin:

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

True story

If anyone’s not seen it , watch

the Social Dilemma on Netflix.

I’ll say no more.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True story

Dontbefuckinstupid 

😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1