Is it wrong to question what's happening at the club?

Guest Grandad

1 minute ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The issue for me is that any defending of the chairman or his actions, or understanding of the difficult circumstances under which all clubs are operating, gets lambasted with smart ar.se comments and ridicule, all of a sudden you're a "clapper", "lapdog" or a "fanboy". 

That's a backlash from the years of certain fans calling fans questioning things names,  mocking them, pressing the laughing smiley, posting 'priceless' after their posts, saying they're not real fans, saying they're undercover pig fans etc etc

It's just a reaction to that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

In answer to the OP, it's right to question everything, there are questions to be asked about the running of the club, the same as at any club, SWFC is no different and DC isn't above criticism, the same as owners of other clubs aren't.

The issue for me is that any defending of the chairman or his actions, or understanding of the difficult circumstances under which all clubs are operating, gets lambasted with smart ar.se comments and ridicule, all of a sudden you're a "clapper", "lapdog" or a "fanboy".

So no, it isn't wrong to question the club at all, but it was a bit odd though looking back that nobody had the knives out for Mandaric when he took loans out against the ground??

just like when people question the chairman or the running of the club people say they must be pigs or want the club to end up in court again to prove them right about DC.....

• Like 2

Is it really??   I don't think it's that at all. 

Yeah totally mate

They've had it for years

Even goes back to Dave Allen days where fans were (rightly) questioning some of the choices Dave made  and got labelled all kind of horrific names, got called Pig Fans, not true fans etc etc

It's continued through any/every chairman/manager and anyone who ever dared to suggest that there was something worthy of debate got immediately attacked by the Uberfans

It's where it's come from

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Uberfans??  We're all the same, nobody is more a fan than anybody else.  

HALLELUJAH!

I've been preaching this for years but the Uberfans believe otherwise

The term 'uberfans' only came about due to the way they were behaving towards other Wednesday fans, calling them pig fans, mocking them for not being able to go to as many games as they did, questioning anything (ANYTHING) about the club, the finances, or even the managers tactics

Anyway - we have flushed most of these folk out now and got rid so not really worth dragging this convo on

Owlstalk Shop

Of course its right to question what's happening at the club.

Football has changed in my 60 years of following the Owls. Today its all about money , capitalism established itself into the good old game and 

the chasm between PL clubs and lower league  is immense. Its sad because fans are so removed from any say in what happens to their beloved teams.

We are all at the mercy of owners who often have absolutely no connection to the team or locality. There cannot be many clubs who still owe their 

stadiums and are not carrying enormous debt.

I am concerned for the future of our club, however I am more concerned that the game as whole will implode. We know the current 

financial situation in the game is not sustainable, and  its frustrating we cannot do anything to effect matters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The intensity of hatred for DC is disconcerting though, the abuse his family has had online from trolls is disgusting, theres let new you don't cross as fans, we've lowered ourselves, there is no such thing as WAWAW.

yes we are all the same and all want what is best for the club, people think DC is doing a good job, fair enough, people question how he is running the club, fair enough. Doesn’t make people any less of a fan for either belief. I completely agree about it being bang out of order for people to abuse his family on line. Disgraceful if it does happen. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

5 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The intensity of hatred for DC is disconcerting though, the abuse his family has had online from trolls is disgusting 

I've never seen any of that

I'm guessing it's Att getting abuse on Twitter?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

Was raised at a steering group meeting, I think it prompted the whole "I'll sell up if that's what you want" speech from DC.

I remember

I can't recall ever seeing anything at all though can you?

Has anyone ever seen this so called abuse?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Over the years this site has provided a brilliant discussion forum with a huge number of fans represented, and topics have ranged wildly from HMRC to Andy Blair's hair

During that time there has also at times been an almost forensic analysis of the club's financial dealings and this has proved hugely important as a means of communicating in layman's terms how financially strong (or weak) the club is at various stages.

We do benefit from the input of numerous well qualified Owlstalkers who can make sense of this.

So when these matters are raised and things don't necessarily look good inevitably other Owlstalkers can get worried, or even angry about that info in the public domain. Or more often than not - angry at the person communicating it. Over the years I've been advised of being anti club. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

One thing we ALL share is a love of the club that means we spend (literally) hours of our time every week discussing it on here (and elsewhere). It's that love of the club that leads to worry when news emerges like this week's. Obviously there will be differing views. Some will dismiss it as irrelevant, some will focus on it. But my major worry over the years is that the club is sustainable and will exist for at least another 150 years. 

That's why it's so important that the club communicates with it's fans. And this needs to improve. Putting it's head in the sand and waiting for things to blow over isn't the way we should be dealing with things.

I guess what I'm saying is - go easy on the worriers. That's all it is. Not intentional rabble rousing. Just worry.

Thanks

Fans have every right to question anyone involved with the club in my view. No one should be off limits to scrutiny. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Over the years this site has provided a brilliant discussion forum with a huge number of fans represented, and topics have ranged wildly from HMRC to Andy Blair's hair

During that time there has also at times been an almost forensic analysis of the club's financial dealings and this has proved hugely important as a means of communicating in layman's terms how financially strong (or weak) the club is at various stages.

We do benefit from the input of numerous well qualified Owlstalkers who can make sense of this.

So when these matters are raised and things don't necessarily look good inevitably other Owlstalkers can get worried, or even angry about that info in the public domain. Or more often than not - angry at the person communicating it. Over the years I've been advised of being anti club. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

One thing we ALL share is a love of the club that means we spend (literally) hours of our time every week discussing it on here (and elsewhere). It's that love of the club that leads to worry when news emerges like this week's. Obviously there will be differing views. Some will dismiss it as irrelevant, some will focus on it. But my major worry over the years is that the club is sustainable and will exist for at least another 150 years. 

That's why it's so important that the club communicates with it's fans. And this needs to improve. Putting it's head in the sand and waiting for things to blow over isn't the way we should be dealing with things.

I guess what I'm saying is - go easy on the worriers. That's all it is. Not intentional rabble rousing. Just worry.

Thanks

Communication.. said it for years ( not just DC) . The club has always not recognised the value of it.

Excellent communication is the foundation of the worlds most successful businesses.

That is fact

• Like 3

Guest hirstysfags

Is it right to question the club? 

No. Unless you have a vested business interest in the club, then it's literally none of our business. We pay to go watch a sporting event. I'd like to know what happens to the £ we spend but I don't think we have a right to know.

Guest Grandad
24 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

In answer to the OP, it's right to question everything, there are questions to be asked about the running of the club, the same as at any club, SWFC is no different and DC isn't above criticism, the same as owners of other clubs aren't.

So no, it isn't wrong to question the club at all, but it was a bit odd though looking back that nobody had the knives out for Mandaric when he took loans out against the ground??

Thats absolutely NOT true at all. I raised it on here and even met Paul Aldridge to question what was going off - and he outlined everything and agreed it was right that the information was in the public domain

20 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Is it really??   I don't think it's that at all.

People have made their mind up to hate DC, why didn't they hate MM?   

I don't think anybody hates DC at all - I've seen no evidence of that.

What I do see lots of is people raising genuine concerns and being labelled as DC haters by others.

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah totally mate

They've had it for years

Even goes back to Dave Allen days where fans were (rightly) questioning some of the choices Dave made  and got labelled all kind of horrific names, got called Pig Fans, not true fans etc etc

It's continued through any/every chairman/manager and anyone who ever dared to suggest that there was something worthy of debate got immediately attacked by the Uberfans

It's where it's come from

I received threats of violence numerous times when going through the legal action with Dave Allen

13 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The intensity of hatred for DC is disconcerting though, the abuse his family has had online from trolls is disgusting, theres lines you don't cross as fans, we've lowered ourselves, there is no such thing as WAWAW.

I have never seen any online abuse towards Att or any of his family (despite it being mentioned numerous times) but if it is happening I agree its disgusting. 

Guest hirstysfags
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WOW

Are you a shareholder Neil? I used to be and so I had a right to question it at AGMs. Obviously none of us are now. We are simply paying customers at the end of the day.  

Guest Grandad
Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

Sorry to hear about the threats of violence you received mate.

Water off a ducks back mate. Thankfully nothing crossed the line but it did make me wonder if its worth it a few times. Especially as football for me was always about spending time with my family