Quite possibly the worst rule ever

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Think its coming in for the new season.

Yeah, just googled it. Well, it’s an improvement and at least it removes the problem that a team can’t score until they lose possession or it becomes dead. Shame it still penalises insignificant accidental handballs though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

Yeah, just googled it. Well, it’s an improvement and at least it removes the problem that a team can’t score until they lose possession or it becomes dead. Shame it still penalises insignificant accidental handballs though.

That's the problem though isnt it. whats accidental and what's not? 

If they are going to have this rule. which they are. Then it has to ball every touch by an attacking player so there is not controversy. 

At least it's fair for all teams. 

Imagine how many extra goals the big teams may get if they didnt.

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

That's the problem though isnt it. whats accidental and what's not? 

If they are going to have this rule. which they are. Then it has to ball every touch by an attacking player so there is not controversy. 

At least it's fair for all teams. 

Imagine how many extra goals the big teams may get if they didnt.

If that’s the case, how can they differentiate between what’s accidental and what isn’t when it comes to penalties or free kicks? They have set guidelines for those, which the referee and VAR refs apply. They used to apply those same guidelines for goals too. The problem with the new law is that it penalises attacking, whereas defenders are only subject to the old guidelines.

The only thing this law can do is reduce the number of goals scored, but I don’t remember anyone complaining that there were too many goals before they brought the law in last year.

3 hours ago, Hedwig said:

I blame tika-taka football (or whatever it;s called) - my belief is that this is where this rule was born from..

The FA and other powers are trying to make the English game quicker, more fluent and more enjoyable by trying to re-create Spanish (Barcelona) & Brazilian ways of playing the game.

In most cases, slow, then high tempo phases of the game - possession based play..

This simply does not cater for most of the British teams as we are still "catching up" to that style of play..

Pep has brought it to Man City as the "go-to" coaching style he had at Barca & Bayern, where they had acomplished players, coached in that way from a ayoung age who can play that system..

Add John Stones (for example) into the mix and how many times have you seen him give the ball away in dangerous positions - he hasn't been coached into that way of playing..

SO, the better sides may have a better chance, but it is not 100% guaranteed that it will work.

English teams are now trying to adapt to this system but a lot of the central defenders have been coached through grassroots / academy for years completely differently and some will struggle.

good post 👍 can’t wait for the cup final. Both teams Attempt to  play this way. Should be a thriller.  Just like in the 70s. 

5 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

If that’s the case, how can they differentiate between what’s accidental and what isn’t when it comes to penalties or free kicks? They have set guidelines for those, which the referee and VAR refs apply. They used to apply those same guidelines for goals too. The problem with the new law is that it penalises attacking, whereas defenders are only subject to the old guidelines.

The only thing this law can do is reduce the number of goals scored, but I don’t remember anyone complaining that there were too many goals before they brought the law in last year.

Cant really argue against that.

What I will say is they think it is right for whatever reason and I do like laws which are black and white which this is. You handball it in anyway it's no goal. The last thing we need is another law open to debate. 

I guess they look at it and say it will cut out any blatant cheating. Which to be fair it will. Of course it will also mean in some cases teams are hard done by. But as it's the same for all then people cant really complain can they and say they have have more or less decisions because of it.

12 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

The rule would be fine if the same applies to defenders. 

How can a defender ‘accidently’ handle the ball but, an attacker can’t?

I think it's simply because the opponent has the ball not you. So if this was made a law in the same way. Boot the ball at your opponents hand, arm anything. Instant penalty.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think it's simply because the opponent has the ball not you. So if this was made a law in the same way. Boot the ball at your opponents hand, arm anything. Instant penalty.

I just feel that it has to be fair for both teams. A defender could accidentally handle the ball onto the attacking players arm, a goal Is scored and, the attacking team are penalised for the defending technically committing the same offence.

6 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I just feel that it has to be fair for both teams. A defender could accidentally handle the ball onto the attacking players arm, a goal Is scored and, the attacking team are penalised for the defending technically committing the same offence.

Maybe, but in an attacking sense it is fair on both teams. And if what you said happened in the next game to the other team then that has evened its self out. Rules are the same for all.

23 hours ago, 109Waddle said:

I wonder why the rule was changed in the first place? Must admit it’s a hard watch when teams try to play this way but can’t do it ie. when Jos had Tom Lees receiving the ball, shudder. I’m all for variety, hopefully not all teams will go down the man city route but worry that’s already happening. 

HATE the playing out from the back 'pure' football mantra....I couldnt care less,who thinks their skillful passing sideways and backwards..Howard had the right idea,get the ball as quickly as possible into your opponents half,keep possession and than get a quality ball forward into the final third,and the opponent box.

Idea being your wing backs/forwards,etc et al  (similar to the Blades) will get forward,find space,and create goal scoring chances. (and GOALS_)

Was very exciting under Howard

4 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

No, the teammate wouldn’t be credited with the goal as it was going in anyway and the teammate’s touch didn’t alter that. As happens with all deflected goals. The teammate isn’t “scoring with his arm” because it didn’t affect the original shot on goal, as I made very clear.

Goals with insignificant touches to attackers’ arms have been allowed, most likely, since football began, and without controversy. Until this season when the rule was changed.

You still don’t seem to understand this basic concept, so I would definitely agree that you are out of touch with the modern game. Or just out of touch with football in general, modern or otherwise.

i know enough that the the bloke who gets the final touch is the one who scored it .......you convince me that if someone takes a shot  thats heading towards the goal that his teammate who gets the final touch isnt the one who claims the goal ....give me an instance ......or give me an instance when the ref as seen someone score off his arm and allowed it coz it was going in anyway . 

44 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i know enough that the the bloke who gets the final touch is the one who scored it .......you convince me that if someone takes a shot  thats heading towards the goal that his teammate who gets the final touch isnt the one who claims the goal ....give me an instance ......or give me an instance when the ref as seen someone score off his arm and allowed it coz it was going in anyway . 

On the first point I’ll concede. When I was writing it I got mixed up thinking about minor deflections that had come off defenders and how they’re not given as own-goals when the trajectory isn’t significantly changed. And I’m sorry for being rude to you, I have no excuse.

On the second point I’m absolutely sure I could find footage of incidents like that, but it’ll probably take some time to find them. The point I’m making is about the difference between the older law on handball where it has to fit certain criteria (intent, position of the hand/arm, proximity to whoever played the ball, etc) which still applies in all other scenarios in the game, and a change in the criteria being brought only to prevent goals being scored. It would at least be fairer and make sense if the same thing applied to other situations in the game (penalties, for example) but it isn’t.

As I said before, few people - if any - were asking for this rule change, hence why so many people are baffled about it now that they’re starting to see it being applied in live games. The universal reaction at the time to the Spurs goal being disallowed in particular showed that people find it to be an absolutely ridiculous law that should never have been brought in. I wasn’t even watching the live game myself, but I happened to go onto social media and saw it had practically gone into meltdown about it, and nobody was saying the new law was a good thing (apart from some Blades, perhaps).

Anyway, again, I’m sorry for being rude in that earlier post. It was wrong of me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

On the first point I’ll concede. When I was writing it I got mixed up thinking about minor deflections that had come off defenders and how they’re not given as own-goals when the trajectory isn’t significantly changed. And I’m sorry for being rude to you, I have no excuse.

On the second point I’m absolutely sure I could find footage of incidents like that, but it’ll probably take some time to find them. The point I’m making is about the difference between the older law on handball where it has to fit certain criteria (intent, position of the hand/arm, proximity to whoever played the ball, etc) which still applies in all other scenarios in the game, and a change in the criteria being brought only to prevent goals being scored. It would at least be fairer and make sense if the same thing applied to other situations in the game (penalties, for example) but it isn’t.

As I said before, few people - if any - were asking for this rule change, hence why so many people are baffled about it now that they’re starting to see it being applied in live games. The universal reaction at the time to the Spurs goal being disallowed in particular showed that people find it to be an absolutely ridiculous law that should never have been brought in. I wasn’t even watching the live game myself, but I happened to go onto social media and saw it had practically gone into meltdown about it, and nobody was saying the new law was a good thing (apart from some Blades, perhaps).

Anyway, again, I’m sorry for being rude in that earlier post. It was wrong of me.

I am thinking this is a rule that they have been thinking about for sometime. Must have been. Rules will be carefully thought out and to benefit the game in some way. 

But up until VAR never really had a proper way to police it properly, but now they can.