Quite possibly the worst rule ever

5 hours ago, madowl47 said:

Goal kicks ... doesn’t have to go out of the area. 

what are they thinking ?? 

As if football couldn’t get any more boring watching Man City 

this rule is one made by complete buffoons who don’t really understand it’s a spectator sport. 

Been watching Footie since well before the badge was changed for the worse.  This rule is a complete joke and ruins the game. 

(in my opinion ... which is correct🤣

Crikey. Go on then, I’ll have a nibble.

How on earth does the rule cause the game to become more boring?

The amount of times teams lose possession high up the pitch whilst trying to play out from the back is frightening. How’s that boring in any way, shape or form? 

Teams played short goal kicks pre rule change. It’s been going on for years.

The worst rule of them all is the monstrosity that is the new handball rule.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

Has the OP been in a coma since this "new" rule was introduced over a year ago?

He seems to have been in a coma since 2014 until regaining conciousness last Monday.:rolleyes:

Edited by oldtawnyowl

Guest Kagoshimaowl

It’s a much better rule. The only reason you’re upset with it is our own team are absolutely crap at keeping possession.

Guest mrbluesky
9 hours ago, madowl47 said:

I’m moaning about football making it easier for top clubs. There’s already a gap that will never be closed again. Why give em more advantage with a rule designed for top footballers. 

ask yer sen ..why do we boot it ?? 

Because we are stuck in the 80`s, a bit like you 😄

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

i tend to agree with the  new rule ... i once saw andy ritchie score a goal for leeds against us that wouldnt have gone in if it hadnt accidentally hit his hand ....i felt we'd been robbed .....i fail to see that because he didnt mean to handle it then it should have stood 

But then you get nonsense decisions like Moura v Blades where is he fouled and the ball hits his hand as he is falling. Never a handball in a million years

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

i tend to agree with the  new rule ... i once saw andy ritchie score a goal for leeds against us that wouldnt have gone in if it hadnt accidentally hit his hand ....i felt we'd been robbed .....i fail to see that because he didnt mean to handle it then it should have stood 

Is that the one where his hand just happened punch the ball in the net because he couldn't reach it with his head ??

8 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

What a crap thread

whys that ?  Thought this was for discussion.  Why take time to get involved ?  I don’t get it. And obviously .... neither do you. 

For me .. the rule makes football a poorer place 🤷‍♂️  Why can’t it be mentioned ??  

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Because we are stuck in the 80`s, a bit like you 😄

and we will remain there forever .. with new rule changes helping the better players / clubs. 

there’s no substance to your replies by the way. 

FA cup ties they’ll be no more giant killings.  Lesser teams won’t get a kick. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This is the way it’s going. 

No tackling will be next.  Social distancing football cos someone might take it off Jesus 

that’s the Man City player not the messiah 👍

9 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Unless the wording has changed in the last 30 years, it was only obstruction if you were preventing a player reaching the ball AND the ball was 'not within your own playing distance'. i.e. you couldn't reach the ball yourself if you wanted to.

But if it happened anywhere else on the pitch it would be foul

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
24 minutes ago, madowl47 said:

and we will remain there forever .. with new rule changes helping the better players / clubs. 

there’s no substance to your replies by the way. 

*FA cup ties they’ll be no more giant killings.  Lesser teams won’t get a kick*. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. This is the way it’s going. 

No tackling will be next.  Social distancing football cos someone might take it off Jesus 

that’s the Man City player not the messiah 👍

Plenty of substance and plenty of evidence, by the way, football has moved on from the 80`s, I`m guessing you haven`t, put your rule back in, and teams would still be doing it, what then? shall we go to grassroots rules, where players have to stand at the halfway line for a goal kick?

Not many people like to see balls "lumped up" that I know

Pep`s teams have been doing it for years, well before the rule you don`t like, then many teams followed (before the rule, you don`t like)

Let`s take Wilder,as well, Christ he was doing it with Northampton in league 2! I know this, because a friend is a Northampton fan, hardly world beaters.

If you want to blame something, blame the £££££ in football, not the rules  

*Utter nonsense*  

11 hours ago, wakefieldinleed1 said:

Leeds fan in peace.

one of the reason it was brought in, was teams were starting to cheat with the old rule.

they could waste time by deliberately passing it to someone In the box, ref would have to make them retake it. 

in other words waste time 

That was my understanding of the issue.

Thought that was why they changed it.

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

i dont know the rule but if someone handles it and his team go on to score a goal i'd be aggrieved that it was allowed  it was against us .......how can it be insignificant if the team score ?

Because the ball can lightly brush a player’s arm, not affecting its trajectory or speed, making absolutely no difference to the passage of play. Just look at the Spurs goal that was disallowed against Sheffield United. None of players even knew it had touched anybody’s arm. The Spurs player had been pushed over earlier in the move and the ball had brushed his arm as he fell to the ground.

If a goal had been scored against Wednesday and that had happened I certainly wouldn’t be calling for handball because it was so insignificant (and because nobody noticed it). You have to remember that a handball of the same type that isn’t in the same passage of play as a goal is considered to be accidental and play carries on.

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Plenty of substance and plenty of evidence, by the way, football has moved on from the 80`s, I`m guessing you haven`t, put your rule back in, and teams would still be doing it, what then? shall we go to grassroots rules, where players have to stand at the halfway line for a goal kick?

Not many people like to see balls "lumped up" that I know

Pep`s teams have been doing it for years, well before the rule you don`t like, then many teams followed (before the rule, you don`t like)

Let`s take Wilder,as well, Christ he was doing it with Northampton in league 2! I know this, because a friend is a Northampton fan, hardly world beaters.

If you want to blame something, blame the £££££ in football, not the rules  

*Utter nonsense*  

Bit better.  👍

how can they still do it if the rule is changed.  ?

Happy with a team passing short of it goes out of the area. But two players stood in the area keeper taps it to one of em passing it along the goal line is to me just not the way football should look. ..  

and I do blame the ££££ s introduced into the game for its demise 100%. Cap the salaries. 

Players could choose where to play. 50 grand a week. Maybe 25 grand  Allow all clubs to compete.  If superstars don’t like such a paltry sum ... who are we to care. ??

The bubble will burst.  ...  Hope it does. 

I’m just saying I believe this rule will be an advantage .. (and being fair has been mentioned)  to teams who can afford the best players and can pass out very comfortably from the back. 

why make it easier for those teams ?? 

Rules worked perfectly well for years. What’s changed really ?? To this extent. 

I understand the post that some teams might waste time by not allowing it to roll out of the area.  But to be honest in over 50 years watching footie.  I have very rarely seen this or considered it a problem. 

thanks for your reply by the way 👍

Just now, punkskaphil said:

Because the ball can lightly brush a player’s arm, not affecting its trajectory or speed, making absolutely no difference to the passage of play. Just look at the Spurs goal that was disallowed against Sheffield United. None of players even knew it had touched anybody’s arm. The Spurs player had been pushed over earlier in the move and the ball had brushed his arm as he fell to the ground.

If a goal had been scored against Wednesday and that had happened I certainly wouldn’t be calling for handball because it was so insignificant (and because nobody noticed it). You have to remember that a handball of the same type that isn’t in the same passage of play as a goal is considered to be accidental and play carries on.

cant comment on the spurs goal as i havnt seen it but i did see the one west ham got scrubbed out against the blunts where again no one noticed that the player had controlled with his hand (accidently) but he wouldnt have scored the goal if he hadnt handled it .........defenders have penalties given against them for unintentional handball so only right that  attackers get punished as well .

My word this thread is... really weird isn't it?

2 hours ago, madowl47 said:

Yeah, how dare football have an optional rule that might allow better players to play better...? 

Do you play golf with a handicap perchance? lol 

12 hours ago, madowl47 said:

I have a feeling some agree 🤷‍♂️

... in nearly 14 hours and over 4,100 thread views, you have received a total of........ zero agreements. Not even a token "like" on your opening post. In fact, your OP is so jarring, no-one has even expended the energy to click the react button at all. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to post a thread on Owlstalk that receives no reaction at all within 14 hours? That's how completely random and tangent-esque you and your thread is! 

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

My word this thread is... really weird isn't it?

Yeah, how dare football have an optional rule that might allow better players to play better...? 

Do you play golf with a handicap perchance? lol 

... in nearly 14 hours and over 4,100 thread views, you have received a total of........ zero agreements. Not even a token "like" on your opening post. In fact, your OP is so jarring, no-one has even expended the energy to click the react button at all. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to post a thread on Owlstalk that receives no reaction at all within 14 hours? That's how completely random and tangent-esque you and your thread is! 

Im not here to please you my chum. 🤷‍♂️ Or anyone else.  Many will agree. 

what’s a golf handicap got to do with it ... I’m interested ? 

A golf handicap is for amateur players. How does that relate to professional footballers ?  

im interested in your reply ?

and yes any rule change that allows better players an “advantage” should be looked at.  And this does. Play the game with rules already in place.  Look further back. At least one (ok 1) did agree with it. And how football seems to be helping managers like Pep play his brand of football.  He’s a genius ... but he’s killing the game most of us loved. 🤷‍♂️ And the powers that be are allowing it. 

Never thought I’d have an argument about taking a goal kick 😇