Play offs...bah! L**ds! bah! Top 6

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

It is a lot in a way. But considering the revenue they have recieved it's very in balance. I mean just this season alone they sold £36M of players. 

The difference is we could have traded our way season to season if we had wanted. Imagine for one second Brentford spend £30M then stop selling players. Stand still. Stagnate. Refuse to sell. Keep adding big earners. Just the whole idea of it would make them shudder. It makes our squad management look like amateur hour. 

No I understand all that.  But it doesn't address my point in any way.  £30m is not a sum of money that a Championship club should be looking at as a figure described as "only".  It's great that they generate their revenue through savvy management and player trading, but £30m is still a lot of money when you consider the P&S limit is £39m over 3 years!  

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

No I understand all that.  But it doesn't address my point in any way.  £30m is not a sum of money that a Championship club should be looking at as a figure described as "only".  It's great that they generate their revenue through savvy management and player trading, but £30m is still a lot of money when you consider the P&S limit is £39m over 3 years!  

Yeah but they just reinvest a lot of what is made. Otherwise it'd just go into the owners pocket and they'd be criticised for being a Mike Ashley or the Hull owners. I don't think £30M is much for a team that have made a hell of a lot over the last 4-5 years on transfers. It might only be a third or so of transfer revenue. If we reinvested a third of what we made our squad would be assembled at a value of about £3M. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Yeah but they just reinvest a lot of what is made. Otherwise it'd just go into the owners pocket and they'd be criticised for being a Mike Ashley or the Hull owners. I don't think £30M is much for a team that have made a hell of a lot over the last 4-5 years on transfers. It might only be a third or so of transfer revenue. If we reinvested a third of what we made our squad would be assembled at a value of about £3M. 

You're missing my point.  Everyone is lauding Brentford for "doing it the right way" which to an extent they are.  They sell really well to make money.  But they have spent £30m on their starting 11 as it stands.  That to me doesn't say you're finding hidden gems as much as, you've sold a few gems in the past and are now reaping the rewards.  Building a team costing £30m isn't a fairy story regardless of if the owner gave the club the £30m or they "earned" it through smart trading.

You can't argue that Brentford's business model is smart and they are making it work.  But you also can't claim they are a team of unknown nobodies IMO.  Just because the journo's covering the Championship haven't heard of them they make out they've unearthed the next Lionel Messi for 50p from the Israeli 3rd division.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...