The new Lean Mean NUHIU Machine

4 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

It shows with the amount of goals and assists he has over the past 7 seasons

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Up there with the worst to play for us 

Top scorer in 2 of those seasons suggests we have had worse! 

5 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Especially if he needs a new contract. 

You seriously think he has the talent to be able to switch it on like a tap .... I mean really?? !!

He happened to have a purple patch at the back end of one season and that's his lot 

Why wouldnt a pro footballer want to score all the time ? 

1 hour ago, striker said:

Averages 6 goals a season over his SWFC career...

We all know his scoring record is unremarkable, but what are you expecting from someone who for extended periods has been 4th, 5th or 6th choice? He only averages 19 starts a season too; so an average of 6.7 goals doesn't seem to me that horrendous.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

We all know his scoring record is unremarkable, but what are you expecting from someone who for extended periods has been 4th, 5th or 6th choice? He only averages 19 starts a season too; so an average of 6.7 goals doesn't seem to me that horrendous.

Therein tells another tale, if successive managers dont see him as a regular starter, what he offers diminishes even further. 

He's had a good crack at it, a handful of good games each season, but time to move on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, striker said:

Therein tells another tale, if successive managers dont see him as a regular starter, what he offers diminishes even further. 

He's had a good crack at it, a handful of good games each season, but time to move on. 

Not really, given the company he was keeping for half of his time here. For a couple of seasons we had EIGHT experienced forwards on the books. But I doubt even Nuhiu's own mother thinks he's a good regular starter at this level. We're not in a position to have a squad full of top players, and until we are we're going to have to accept that some of them are going to be unremarkable fillers. 

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Not really, given the company he was keeping for half of his time here. For a couple of seasons we had EIGHT experienced forwards on the books. But I doubt even Nuhiu's own mother thinks he's a good regular starter at this level. We're not in a position to have a squad full of top players, and until we are we're going to have to accept that some of them are going to be unremarkable fillers

Not a great  reason for re signing a senior player 😀

That would be a tricky announcement to write...."We can announce Nuhiu has signed a new contract with the club. We had a look round and couldn't find anyone else. We hope Nuhiu will continue his unremarkable career with the club and look forward to him taking his place on the bench for the new season"

Aside from my opinion on his attributes, at his age, his career is on the decline. I'd rather that 'filler' place goes to a youth player on the up if we agree he isnt going to be a starter. 

I agree that we have a lot of recruitment to do, but if our aspiration is to re sign players we already know aren't good enough to start, the team will go backwards and lose any sense of competition for places. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Not a great  reason for re signing a senior player 😀

That would be a tricky announcement to write...."We can announce Nuhiu has signed a new contract with the club. We had a look round and couldn't find anyone else. We hope Nuhiu will continue his unremarkable career with the club and look forward to him taking his place on the bench for the new season"

Aside from my opinion on his attributes, at his age, his career is on the decline. I'd rather that 'filler' place goes to a youth player on the up if we agree he isnt going to be a starter. 

I agree that we have a lot of recruitment to do, but if our aspiration is to re sign players we already know aren't good enough to start, the team will go backwards and lose any sense of competition for places. 

You reckon with our circumstances (financial, disciplinary and results) that we're in a good position to sign a squad full of quality players all competing to be player of the year, or that even if we were it's a realistic expectation?

Just now, DJMortimer said:

You reckon with our circumstances (financial, disciplinary and results) that we're in a good position to sign a squad full of quality players all competing to be player of the year, or that even if we were it's a realistic expectation?

No, hopefully Fletcher and a couple of first team capable players plus one or 2 two youth/development players. Lets not forget we're also stuck with Rhodes as we stand for another year.

Not player of the year, players capable of competing to be being a regular starter. It's a pivotal year recruitment wise and need to overhaul this squad. 

Let's just agree to disagree on Nuhiu! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

No, hopefully Fletcher and a couple of first team capable players plus one or 2 two youth/development players. Lets not forget we're also stuck with Rhodes as we stand for another year.

Not player of the year, players capable of competing to be being a regular starter. It's a pivotal year recruitment wise and need to overhaul this squad. 

Let's just agree to disagree on Nuhiu! 

If we can get better, I have no problem with Nuhiu not returning. I'm not especially convinced we're in a good position to do that though, given the extensive needs across the entire squad. If we invested a decent amount up front to replace him, then presumably it would be at the expense of other areas. Unless I've misread the situation, it looks like we're not in a good place at the moment.

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

If we can get better, I have no problem with Nuhiu not returning. I'm not especially convinced we're in a good position to do that though, given the extensive needs across the entire squad. If we invested a decent amount up front to replace him, then presumably it would be at the expense of other areas. Unless I've misread the situation, it looks like we're not in a good place at the moment.

That's the worrying part, have you seen the Pelupessy thread!

I think we'll look to re-sign Penney, Fox, Uroghide and have another look at Van Aken. Defence not ideal, but passable. 

We're linked with Garner, Holland and think this is the type of player we need in midfield to give energy. Bannan, Luongo, Reach, Harris a solid experienced base to be added to with some younger players. I'd also like to see Windass back. 

The forward line is where the hard work will be. Not linked with anyone really yet recently, so not shown our hand in this department. 

Edited by striker

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but remind me again what success we've had under those managers who have chosen not to play him

Carlos knew after seeing him for one season, we needed better, hence he brought Fletcher in to replace him.

In Carlos's second season which was our most successful in the last 20 years, Nuhiu only started 2 games.

We are hopeless when he starts games. He's  started in 26 games the last two seasons of which we won 6. One of those wins was Brentford at home this season and we were losing 1-0 when he was taken off at half time for Rhodes.

Are we really in a position to waste a wage on a player who is only useful in a game for 15 mins now and again.

I'd rather we had a smaller squad of better players who are all good enough to start games and give 90 mins than a bloated squad consisting of mediocre bit part players who are only good enough to be 'back up'.

• Like 1

Guest Maxine
2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Carlos knew after seeing him for one season, we needed better, hence he brought Fletcher in to replace him.

In Carlos's second season which was our most successful in the last 20 years, Nuhiu only started 2 games.

We are hopeless when he starts games. He's  started in 26 games the last two seasons of which we won 6. One of those wins was Brentford at home this season and we were losing 1-0 when he was taken off at half time for Rhodes.

Are we really in a position to waste a wage on a player who is only useful in a game for 15 mins now and again.

I'd rather we had a smaller squad of better players who are all good enough to start games and give 90 mins than a bloated squad consisting of mediocre bit part players who are only good enough to be 'back up'.

My thoughts exactly.