Jacob Murphy on Sheffield Wednesday struggling at home

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

And yet people are still saying give him time. He took over a decent confident team from Bruce, and turned them into gibbering jellyfish...but hey let’s see what he can do when he signs his own gibberish jellyfish

Not saying he's the man for the job, but that's hardly a fair assessment, is it? 

Monk took over a squad that Bullen was struggling with, so it wasn't quite taking over where Bruce left off. Monk also got the team playing half decent football, even if it wasn't particularly pretty, it did feel organised. And then Christmas happened... 

Something's rotten, and it's not just Monk. 

I just miss feeling like we have a spine to us, a 'comfortable' guard and aura around the place, feeling happy to play at our wonderful Home ground.

Walking up the Kop, scent of ale and pie in the air, and a sense of optimism that the game ahead may be a challenge, but whatever happens, we'll 'be rayte'. Mmmm..... pie.

It was a joy to go and feel like it was a fortress of sorts during the League 1 promotion season, and Carlos' first year. Maybe the second one too. 

Of all the games we lose, i hate the ones where we look to lynch blame and toxicity on the squad the most. What the hell did happen this mid season!? We deserve to know. Hopefully a fresh start and clear out can help reset us...

16 hours ago, Plonk said:

And yet people are still saying give him time. He took over a decent confident team from Bruce, and turned them into gibbering jellyfish...but hey let’s see what he can do when he signs his own gibberish jellyfish

After a good start of several games unbeaten under Bruce, we ended last season as the very definition of average (W3 D3 L3). I still wonder what the exact circumstances of his departure were. Maybe it was just the persistent link to his dream job finally presenting itself, but the remarks about how long it would take to fix some of our issues were interesting. 

It's a pretty standard generic reply for most teams that struggle at home tbh.

He's not going to just say "its because we are a bit crap" now is he?

Regardless if that's the truth or not.

43 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

After a good start of several games unbeaten under Bruce, we ended last season as the very definition of average (W3 D3 L3). I still wonder what the exact circumstances of his departure were. Maybe it was just the persistent link to his dream job finally presenting itself, but the remarks about how long it would take to fix some of our issues were interesting. 

Having previously gone 10 games unbeaten under Bruce. 

Not sure the end we had to last season would have made him move in were it not for t being Newcastle that came knocking. Yes those 9 results were pretty much mid-table form but we played 3 promoted teams in that spell. The performance at Norwich was a good one, the come back at bogey ground Deepdale showed fight and we aren't the first team to throw the last game in with nothing to play for. 

12 hours ago, bobness said:

Not saying he's the man for the job, but that's hardly a fair assessment, is it? 

Monk took over a squad that Bullen was struggling with, so it wasn't quite taking over where Bruce left off. Monk also got the team playing half decent football, even if it wasn't particularly pretty, it did feel organised. And then Christmas happened... 

Something's rotten, and it's not just Monk. 

Hardly fair comparing him to Bullen though is it. We did OK under Bullen at the start but you would expect someone who you bring in with actual management experience to make definitive prolonged improvement to performances and results.

We have scored the same amount of home first half goals in Bullen's 3 home games as we have in Monk's 16.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hardly fair comparing him to Bullen though is it. We did OK under Bullen at the start but you would expect someone who you bring in with actual management experience to make definitive prolonged improvement to performances and results.

We have scored the same amount of home first half goals in Bullen's 3 home games as we have in Monk's 16.

I still believe this comes down to the lack of coaching staff. Having acknowledged that Bullen lacks the necessary experience, you've got to admit anyone will struggle if Bullen is the only coach they've got by their side. When Bruce was here, he had two incredibly experienced coaches (in addition to Bullen and Reynierse)

Both Monk and Bullen were defenders, so it also comes as no surprise that we're struggling on the other end of the pitch. On this topic, does anybody know when Remy Reynierse left? According to transfermarkt, he was at the club until early January 2020 (which happens to coincide with the team's implosion)

Who's responsible for the lack of coaches? Surely Monk wouldn't decline the option of having actual football coaches at the club. The results are hardly a surprising when you consider how there's one man (Monk) responsible for so much. It's an impossible job.

26 minutes ago, bobness said:

I still believe this comes down to the lack of coaching staff. Having acknowledged that Bullen lacks the necessary experience, you've got to admit anyone will struggle if Bullen is the only coach they've got by their side. When Bruce was here, he had two incredibly experienced coaches (in addition to Bullen and Reynierse)

Both Monk and Bullen were defenders, so it also comes as no surprise that we're struggling on the other end of the pitch. On this topic, does anybody know when Remy Reynierse left? According to transfermarkt, he was at the club until early January 2020 (which happens to coincide with the team's implosion)

Who's responsible for the lack of coaches? Surely Monk wouldn't decline the option of having actual football coaches at the club. The results are hardly a surprising when you consider how there's one man (Monk) responsible for so much. It's an impossible job.

I can't see Reynierse being around for that long, what was his role under Bruce? I think he left when the 3 Steve's were in place, when Bruce left last summer the Star reported that we were considering getting a new coach to assist Bullen - who was working with Neil Thompson, Nicky Weaver and Tony Strudwick at that time.

Taking Reynierse out of the equation on this basis, why was Monk able to cope OK without a coaching team for 3 months? You have a point in that most managers like to work with their own coaching set up but this then supports the argument that Monk was not the right man. His long-term assistant now has no time for him and the other staff he used to work with are tied up contractually at Birmingham and seemingly happy there anyway. That just leaves James Beattie as an available trusted assistant that he has worked with previously - hardly the greatest CV in professional coaching.

On 11/05/2020 at 13:13, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Ha ha! Yep in 15 home games under Monk we've scored 2 goals in the first half, the opposites have scored 12.

It's a shame away teams don't come out and attack us from the start.

Bloody hell

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I can't see Reynierse being around for that long, what was his role under Bruce? I think he left when the 3 Steve's were in place, when Bruce left last summer the Star reported that we were considering getting a new coach to assist Bullen - who was working with Neil Thompson, Nicky Weaver and Tony Strudwick at that time.

Taking Reynierse out of the equation on this basis, why was Monk able to cope OK without a coaching team for 3 months? You have a point in that most managers like to work with their own coaching set up but this then supports the argument that Monk was not the right man. His long-term assistant now has no time for him and the other staff he used to work with are tied up contractually at Birmingham and seemingly happy there anyway. That just leaves James Beattie as an available trusted assistant that he has worked with previously - hardly the greatest CV in professional coaching.

Would think the same regarding Reynierse. In March 2019 he still appeared on the list of coaches on the club's site, although I'm not sure in what capacity. Given that I can't find him in this year's team photo, it's safe to say he hasn't been around.

Why'd it take 3 months? Monk may have lost control of the dressing room, or ran out of steam, considering he's doing too much. Whatever the case, a team needs well-qualified coaches, not a one-man band. 

While it's difficult to believe Monk is totally blameless for having no coaches around him, he still has my sympathies. It's an impossible job, and I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as our most recent results imply. Would I be disappointed to see him gone? Can't say I will, but I also don't think he's had a fair shake.

Edited by bobness

4 hours ago, bobness said:

Would think the same regarding Reynierse. In March 2019 he still appeared on the list of coaches on the club's site, although I'm not sure in what capacity. Given that I can't find him in this year's team photo, it's safe to say he hasn't been around.

Why'd it take 3 months? Monk may have lost control of the dressing room, or ran out of steam, considering he's doing too much. Whatever the case, a team needs well-qualified coaches, not a one-man band. 

While it's difficult to believe Monk is totally blameless for having no coaches around him, he still has my sympathies. It's an impossible job, and I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as our most recent results imply. Would I be disappointed to see him gone? Can't say I will, but I also don't think he's had a fair shake.

As outsiders it’s difficult for us to know what’s going on. Maybe Monk did inherit a sh*tshow that even the best - Sir Alex couldn’t sort out. Seemingly to deal with it Monk has played his cards by omitting the likes of Westwood and Hutch. What worries me is of the players he’s happy to keep in the team, who has improved since he’s been with us? Who has played well? And simply have any of them actually maintained any kind of decent form from before he took over?  I’d say Fox and Fletcher have maintained form since the Bruce days. But I can’t think of any other player who is showing that Monk can motivate or inspire them to play well, or even play with some structure or organisation. 

Also his previous managerial posts don’t show any clear signs he’s a special manager either.  

I wanted Monk to succeed as much as the next man, but there’s very little signs that he’s the right man for the job so far.  His signings in January have all been a flop. 

Anyway I’m sure he will still be with us next season along with Chansiri, and I just hope they both prove me wrong. 

Edited by Owls-Fan

9 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

As outsiders it’s difficult for us to know what’s going on. Maybe Monk did inherit a sh*tshow that even the best - Sir Alex couldn’t sort out. Seemingly to deal with it Monk has played his cards by omitting the likes of Westwood and Hutch. What worries me is of the players he’s happy to keep in the team, who has improved since he’s been with us? Who has played well? And simply have any of them actually maintained any kind of decent form from before he took over?  I’d say Fox and Fletcher have maintained form since the Bruce days. But I can’t think of any other player who is showing that Monk can motivate or inspire them to play well, or even play with some structure or organisation. 

Also his previous managerial posts don’t show any clear signs he’s a special manager either.  

I wanted Monk to succeed as much as the next man, but there’s very little signs that he’s the right man for the job so far.  His signings in January have all been a flop. 

Anyway I’m sure he will still be with us next season along with Chansiri, and I just hope they both prove me wrong. 

Good post, I also don’t think Monk has shown anything yet that suggests he deserves to stay beyond his current deal. It will be interesting when there will be an announcement on an extended deal. But knowing us they will keep that quiet 

14 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Good post, I also don’t think Monk has shown anything yet that suggests he deserves to stay beyond his current deal. It will be interesting when there will be an announcement on an extended deal. But knowing us they will keep that quiet 

The suggestion from the local media was that it was a rolling one year contract. So there is no natural expiry date and therefore no extension necessary.

33 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The suggestion from the local media was that it was a rolling one year contract. So there is no natural expiry date and therefore no extension necessary.

Great just when things couldn’t get any more bleak. Maybe Monk will get a better offer elsewhere 

23 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Great just when things couldn’t get any more bleak. Maybe Monk will get a better offer elsewhere 

Based on his performance this year I doubt it!

On 12/05/2020 at 08:13, Belfast Owl 2 said:

That assesment from Murphy doesnt really stand up.

Blakcburn, Derby and Reading took ot to us and were 3-0 up after 30 mins.

Charlton did sit back but you have to deal with that and not make excuses

Spot on mate...he's totally wrong, which is f.ookin' worrying...QPR, Fulham ,Derby  Blackburn..READING FFS!...all outplayed us..They didn't play "On the counter"

They were better from the off.