Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I was thinking more about the players who are still under contract for next season but having said that I’d like to bet they will struggle to field 2 or 3 teams with the players available?

i  would guess that 7 or 8 U23s will have been released.  Only leaves the U18's that have been offered a pro contract for next season.  Only know of 3 at the moment.

Edited by Etchesketch
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I promised the person who told me, that I wouldn’t share the list of the players to be released, so I won’t, but there are a couple of surprises on that list for me.

I wouldn't  be surprised if Borukov is one of them

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I promised the person who told me, that I wouldn’t share the list of the players to be released, so I won’t, but there are a couple of surprises on that list for me.

Hmm fair enough, but if they have already been told, it’s not really an issue if the fans are told as well. At least then we can wish them well for the future

• Like 1

How many times over the years does someone say "I've seen so and so playing today for  ???? School and he is a natural"  There are many 13 to 15 year olds in this category. But the journey into Football for a young teen is never easy. All the coaches many of who are excellent recognise their natural talent but what they are trying to do is to test them continually while assessing their weaknesses.

In a good few cases the kids themselves are mature enough to realise they don't quite have what it takes and walk away from elite football and opt for lower league part time status alongside other careers. Others may fall down on maintaining fitness in what is a gruelling programme with little time on the team. There are those who choose to focus on their peer group and the attractions of a normal life. Then there are those who find they are simply lacking strength and fitness.

Conversely there are a very few late starters who make it into the higher echelons; graft, graft and more graft and never take no for an answer, but these are a rare breed.     

Guest Smackavolley

I'd be surprised if all the out and out strikers have gone from the U23's.

Since Hagan was injured the U18's forward line who played were all first year scholars not 2nds.

39 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

I'd be surprised if all the out and out strikers have gone from the U23's.

Since Hagan was injured the U18's forward line who played were all first year scholars not 2nds.

From what I’ve seen, albeit only online, Hagan looks just the type of player we’ve been looking for for a while, and rarely seem to produce Very quick, direct and with an eye for goal

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

From what I’ve seen, albeit only online, Hagan looks just the type of player we’ve been looking for for a while, and rarely seem to produce Very quick, direct and with an eye for goal

Seen Hagen play in the flesh around 5-6 times he's rapid he's good when balls knocked over top and he's got all channel to run into he struggles when the ball dead at his feet he's some coaching how to beat his man

On 30/05/2020 at 09:19, Inspector Lestrade said:

I have known two or three lads over the years and the skill and ability they had was amazing, but the clubs didn't want to know.  To make it as a professional, your skill set must ridiculously high. 

It takes more than just skill to become a professional at any sport.

Attitude, Aptitude, physique, dedication and a lot of luck.

• Like 3