Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

Guest Grez Bez
52 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

This weekend or Monday i would imagine.

Thanks. Never a nice time for the youngsters.

I played NCEL for years with players who signed pro terms as teenagers but never quite made it. Some never stopped trying to get back to that level.

1 minute ago, Grez Bez said:

Thanks. Never a nice time for the youngsters.

I played NCEL for years with players who signed pro terms as teenagers but never quite made it. Some never stopped trying to get back to that level.

Its certainly tough.

12 hours ago, malek said:

Thompson signed pro deal.

Quite ironic when you consider he left the academy due to "disagreements" over coaching and being told he was too small and not strong enough. Said coach left and after a brief period Thompson came back and signs a pro contract. Player improves after leaving academy and another example of how poor our coaching and decision making at the academy has been over the years. 

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

Quite ironic when you consider he left the academy due to "disagreements" over coaching and being told he was too small and not strong enough. Said coach left and after a brief period Thompson came back and signs a pro contract. Player improves after leaving academy and another example of how poor our coaching and decision making at the academy has been over the years. 

Unless he has a growth spurt, the odds are stacked against him making it as a centre back Mind you, he’s already secured a professional contract against all the odds. He has previously played at full back so could he revert to there, or maybe a defensive midfielder?

Just now, gurujuan said:

Unless he has a growth spurt, the odds are stacked against him making it as a centre back Mind you, he’s already secured a professional contract against all the odds. He has previously played at full back so could he revert to there, or maybe a defensive midfielder?

I think the standard of "coaching" at the academy at the time was a major factor. He went away to grassroots football, worked hard, enjoyed his football and remarkably came back a better footballer. Maybe our academy should look at hiring those grassroots coaches that made him a better footballer? 

Lots of clubs haven't finalised their retain/release lists due to the season ending prematurely

Maybe Stobbs has been told to give him a better chance of getting a deal somewhere else?

I know lots of clubs are offering released players short extensions to current deals that will kick in once the season restarts - up to 3 months