Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

13 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

Why does everyone talk about Borukov? There is no way he'll make it as a professional in England. I hope he does but he's severely limited IMO

Hunt, O Brien, Grant and Shaw are the prospects for me. That being said I'd have never put Orughide in there and he got his chance 🤷‍♂️

Waldock and Shaw are the ones I like. Think they could step up next year. 

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

We are a strange club. When we loan a young player out it should mean that we are developing them. But in our case I have found it normally means we dont want them anymore. 

and judging by the records over the years so do very few other clubs …….get released from our 23s and your next club is usually in the NPL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

and judging by the records over the years so do very few other clubs …….get released from our 23s and your next club is usually in the NPL.

What people need to realise on here is that very few players that get released go on to better things.

Couple of years at this key time of development is enough to kill dead career of very talented player. And believe me when I say that Wednesday ruined careers of many talented footballers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smackavolley said:

He’s been injured for much of the season.

Don’t think one can underestimate how good the 18’s midfield was last season when they won the league. 

Hagan is proper quick. Results suggest this years U18’s have been on the back foot and nowhere as good as last years group. 

i’d be amazed if he hasn’t got a pro contract.

Ah I see, thanks Yes we don’t seem to produce many quick players these days, and while speed isn’t everything, it does seem to be a prerequisite in the modern game Let’s hope he continues to develop

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malek said:

What people need to realise on here is that very few players that get released go on to better things.

Couple of years at this key time of development is enough to kill dead career of very talented player. And believe me when I say that Wednesday ruined careers of many talented footballers.

What's the names of these players we have ruined

• Like 1

Back in the days when I used to watch a lot of youth football, it was always said that Wednesday were last at the table when it came to local talent. United and the big top flight clubs would cherry pick the best talent, and we’d get what was left. Hopefully that’s not still the case, especially with clubs now casting their nets further afield. 

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Back in the days when I used to watch a lot of youth football, it was always said that Wednesday were last at the table when it came to local talent. United and the big top flight clubs would cherry pick the best talent, and we’d get what was left. Hopefully that’s not still the case, especially with clubs now casting their nets further afield. 

I fear this is still the case 

59 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It's always been the case that EPL clubs hoover up the best youth players I agree, but United?

I accept they had a purple patch of developing youth players and selling for good money, but who have they developed in recent seasons through their academy?

I'd also suggest that as our academy was all but non existent for decades, their success was by default, rather than design, being allowed to cherry pick what was left of local talent in the absence of any real competition. .

Now we're getting our act together and some success at youth level, things will improve after years of under investment in the academy, going back to the days of Dave Richard's. 

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

You made the inaccurate post back it up

What are you on about? I asked the question ‘what’s the names of the players we haven’t ruined?’ I don’t know the answer, I thought being the clever one on here who knows my personality, when you’ve never met me in person, you’d know they answer but I bet you’re going to turn around and say this post is inaccurate?

24 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

What are you on about? I asked the question ‘what’s the names of the players we haven’t ruined?’ I don’t know the answer, I thought being the clever one on here who knows my personality, when you’ve never met me in person, you’d know they answer but I bet you’re going to turn around and say this post is inaccurate?

Thank you shows you for what you are

• Thanks 1