Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 11.30.13.jpg

Looks like quite a few of our Under 23's are the first to be told that they have to move on from SWFC after their youth season was cancelled off by the EFL on 1st May, according to The Athletic today

Some of those expected to leave are defender Joe West, winger Jack Stobbs and others some of whom were given the news shortly after the EFL announcement.

We also have nine first teamers out of contract this summer so things could get interesting if clubs have to rely on playing their academy players when football returns, as we won't have as many under 23's remaining either.

EFL chairman Rick Parry revealed yesterday to MP's that 1400 players are getting to the end of their contracts in the summer with just one month severance pay to rely on when it comes. Academy players also face the same scenario..

@nancyfrostick covers this in an article on The Athletic today that's well worth a read.

Owlstalk Shop

Notifying them early is the usual procedure, and it is normal to find them getting trial games for other teams at this stage of the season. Although they can’t now play in those trial games, early release does give them a better opportunity of getting fixed up 

I’m sure there will be a few surprises when the list comes out. A lot of us were shocked when Hammoud was released last year

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 11.30.13.jpg

Looks like quite a few of our Under 23's are the first to be told that they have to move on from SWFC after their youth season was cancelled off by the EFL on 1st May, according to The Athletic today

Some of those expected to leave are defender Joe West, winger Jack Stobbs and others some of whom were given the news shortly after the EFL announcement.

We also have nine first teamers out of contract this summer so things could get interesting if clubs have to rely on playing their academy players when football returns, as we won't have as many under 23's remaining either.

EFL chairman Rick Parry revealed yesterday to MP's that 1400 players are getting to the end of their contracts in the summer with just one month severance pay to rely on when it comes. Academy players also face the same scenario..

@nancyfrostick covers this in an article on The Athletic today that's well worth a read.

Might be nice of the clubs to give them more than the 1 month. Not like they would be on much.

16 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Might be nice of the clubs to give them more than the 1 month. Not like they would be on much.

They will have known already if they haven't been called in for contract talks - I worked as a contractor and could have been released overnight. Goes with the territory I'm afraid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If the likes of Stobbs and West thought they’d have got another contract and were relying on Wednesday to hand them out another year then that’s a bit delusional. Hopefully they’ve got some cash saved up and will be alright. 

Lets hope the club are planning for the development squad for next season and/if they are needed when half of the senior squad are out of contract in June 2020.

It is not like they could ask a fan in the stand to play as we won't be allowed in the stadium for the next 12 months.

I hope this whole Co-Vid thing is a wake up call for DC that he needs proper people in to run the club and every aspect of it. But in realty I wait to be convinced he will do anything other than wait for promotion, because unlike other clubs we don't seem to plan for anything past the current season.  

And the communication from the club is appalling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Lets hope the club are planning for the development squad for next season and/if they are needed when half of the senior squad are out of contract in June 2020.

It is not like they could ask a fan in the stand to play as we won't be allowed in the stadium for the next 12 months.

I hope this whole Co-Vid thing is a wake up call for DC that he needs proper people in to run the club and every aspect of it. But in realty I wait to be convinced he will do anything other than wait for promotion, because unlike other clubs we don't seem to plan for anything past the current season.  

Don't really get that bit.

Did you mean the club have been slow in telling the players?

Or that the club should have told the fans first?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Notifying them early is the usual procedure, and it is normal to find them getting trial games for other teams at this stage of the season. Although they can’t now play in those trial games, early release does give them a better opportunity of getting fixed up 

I’m sure there will be a few surprises when the list comes out. A lot of us were shocked when Hammoud was released last year

I'm not sure if i misunderstand - but this is not early notification!

Early is January

The games are immaterial

The decisions have to be made by the 3rd Saturday in May - at the latest

So this is very late - especially as nearly every club will already know their retain/release decisions

I understand the unprecedented nature of these times however the contracts of the players were never going to be enforceable after their expiry date

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

All players have been notified of release.

When will the list be out?

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

What are you expecting the club to communicate to you at this moment in time?

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Do we really have any youngsters that we would be absolutely gutted to let go.?  Hunt possibly?

White, Hammoud, even Hirst. not really living in regret with them all gone are we.