Sheffield Wednesday's Academy start releasing players

Guest Smackavolley

With respect, I wouldn't be throwing names around until the club release something.

Wouldn't be right.

Guest Smackavolley

Surprised the club have not announced anything yet. Surely any players they've let go know their fate by now. Stobbs made his statement weeks ago. I wonder if they have been furloughed. Let's face it, if they are not in training at U23/U18 level, they're are hardly going to be asked before the end of June to go back to training.

Strange.

Edited by Smackavolley
spello

Connor Kirby Released, his mum has put on Twitter, very surprised by this thought he looked well and was developing into a future first team player.was on loan at Macclesfield and was getting some good reviews.

Guest Grez Bez
24 minutes ago, s2blue said:

Connor Kirby Released, his mum has put on Twitter, very surprised by this thought he looked well and was developing into a future first team player.was on loan at Macclesfield and was getting some good reviews.

That's a shame. Looked good for Macclesfield and I hoped he'd replace Pelupessy as backup here.

He should get a league club I'd of thought.

41 minutes ago, s2blue said:

When he’s sick and can’t make it into work does his mum ring up to tell them?

Joking aside I thought he was decent when I saw him play. We’ve not got too many that will make the jump now from the U23s. Probably looking at Hunt and maybe Borukov and Shaw. Time will tell.

Guest Grez Bez
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you tell a lad who has dedicated his life to playing professional football that he's not to the standard required the club requires?

Must be the worst part of a managers/coaches job. 

Can't be easy, hopefully the club helps them find another club. 

Not sure if it's good or bad timing to be released given the situation.

Bad as in we don't knoe what will happen. Good as clubs will be on stricter budgets so younger cheaper players may get a chance?

Would be nice to see a full released list ?

@KivoOwl @malek @John O'Brien @Youth Hawker

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you tell a lad who has dedicated his life to playing professional football that he's not to the standard required the club requires?

Must be the worst part of a managers/coaches job. 

Lad used to live next door to me was released by Charlton as a lad and never played professionally. He ended up playing for our Saturday side at a decent level. Had a huge ego and a chip on his shoulder and that would often wind up opponents. Wonder if that’s why Charlton released him?!

Guest Grez Bez
2 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

When he’s sick and can’t make it into work does his mum ring up to tell them?

Joking aside I thought he was decent when I saw him play. We’ve not got too many that will make the jump now from the U23s. Probably looking at Hunt and maybe Borukov and Shaw. Time will tell.

Why does everyone talk about Borukov? There is no way he'll make it as a professional in England. I hope he does but he's severely limited IMO

Hunt, O Brien, Grant and Shaw are the prospects for me. That being said I'd have never put Orughide in there and he got his chance 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Grez Bez said:

Can't be easy, hopefully the club helps them find another club. 

Not sure if it's good or bad timing to be released given the situation.

Bad as in we don't knoe what will happen. Good as clubs will be on stricter budgets so younger cheaper players may get a chance?

Would be nice to see a full released list ?

@KivoOwl @malek @John O'Brien @Youth Hawker

Stepping into troubled waters can't see them getting a decent contract in the lower leagues surely they will be only offering very basic contracts, take it or leave it.

Guest Grez Bez
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Stepping into troubled waters can't see them getting a decent contract in the lower leagues surely they will be only offering very basic contracts, take it or leave it.

Does that benefit them though as they will be cheaper than an experienced pro?

On 07/05/2020 at 14:13, unkastav said:

Stobbs and co leave for league one clubs...

we get out 40 point deduction for playing in stripes...

released players destroy us next season for new clubs

the wednesday way

Stobbs and co eventually find work picking fruit, the Wednesday kitchen buy in a consignment of cheap strawberries that are past their sell buy date and serve them up to the first team, the strawberries are rancid and the whole first team go down with gastrointestinal flu...the fruit is traced back to the farm where it is found that Jack Stobbs was the only picker on duty that day.... the Wednesday way.

1 minute ago, Swiss Toni said:

Lad used to live next door to me was released by Charlton as a lad and never played professionally. He ended up playing for our Saturday side at a decent level. Had a huge ego and a chip on his shoulder and that would often wind up opponents. Wonder if that’s why Charlton released him?!

I have known two or three lads over the years and the skill and ability they had was amazing, but the clubs didn't want to know.  To make it as a professional, your skill set must ridiculously high. 

• Like 1

I think there will be a lot of seasoned pros who will struggle to get contracts. The good players will always get offers but the ones who make up the numbers in the Championship will find they have to move down a league or 2 and take much lower wages. L1 players will end up in L2 or non league. Young lads will end up in non league.

Clubs will need to run smaller squads on lower wages just to survive. Not a great time to be starting in the game.