Dawson

45 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Despite Dawson being such a disaster, his record of goals conceded this season is slightly better than his main rival at the club and also ranks as superior to 18 of the other 23 clubs in the division.

Yes but he can’t dribble down the right wing and put a pin point cross on Wickham head.....and even if he could I bet he couldn’t do it down the left wing as well.....plus he can only do 326 keepy uppys and has a 4/10 success rate at cross bar challenge

stopping the opposition scoring is only 5% of a keepers job now didn’t you know

57 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Despite Dawson being such a disaster, his record of goals conceded this season is slightly better than his main rival at the club and also ranks as superior to 18 of the other 23 clubs in the division.

Where does he rank in the last 10 games, because players generally get dropped when their form dips for that kind of period.

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Where does he rank in the last 10 games, because players generally get dropped when their form dips for that kind of period.

Is goals conceded really the best way of rating a goalkeeper's performance in the first place (at both ends of the spectrum)? The answer to your question is 15 by the way, which isn't very good, but hardly as calamitous as some of the hysteria in this thread might lead you to believe. 

I remember Peter Schmeichel letting in 12 during the same week when he was just the best in the world, or Chris Woods having little chance when Arsenal put 6 past him in just 20 minutes. It doesn't necessarily reflect that someone isn't playing well (although in this case I acknowledge that Dawson has made some mistakes recently).

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Is goals conceded really the best way of rating a goalkeeper's performance in the first place (at both ends of the spectrum)? The answer to your question is 15 by the way, which isn't very good, but hardly as calamitous as some of the hysteria in this thread might lead you to believe. 

I remember Peter Schmeichel letting in 12 during the same week when he was just the best in the world, or Chris Woods having little chance when Arsenal put 6 past him in just 20 minutes. It doesn't necessarily reflect that someone isn't playing well (although in this case I acknowledge that Dawson has made some mistakes recently).

You ask whether goal conceded is the best way of rating a keepers performance but it was you that referred to it in the first place.

I agree in isolation it isn't best to make a judgement on this alone. His all round performances suggest he is in poor form.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

You ask whether goal conceded is the best way of rating a keepers performance but it was you that referred to it in the first place.

Some people have suggested he is catastrophically bad. If that were the case, you would expect it to be reflected in the statistics somewhat independent of how well the rest of the team are performing. That is not the case however, so it becomes rather difficult to make an objective case that he is a major problem over the course of the season (lately is a different matter perhaps), especially when there is no appreciable difference from the bloke that some are clamouring for in his place. 

On 08/02/2020 at 12:24, ozzieowl said:

Correct. 

Whats annoying me is Westwood would get absolutely slated for this. 

Got dropped for far less and lost his shirt since. Obv didn’t want be number 2 over Xmas period n now fell out completely.  On supposedly 30k a week wasted. Commands defence far better too. 

Westwood got dropped for 2 clangers in 1 game that cost us points. Dawson isn't good enough, but lets not pretend Westwood is brilliant.

Why was Westwood dropped in the 1st place?, oh! I forgot, he was injured, nowt to do with the basic clangers he dropped every week or the goals he cost us.

FFS!.

These players are the past, Dawson has 12 years on Westwood, ok he makes mistakes, but look at the modern coaching for that.

The Goal keeper is the last line of Defence, NOT the 1st line of attack, as modern coaching say's, that is why goal keepers are told to 'punch the ball' as against to catching the ball.

Modern football, I friggin hate it.

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Why was Westwood dropped in the 1st place?, oh! I forgot, he was injured, nowt to do with the basic clangers he dropped every week or the goals he cost us.

FFS!.

These players are the past, Dawson has 12 years on Westwood, ok he makes mistakes, but look at the modern coaching for that.

The Goal keeper is the last line of Defence, NOT the 1st line of attack, as modern coaching say's, that is why goal keepers are told to 'punch the ball' as against to catching the ball.

Modern football, I friggin hate it.

I watched the brentford leeds game,both goals were keeper errors,Dawsons not faultless,hes far from the worst keeper in the league,look at whats in front of him,there full of mistakes

Just now, legendaryswan said:

I watched the brentford leeds game,both goals were keeper errors,Dawsons not faultless,hes far from the worst keeper in the league,look at whats in front of him,there full of mistakes

For a goal to be scored past the Goal keeper, it has to get past 10 out field players, so you are right.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Westwood is better than Dawson in 3 key areas. 1. Shot stopping 2. Organizing 3. Kicking. Probably about the same on crosses as Dawson is getting a bit better at it and Westy has struggled a bit with that this season.

The only are which Dawson is better is less injury prone. He’s also brilliant at sticking his tongue out if that counts!!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is bang on

Westwood was rightly dropped as his form dipped and his error rate became too high

Dawson has now been in poor form since the turn of the year and - I think - is making more frequent errors than ever before.

It’s time for a change in the sticks to give Dawson a bit of headspace

Edited by McRightSide

7 hours ago, ozzieowl said:

End of day a keeper should have decent kicking. 

He hasnt. It’s horrendous. When it stays on pitch he can’t pick a player out most of time. He’s started flapping at stuff now too. At 24 I cant see how his kicking will improve. 

Do you really think it’s his decision to aim for players out wide?.....or that’s what he’s told to do?

and your comment about being able to pick out players is ridiculous.....ffs the other 10 can’t pick a player out that’s only 20 years away with all the time in the world never mind 60 yards away with a forward breathing down their neck

29 minutes ago, Ian said:

Do you really think it’s his decision to aim for players out wide?.....or that’s what he’s told to do?

and your comment about being able to pick out players is ridiculous.....ffs the other 10 can’t pick a player out that’s only 20 years away with all the time in the world never mind 60 yards away with a forward breathing down their neck

Don’t be ridiculous...he may be told to aim wide to wingers but when keeps kicking out of play u would think it would stop. 

Have u ever watched or played football?

Do u think keepers just lump it aimlessly?

Have u seen them warm up before a game where they practice aiming to coach or other keeper.?

seen Dawson kick ball straight out on numerous occasions when we try n break quick. 

At Barnsley with no ‘forward breathing down neck’ he lumps it to Bannan. Smallest on pitch. 

At Least Westwood aimed for Fletch or Dave.

remember Martinez we had on loan. Kicked it sideways out of hands and picked players out 9/10 times. Was quality. 

Keepers need to be good at kicking. Dawson isn’t end of. 

6 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

6 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

Don’t be ridiculous...he may be told to aim wide to wingers but when keeps kicking out of play u would think it would stop. 

Have u seen them warm up before a game where they practice aiming to coach or other keeper.?

seen Dawson kick ball straight out on numerous occasions when we try n break quick. 

At Barnsley with no ‘forward breathing down neck’ he lumps it to Bannan. Smallest on pitch. 

remember Martinez we had on loan. Kicked it sideways out of hands and picked players out 9/10 times. Was quality. 

Interesting observations you make....so, this Martinez bloke that you hold up high as a shining example of what a keeper should be like......age 27 and about 60 appearances in his career.......does that not make you think that picking players out 9/10 times (he didn’t by the way) might not be as important for a keeper as you and many others make out....otherwise surely he’d be on 300+ games by now

Edited by Ian

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Westwood is better than Dawson in 3 key areas. 1. Shot stopping 2. Organizing 3. Kicking. Probably about the same on crosses as Dawson is getting a bit better at it and Westy has struggled a bit with that this season.

The only are which Dawson is better is less injury prone. He’s also brilliant at sticking his tongue out if that counts!!

Westwood's kicking isnt that great either. Something that all our keepers could work on a lot more bit maybe they have better things to do once training has finished. If Dawson plays against Reading then lets hope the fans support Dawson rather than moan and groan the first time a kick goes where it wasn't intended.

1 hour ago, ozzieowl said:

Martinez had the best distribution for a keeper we have seen playing for us in a long time. He could kick with his left foot or right foot and his sidewinder was quality too.

3 hours ago, Ian said:

I supposed he’s told to aim for opposition players and the edge of our centre circle too?