FA Cup Replays

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

.the FA cup should be  about glory and having the chance of being a giant killer not what draws in a TV audience …..

And that's why we still see MOTD showing Ronnie Radford scoring against Newcastle. It should all be about tradition, history and memories

5 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

They might not have got Liverpool in the first place, maybe they got Tranmere instead and then that game went to a replay and 2 of their best players get injured and cripples their season. Ifs and buts. Im glad they are stopping them now. 

Injuries can happen in any game.

2 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

And that's why we still see MOTD showing Ronnie Radford scoring against Newcastle. It should all be about tradition, history and memories

when we drew at home  against the arse back in 79  I didn't think I hope it brings in a global audience for the replay all I was interested in was going to highbury and beating them ( we nearly  did ) ……..40 years later I still have the memories of those replays  perhaps  the Liverpool supporters will  fondly think in 2060 we drew in a global audience  when we won the cup in 2020. .

Tbf, Shrewsbury might actually beat Liverpool's under 23s team. 

Worth remebering that these Under 23s sides have been playing in the JPT for the last few years and usually come unstuck. 

Needless to say, I think pretty much everyone will be rooting for Shrewsbury to drump them out. 

Unfortunately, that also includes Jurgen Klopp :duntmatter:

15 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Would it be such a bad thing to get rid?

Look at Shrewsbury today. Played v well second half they now have a replay at anfield which will earn them ££s but will end their cup run. 

whereas no replay would mean ET and penalties today, at their home ground. A far better chance of making proper history and going through. 

If you were a Shrews fan which would you want?

I'd would rather win the home game and hope for a plum tie in the next round.

Whilst a trip to Anfield would be great, I don't think it would be as good as knocking out the best team on the planet on your home turf and being in the hat for a guaranteed Round 5 tie.

Still, you'd be chuffed either way!

The once-great competition that was the FA CUP has been reduced in importance by the 'big clubs' for one simple reason - money

This grumble about congestion of fixtures is entirely one of the Big Clubs own making.

Originally there were two competitions - The League, and the FA Cup. Even then the big jobs  were favoured since they didn't have to go through qualifying rounds and were exempt from the First and Second rounds. This congestion is a red herring.

The premiership clubs play 40 games per season as to the Championship and lower, who play 46. It only starts to become complicated when you startadding the lucrative European competitions.

This is not including the League Cup,an idea conceived to allow further involvement. in Europe.

This season's competition has been further twisted by the use of VAR at certain, but not all, grounds, and by the removal of replays after R4.

I could never understand why ET was not involved on the first game  either.

The FA is supposed to be the organisation that, unlike EFL which looks after League Clubs only, is for football at its grass roots. 

• Haha 1