Is 442 the answer?

17 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

5 man midfield with 3 at the back and 2 up top.

Harris-Luongo-Bannan-Lee-Fessi

that midfield could control any game and provide some serious threat and support where needed. 

Our squad has been crying out for someone to put them in a 3-5-2 for ages. It’s the only formation that suits all our options. I was baffled as to why Jos turned his back on it. I get the feeling though that its implementation is viewed as too lengthy a process to satisfy the short term goals of a club like Wednesday.

I’d love to see something like..

Iorfa

Borner/Lees

Fox

Harris/Odubajo

Hutch

Bannan

Luongo/Lee

Reach/Harris

Fletcher/Nuhiu

Winnall/Rhodes

5 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Our squad has been crying out for someone to put them in a 3-5-2 for ages. It’s the only formation that suits all our options. I was baffled as to why Jos turned his back on it. I get the feeling though that its implementation is viewed as too lengthy a process to satisfy the short term goals of a club like Wednesday.

I’d love to see something like..

Iorfa

Borner/Lees

Fox

Harris/Odubajo

Hutch

Bannan

Luongo/Lee

Reach/Harris

Fletcher/Nuhiu

Winnall/Rhodes

We’d be torn apart down the flanks, and all that just to get Winnall or Rhodes into the starting eleven

On 26/11/2019 at 08:59, gurujuan said:

Certainly isn’t We don’t have the right pairing in midfield, with only perhaps, Luongo looking like a good fit, but the manager doesn’t seem to trust his fitness, even in a three. Then who could we play alongside Fletcher? Forestieri isn’t ideal, and is more effective coming from a wide position. He certainly doesn’t thrive on knock downs. Nuhiu maybe offers some presence, and takes a bit of the physical pressure off of Fletcher, but doesn’t make us anymore prolific. Rhodes and Winnall are shot at this level. None of the options suggest that a switch to 4-4-2 would be beneficial, even in the short term. 

I suspect any “clamour” for a switch to 4-4-2, is merely the belief of some of those who “clamoured” for us to sign Rhodes in the first place, that somehow, he will still come good. Ain’t gonna happen

I think you have just said in a roundabout way the squad needs overhauling. It does not matter what system we play we need a couple of midfield players who can compete and at least 1 if not 2 strikers who can bag us 20 goals each a season. Monk is going to need a least 2 transfer windows to get anywhere near sorting it.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We’d be torn apart down the flanks, and all that just to get Winnall or Rhodes into the starting eleven

That’s my first point though. I think we’ve got the personnel, but no manager would be afforded the time to implement it so the lack of full backs becomes negligent.

If people want to play two that’s how I see it. Fletcher and Nuhiu works in terms of causing problems, but it doesn’t score goals. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

it would require players to actually play a set role and track back when required, but it could work. 

Bannan can be the deep lying play maker. 

Lee and Luongo the box to box players (attack and defend when required)

Harris and Fessi cutting in/going down the line. (tuck in and defend when needed too)

We cant not try something just because we think we will get caught out for trying it. As @NeonLeon said, we do have a squad suited to play 3-5-2, with 2 offensive thinking CBs in Iorfa and Borner. Put hutch in there alongside them and thats 3 good CBs who arent afraid to have the ball at their feet or play it about. 5 man midfield with those named will provide threat and there is enough there to also be able to control teams attacking us through the middle and out wide. 

There’s glaring weaknesses to whatever system we play. 

4-4-2 No point playing it with nuhiu and fletcher upfront as they don’t score enough goals to warrant dropping a midfielder. The only striker we have that has done this is Rhodes but he has only done it when played upfront for a long run of games 10+ and with another forward to help him (nuhiu,Fletcher) It also leaves us short in midfield as in my opinion bannan hasn’t got the physical attributes to play in a two (we basically need 2 luongos). It also has the FF problem in that can he be trusted to work hard enough playing at LW and will he even play there?

4-3-3 For me this is the best with what’s available now with FF left and Harris right. We have seen though that too often fletcher gets isolated upfront meaning that our attacks tend to be slower. This relies heavily on lee or luongo getting up and running in beyond to provide support but both have been missing for various reasons. For this to work we also need a better version of fletcher and also another wide forward who can consistently score. 

Either way serious investment is required wether it’s in midfield (and hope Rhodes comes good) to play 4-4-2 or if it’s upfront (striker and forward minimum) to play 4-3-3. 

Unfortunately for us us we are already in serious FFP difficulty and have very few saleable assets.

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

Well, we ditched the 4-5-1 formation and started the match with an attacking line-up today, with more than one striker on the pitch and we got 3 points away from home.

Makes the lazy "it doesn't matter who gets in the team, cos we're rubbish anyway" argument a bit redundant IMO.

It worked today, as it did at Boro, but we’ll come across stronger opponents than Charlton’s youth team

43 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Very true, my hope is that Monk won't revert back to the negative 4-5-1 when we do come up against more capable opposition.

Guess we'll see the answer to that next Saturday already with Brentford visiting.. got to go out in attack and not let them dictate the play at our stadium... crucial chance to both win against a better team and go above another team to stay within reach of play offs.

I could get comfortable with the 4-4-2 formation in the second half of the season as long as we bring in a central striker with pace and movement to play alongside Fletcher or Nuhiu. We now have pace on the wings and some height and physicality in the side and there’s not as much onus on dictating and controlling possession. 

On 26/11/2019 at 08:59, gurujuan said:

Certainly isn’t We don’t have the right pairing in midfield, with only perhaps, Luongo looking like a good fit, but the manager doesn’t seem to trust his fitness, even in a three. Then who could we play alongside Fletcher? Forestieri isn’t ideal, and is more effective coming from a wide position. He certainly doesn’t thrive on knock downs. Nuhiu maybe offers some presence, and takes a bit of the physical pressure off of Fletcher, but doesn’t make us anymore prolific. Rhodes and Winnall are shot at this level. None of the options suggest that a switch to 4-4-2 would be beneficial, even in the short term. 

I suspect any “clamour” for a switch to 4-4-2, is merely the belief of some of those who “clamoured” for us to sign Rhodes in the first place, that somehow, he will still come good. Ain’t gonna happen

I don't recall many shouting 'we don't want that spent ****' at the time.