Is 442 the answer?

21 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Thickest group of footballers I’ve ever witnessed. Must drive Monk mad. They keep repeating the same mistakes and never seem to learn from them.

Monk can’t design and fit a wardrobe with assorted screws from the back of a kitchen draw, an old knife for a screwdriver, and an old shoe for a hammer.

Patience run out after the last few games. I’m with the get rid of the lot of them brigade.

I tend towards the more positive end of things on here, but it's hard to disagree with that.

A number of our players just don't seem to have much footballing intelligence, and we keep seeing the same mistakes costing us time after time. Palmer's latest aberration is just the latest in a long line, unfortunately.

This, coupled with our lack of genuine athleticism, means that we're unlikely to do much of note this season. If Monk is somehow able to pull a rabbit out of the hat during the January transfer window, then maybe the playoffs could be realistic, but it's asking a lot of him.

no matter what formation we play, we need to address the fact that most of our midfield lineups dont operate as a unit. When we attack, midfield dont attack together, when we defend the midfield dont defend together. 

All too often, our midfield are nowhere near each other either defensively or offensively. individually the midfielders we have are good players with different abilities ect, thats no good though when Bannan is breaking ranks to chase a man in the oppo half and Hutch is slotted in between Iorfa and Borner. 

I would like us to go 3 - 5 - 2 and let Bannan be the deepest lying midfielder and nobody allowed to play deeper than him.  

I’m not sure that mistakes are being made because certain players are passed their sell by date. All players, at any stage of their career, can go through periods where they seem to be making too many errors. Westwood has made mistakes, after previously being one of our more consistent performers, but somebody who’s stock has fallen even more dramatically, because of similar errors, is Jack Butland, and he is still relatively young. We do need to get more consistency in our game, that’s for sure, but I don’t believe it’s entirely down to ageing players. An ageing squad, certainly needs younger legs, especially in midfield, something I was banging on about all summer, but that’s a different issue

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I tend towards the more positive end of things on here, but it's hard to disagree with that.

A number of our players just don't seem to have much footballing intelligence, and we keep seeing the same mistakes costing us time after time. Palmer's latest aberration is just the latest in a long line, unfortunately.

This, coupled with our lack of genuine athleticism, means that we're unlikely to do much of note this season. If Monk is somehow able to pull a rabbit out of the hat during the January transfer window, then maybe the playoffs could be realistic, but it's asking a lot of him.

Staples of this Wednesday side: 

- Miss easy chances

- Concede sloppy goals

- Give away cheap freekicks in and around the area at crucial times

- Poor game management

- Panic and throwaway valuable points in the dying stages 

3 hours ago, archieswfc said:

Whatever wins games for me. However, the problem with 442 is you don't get chance to switch mid game so easily. For example 433 can become 451 very easily and the same can be said for 352 becoming 532. Easy to do without making substitutions. With 442 you generally have to make changes or play players out of position in order to change it a little.

Why do you, we have 7 subs. Just use them wisely.

8 hours ago, vulva said:

Deck chairs/titanic. We aren’t good enough. We need this points deduction now, somehow escape relegation this season, and clear the decks properly in the summer. 

And then appoint a director of football, and give him total control over football matters. 

That said, so fear there is more chance of seeing the queens babies feeders. 

Been saying we need one a while. Howard Wilkinson.

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why the clamour for 442?

Based on the season so far, does it appear that 442 offers more likely success than 433?

Our 442 games:-

QPR 1-2 (Fletcher FF)

Boro 4-1 (Fletcher Nuhiu)

Hull 0-1 (Nuhiu Winnall)

Leeds 0-0 (Fletcher Nuhiu)

Swansea 2-2 (Fletcher Nuhiu)

442 - P5. W1. D2. L2. (1 point per game) 

433 - P12. W6. D2. L4. (1.67 points per game)

What is it about 442 that drives so many to think it’s the answer with our current squad?

Were not scoring enough goals for what our play deserves.

Its plain to see that we don't get enough men in the box and surely having 2 strikers helps this. I don't think its such a clamber for 442 its just for 2 up front... which we could use in a 352 aswell.

Also think its a way of getting Forestieri starting and not have to worry about tracking back.

3 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

Been saying we need one a while. Howard Wilkinson.

He’s retired. 

We we need a young, dynamic football person with modern day connections. It won’t happen though. DC runs this show. 

13 minutes ago, vulva said:

He’s retired. 

We we need a young, dynamic football person with modern day connections. It won’t happen though. DC runs this show. 

Still in football isn’t he? Just thinking he knows the club inside out, even if temporary surely it would be of help? Agree though, if not someone like Wilkinson needs to be someone young with connections.

Never been a fan of playing one lone striker up top.  So from that side of things, I think having two strikers certainly increases our chances of scoring.  More goals, we win more games.  

442 is also a system that the players would be more familiar with, it is also more balanced.

Fletcher and Forestieri up top could work nicely for us.  

An alternative to that Winnall and Rhodes.  

What I can't get my head around, given that we have 5 strikers, five players vying to play and then we go with a system that uses only 1 of them.  In effect, we are basically writing off the valuations from players like Forestieri, Winnall and Rhodes.   

It makes no sense to me.  

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why the clamour for 442?

Based on the season so far, does it appear that 442 offers more likely success than 433?

QPR 1-2 (Fletcher FF)

Hull 0-1 (Nuhiu Winnall)

What is it about 442 that drives so many to think it’s the answer with our current squad?

not sure we have the playing staff for 4-4-2, too light in m/f, this squad has seen better days, opportunity lost.

start again.

3 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

I love it when we play 4-3-3. 

I always listen out for the first shout of ‘get two up front’, usually after the first attack. 

Yep.

Followed by “we were too lightweight in midfield” when he plays 442. 

13 hours ago, debram said:

Real talent in a few places yes, but not in other's, that's the problem and the reason for the silly errors, can't blame ref errors, all teams get them over the course of the season. 

Couldn't agree more. I'm not blaming refs...they equal out over the season. Refs do the best they can, it isn't easy

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Why the clamour for 442?

QPR 1-2 (Fletcher FF)

Hull 0-1 (Nuhiu Winnall)

2 up top doesn’t necessarily demand 442...at the moment we are struggling to score more than 1 goal a game which means we are losing/giving away points alarmingly. For me this starts up front...how many time have we seen fletcher winning headers but there’s no one there or even seen him chase his own work. Getting players in and around fletcher for me is the way forward as it occupies defenders and gives us options. Fletcher must be pulling his hair out with frustration at times. 

8 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Most people know a forward like Fletcher playing in a lone striker role needs a quick little player nearby to pick up the pieces. If only we had that sort of player in our club.

Oh wait a minute...i think I might know of one. Come on no 45. Now is your time. 

been saying this since his ban was up but people are quick to jump on your back saying he’s finished....it’s laughable really.

We have been chasing goals in recent games recently to get something out of the game and nuhiu seems to be the go to guy. When we were on top Saturday I’m confident FF would have added a further threat, yet he’s sat watching. Madness!! 

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Most people know a forward like Fletcher playing in a lone striker role needs a quick little player nearby to pick up the pieces. If only we had that sort of player in our club.

Oh wait a minute...i think I might know of one. Come on no 45. Now is your time. 

Don’t pretend it hasnt been tried, or that it works.

FF in this role has been tried since 2015, and results in fewer goals not more goals, and fewer points not more points.

There are two shirts in the Xl which are perfect for him, currently being worn by the below par trio of Reach, Murphy and Harris. 

Do you really believe that Monk is putting these 3 (on their current form) ahead of Forestieri on ability? It’s more than that? 

It staggers me that people view this as a Nuhiu v FF issue. Those posters are looking at the wrong position.

As an aside, take a look at how freely we score when Fletcher, Nuhiu and Forestieri are on. That’s because they then each play in their glaringly obvious best roles.