Murphy switch ?

Now here me out before its completely dismissed out of hand but I've been thinking about Monk and the way he likes us to set up to be solid, make sure we have a foothold in the game and then try and get at the opposition on the counter.

Usually this is by trying to find the wide men and having them drive on and push the opposition back, or by hitting Fletcher and having him play the wall passes back in or out wide.

1447222866_2019-11-0310_05_43.png.5bdf709dc550e31bf60cf8be91845ba5.png

Much of this hinges on Bannan pinging quick zipped balls with accuracy. Without him we seem to have that option taken away. Our longer passes aren't always as accurate , and sometime described as big boot, and over hit.

To that end, and with his pace, and it must be said the ability to get in the box, and nick a goal or two, might Murphy not be an option as a striker?

Someone to get after the ball in behind and give us a different option if we're to continue countering ?

_108270679_shutterstock_editorial_10355994s.jpg.3f3010199240fbcbce254875ffe3fbaf.jpg

We've long lamented our lack of a striker with genuine pace. Could it be that with a little bit of work on the training ground we might have someone capable of being that player right under our noses?

Genuinly think it's something that should be looked at.

• Thanks 1

Not a bad shout at all pal

We all agreed this very same thing whilst getting over our disappointment in Mcr’s Northern Quarter last night.

Met up with some City lads we first met during our Prem years who we regularly meet on England duty and who have a genuine fondness for Wednesday and are really very knowledgable about us.

They’ve probably seen more of Murphy than us and suggested he could be deployed by us in the way they use Sterling, using his pace in a more central role.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Now here me out before its completely dismissed out of hand but I've been thinking about Monk and the way he likes us to set up to be solid, make sure we have a foothold in the game and then try and get at the opposition on the counter.

Usually this is by trying to find the wide men and having them drive on and push the opposition back, or by hitting Fletcher and having him play the wall passes back in or out wide.

1447222866_2019-11-0310_05_43.png.5bdf709dc550e31bf60cf8be91845ba5.png

Much of this hinges on Bannan pinging quick zipped balls with accuracy. Without him we seem to have that option taken away. Our longer passes aren't always as accurate , and sometime described as big boot, and over hit.

To that end, and with his pace, and it must be said the ability to get in the box, and nick a goal or two, might Murphy not be an option as a striker?

Someone to get after the ball in behind and give us a different option if we're to continue countering ?

_108270679_shutterstock_editorial_10355994s.jpg.3f3010199240fbcbce254875ffe3fbaf.jpg

We've long lamented our lack of a striker with genuine pace. Could it be that with a little bit of work on the training ground we might have someone capable of being that player right under our noses?

Genuinly think it's something that should be looked at.

thought you meant swap him for his brother...that would be ideal

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Lack of pace up top isn’t a problem if we play with 2 forwards. Harris and Reach/Murphy get crosses into the box and Fletch/Winnall/Nuhiu will fancy their chances to get on the end of them.

Dis you see our crossing and deliveries from set peices yesterday?

I’m not fancying anyone to get on the end of them.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Lack of pace up top isn’t a problem if we play with 2 forwards. Harris and Reach/Murphy get crosses into the box and Fletch/Winnall/Nuhiu will fancy their chances to get on the end of them.

Completely disagree.

Whether one up top or two  up top our lack of a pacey option has hampered our play and made us predictable and one dimensional for 4 years plus.  

No pace robs us of different ways of playing. 

1 minute ago, 442 said:

Dis you see our crossing and deliveries from set peices yesterday?

I’m not fancying anyone to get on the end of them.

Harris and Reach can usually go to the byline and whip a ball across. We’ve seen it this season.

They need to both play on their natural side and we need to get crosses into the box. Harris wide right and Reach wide left Fletch/Winnall/Rhodes/Nuhiu - all lack pace but their career goals have shown they are a threat in the air. 

A quick striker would be ideal, but we don’t have one yet. So why not try and play to our strengths?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Completely disagree.

Whether one up top or two  up top our lack of a pacey option has hampered our play and made us predictable and one dimensional for 4 years plus.  

Harris, Murphy are both fairly quick and can hurt teams on the counter. Yes a quick striker would be ideal, but we started to address our issue with pace in the summer. Three players who are quick signed. 

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Harris, Murphy are both fairly quick and can hurt teams on the counter. Yes a quick striker would be ideal, but we started to address our issue with pace in the summer. Three players who are quick signed. 

Exactly.

That's why I'm suggesting the Murphy switch. 

He's clearly not going to be starting many on the flank ahead of Reach and Harris. 

And whilst we've addressed the pace issue in other areas of the pitch up top is the one area where we still desperately lack that weapon in our armoury. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Completely disagree.

You're the only other person to suggest this, some have mentioned harris up front but not murphy.

In team threads i've suggested trying him with fletch before for pos and neg reasons.

Positives he has pace, most top teams have pace up front, it gives more options, an outball, it pushes defences lines back that eases pressure and gives more space to play in. He also has composure.

Negatives, he cant cross and hasnt the right mentality to track back, less of an issue up top tho so worth trying at least as a sub option imo

Guest LittleG
49 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Sirry to disagree with you but one of the things we lack is pace up front, just think how a lot more effective we would be with this option. I have no confidence in Nuihu or Winnall getting on the end of crosses and putting the ball away, no matter how many we put into the box.

Don’t see him as a second striker but thought he did ok when he came on yesterday. Has the pace to make more runs inside to get closer to Fletcher and bring more to the team 

Monk is suffering from the same issue previous managers have.

Too many inconsistent players.

Players who have one good game in three, must drive him daft.

At the moment the choice between Reach and Murphy is an example, neither can be relied on.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Completely disagree.

We are really missing Joao

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly.

That's why I'm suggesting the Murphy switch. 

He's clearly not going to be starting many on the flank ahead of Reach and Harris. 

And whilst we've addressed the pace issue in other areas of the pitch up top is the one area where we still desperately lack that weapon in our armoury. 

This is the problem. Reach has been poor for a while but Monk will as you put it clearly still pick him.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We are really missing Joao

Yes and no. Missing a different opting certainly. 

For a lad with his speed he never played on the shoulder enough for my liking. 

Incidentally how's he getting on at Reading, I must admit id almost forgotten about him!