Murphy switch ?

39 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Have to disagree M’Lud

Its simply not possible to create a striker / goal scorer merely because they have pace.

Pace is desirable but no more so than a good first touch, anticipation, composure, finishing technique and strikers instinct. Even strikers who primarily run in behind the defence need to be able to play with their back to goal. Murphy has 30 goals in 178 appearances therefore there’s nothing to suggest he will regularly convert chances even if his pace gets him into positions 

It’s very rare to convert a player into a successful striker. Thierry Henry being a notable exception. Strikers seem to be born not made. 

I think there's a few. Trezeguet, Henry,  Kevin Philips, Paul Warhurst, Robin van Persie, Dion Dublin went from back to front to back again!

I think you can create a striker if they have the tools to play there.  

The lad has a knack of getting on the end of things. I'm fact he's probably got a better knack at that than his crossing!

His record might not show any evidence of him being a massive goal threat. It's a different position so the stats won't be as good. 

John Charles goal stats weren't that impressive when he was playing centre half as a kid at Leeds.  Or Kevin Phillips when he was playing right back as a kid at Southampton.

Murphy might not make a "traditional" striker. 

But then maybe the traditional strikers days are numbered. 

We've got two in the squad who can't get a sniff in Rhodes and Winnall

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, prowl said:

He doesn't look up for it. is he the player he was before his injury?

He was an honest striker, poor ball control but a burning desire to score. Now he looks disinterested, still got the poor ball control and a burning desire to play elsewhere.

Sorry to be negative but there does seem to be a problem. He's made one good appearance since he's come back. Everyone was raving about him, I didn't think he was all that.

I'd love him to come good, same with Rhodes, maybe Beattie can get one or other firing again. I really hope so , it would save us a packet.

Fair comment. 
He came on against Udders. Showed hunger and desire. Scored a goal with a very neat finish   (from a cross). Demonstrated good team spirit with his celebration and...............

Was dropped. 

Strikers need a run of games to reach full sharpness and confidence. Again I’m not saying Winnall IS the answer but he can’t be judged if he doesn’t play regularly. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think there's a few. Trezeguet, Henry,  Kevin Philips, Paul Warhurst, Robin van Persie, Dion Dublin went from back to front to back again!

I think you can create a striker if they have the tools to play there.  

The lad has a knack of getting on the end of things. I'm fact he's probably got a better knack at that than his crossing!

His record might not show any evidence of him being a massive goal threat. It's a different position so the stats won't be as good. 

John Charles goal stats weren't that impressive when he was playing centre half as a kid at Leeds.  Or Kevin Phillips when he was playing right back as a kid at Southampton.

Murphy might not make a "traditional" striker. 

But then maybe the traditional strikers days are numbered. 

We've got two in the squad who can't get a sniff in Rhodes and Winnall

exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis,

3 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Winnall has scored 85 goals in 223 appearances. Presumably he has roughly the same pace as he had at Barnsley. This is better than a goal every 3 games so it’s very likely that he can get on the end of crosses if he is given a run of games and we start to produce regular quality crosses. 

I think the season he signed for us he'd scored 14 goals for Barnsley in this division and 13 were from crosses. I dont think Winnall was given the chance to prove himself when he first came here and am sure he would have scored goals for us as he did at Deby. Unfortunately he doesn't look the same player since his injury and will no doubt now drift down the leagues. I'd be playing him and/or Rhodes in the under 23s to get them game time and hopefully confidence by scoring goals. 

14 hours ago, prowl said:

Joao isn't the answer. We thought he might be the business but he's toothless. (OK that was a bad joke). Seriously he could be fantastic if he could be a rsed but he couldn't. One moment of brilliance and half a dozen games of wandering round looking like he'd forgot to put his contact lenses in.

If Joao's the answer it must be a football quiz question.lol

Oh I agree but he COULD (not always did) offer us something different. At the moment we are severely lacking that. Joao isn't the answer as he isn't consistent but we could do with him over Winnall Rhodes.

My focus would be on strikers in January. And someone like Joao would be what id be targeting, although I know we don't have the money id still go after Wickham also.

19 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes and no. Missing a different opting certainly. 

For a lad with his speed he never played on the shoulder enough for my liking. 

Incidentally how's he getting on at Reading, I must admit id almost forgotten about him!

Oh I totally agree. He SHOULD have been brilliant and at times he was but at times he was gash. I would certainly prefer him in the squad over Winnall and Rhodes.

Injured I believe but wasn't pulling no trees up prior to his injury.