Number of players on loan

I know it's been mentioned before, but I didn't realise how bad the loan situation is. 

Leeds have 23 players out on loan, Sheff Utd have 14, Aston Villa have 13, and we have 1 (Jordan Rhodes). I was pretty surprised with that (based on wikipedia at least - is there a list of these numbers somewhere for all teams?)

We have a squad size of 45 (granted some of those are injured, but still), we definitely need to get more of the young players out on loan so they can develop.

From what Bruce has said he will sort out the squad size, it can't help motivate players on the fringes - hopefully some loans out this summer. 

Edited by jomaco

Just now, itsonmyhead said:

It’s like joe wildsmith, why hasn’t he been out on loan and got 30 games under his belt this season? A total waste of a year for the lad 

Wildsmith in particular yeah, his confidence must be rock bottom - he's actually a great prospect, but imagine he doesn't feel that way right now

Only thing Ive really heard before regarding loans is that if clubs don't accept the loan fee then they don't get our players on loan. We had Thorniley, Penney, Clare and a few others out on loan last season didn't we. And funnily enough all of them have kicked on in their careers. Shows you its worth doing. 

If we have to pay part of their wages and they go to league 2 or something, then still seems a better option than just being sat here - unless the club see's playing in U23s a better option? I guess the players will get to know each other on the pitch better for instance.

I do recall Penney for instance not getting much game time. I'd hope Wildsmith for one though could get a first team spot somewhere - the prob is Westwood was (apparently) supposed to be off so I guess we wanted/needed to keep him here, and the way it panned out meant he didn't get the cup games.

Edited by jomaco

For me this is Jos's fault. Whilst freezing out experienced first teamers like Hutch, Westwood, Boyd and Jones - he brought young players into the team who weren't ready and really could have done with regular football lower down the leagues so they can kick on this year. Now Bruce is in and the windows have shut, that opportunity is gone. 

We have 40 players in our squad. We could have done with 10 of them being loaned out this year.

Eg:

Wildsmith, Baker, O'Grady, Hunt, Kirby, Preston, Nielsen, Lee, Stobbs, Rice. 

2 hours ago, itsonmyhead said:

It’s like joe wildsmith, why hasn’t he been out on loan and got 30 games under his belt this season? A total waste of a year for the lad 

He was fantastic while Westwood was injured, there was talk of it being difficult for Westwood to get the No. 1 back off him as he performed that well. The following season he sank into obscurity - definitely an injustice he's not out getting games. 

37 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Can you still recall players on loan ??

If so get as many out as possible loan or otherwise and with someone like Wildsmith, get the recall option in should we have an injury crisis.

Believe you can only recall them during the transfer windows. 

40 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Can you still recall players on loan ??

If so get as many out as possible loan or otherwise and with someone like Wildsmith, get the recall option in should we have an injury crisis.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Believe you can only recall them during the transfer windows. 

I think there may be different rules for keepers though.