Tonight's player ratings

Thorniley best man on the pitch by a mile 

Lees solid 

Hector ok but scares me to death 

Baker, JP and Matias can’t fault their effort but not up to the standard of the league on a regular basis 

Bannan - trying to over do everything this season - I think mainly due to the garbage he plays with 

Reach - was he man marking the ref???

Penny - on a poor night for the team - he still managed to stand out as the worst player on the pitch 

8 hours ago, Ian said:

So Nuhiu was the 3rd best player in our team.....Christ I wonder what people are watching at times

I think he definatley was the 3rd most effective player in the team yes. Not saying he was good but he did cause some problems for the centre backs at least. 

8 hours ago, wiltonowl said:

There we go again

Lets all blame Pelupessy,like little black sheep,

Take a closer look at Bannan,for a midfielder how many times does he cross the half way line,he may be full of energy but as become very uneffective.

5 goals in 3 seasons,and very poor again tonight.

Thought everyone looked uninterested tonight,and just went through the motions of being a footballer.

It’s hard for Bannan to be effective when  he’s playing in the middle on his own.

The amount of times he has to tell Pelupessy where to pass the ball is laughable. 

Bannan improved as soon as FF came on when he actually has someone to link up with.

Defence looked ok against a very very poor Bolton strike force and you can see why they are the lowest scorers.

That miss/effort by Donaldson..  saying that he got in the position and a decent striker would have buried it and we would be looking at a 1-1 result.

Bannan was sat too deep in first half and nothing happened .. gave the ball away too much.. second half pushed forward and looked better.

Strikers were woefully poor.

Dawson - 6  still takes too long getting the ball out.. slows our play down allows the oppo to regroup

Baker - 4 looks lost - a good spell in league 2 would do him the world of good.  Palmer a far better option.

Lees - 6 Did ok good header which he needs to do more.

Hector - 5 Did ok but gave away a few loose passes.  you can see why we get punished against better players.

Thornily - 5 was decent but was flat footed a few times

Penny -  2 not good and hope his confidence doesn't get knocked.  needs a period on the bench. correct decision to pull him at HT.

Pelep - 4 average player - showed a little passion but league 1 standard at best, decent corners, better than Bannan

Bannan - 4 shocking first half passing in triangles with the CH's then back to keeper. Second pushed up and seemed better but not great

Reach - 4 off the pace despite looking out most lively player

MM - 4 off the pace and wasteful

Fletcher - 4 did nothing of note in his 30mins.

FF - 4 either still not fit or not interested, shame really but we could do with him back to his buzzing around form and creativity.

Joao - 4 - looked lively in the 10 mins he was on.  would have been better giving him 30 mins.  shame about the miss.

Tactics - 1 for the first half - 4 for the second half

Terrible match by two terrible teams.  We should be better - we will do well to maintain 14th - Bolton will go down.

Got a good chance to pick up some points over next few games.. and by god we need them otherwise we will be down fighting in the bottom 6.

Programme Seller  10 (programmes 3 quid) was the loudest crowd participation in the first half..  But 10/10 for the hardy folk who made the match.

• Haha 1

Dawson- 5 kicking terrible as per but didn't have a save to make. So hard to give him anything more than average mark.

Baker - 5 gets a 5 for his work rate but he is a very poor player. Can't cross. Is woefully slow and loses the ball time and time again. Was turned inside out quite a few times and we were lucky Bolton were so very bad.

Lees - 7 - lost the ball alot in the first half. But scored so gets a 7. He's not a captain. Doesn't drive the team on.
Defended okay and was solid but Bolton could still be playing now and wouldn't score they are dreadful.

Hector- 6 where was this big performance he promised us? Solid in the air but his passing was shocking 1st half. Defended alright against a very weak side.

Thorniley- 7 probably man of match
Very solid and did everything well. Although to be fair to baker thorniley never crossed the half way line so offered zero attacking threat.

Matias- 5 - high work rate as always but nothing really came off. Decision making poor and end product poor. Works hard though and is slightly quicker than the snail pace this team plays at.

Pelupessy- 5 - another weak performance
What does this guy do? He rarely tackles, never goes forward and loves to pass it back to Dawson. Hutchinson is a much better player. Great corner for the goal but that isn't sufficient to warrant his inclusion.

Bannan- 5 - very poor first half, better second but Not his usual self. Plays far far too deep. 1st half lots of half hearted mis placed passes. Never really got going and unusually his set piece delivery was Darren potteresq.
Played better when nando came on.

Reach- 5 - meh runs alot but did little else. I like reach out wide. He struggles in the middle. He had next to no pace so struggles to break the lines.
Like the rest of the team didn't seem interested until half time.

Penney- 4 dreadful and rightly taken off at half time. Another example of jos incompetence. This kid isn't a attacking winger. He's done alright at LB
I still am convinced the fans rate him because he isn't fox.
Lazy and over confident.
Hasn't played well since his new contract.

Fletcher- 5 - slow. Heavily isolated. Won a few flick on headers but playing one up front meant that it was flicked to no one.
Didn't seem injured when he sprinted the width of the pitch to come off? Showed little character there and he's clearly just there for his last big pay day.

Nuhui- 3 - this guy is beyond dreadful. Hes a league 2 player. Lone striker.... who spent most of his time our wide leaving no one in the middle.
My issue with Jos (one of many) is he's ousted senior pros but then still plays nuhiu when our most promising young players are actually attackers?

FF- 4 - quality is there to be seen but he couldn't be arsed. Spent most of the 2nd half sulking on the left wing and on 2 or 3 attacks couldn't even be bothered to run so just sat I the lb position.
Very poor by his standards.
Clearly not happy at not starting.

Jos- 2 - dreadful dreadful manager. I never want to lose a game but I'm honestly a little gutted we won. A win means this idiot will keep his job for the next 3 or 4 games at least now.

Let's not try to kid ourselves that was a dreadful performance against the worst team I've seen come to Hillsborough in the last 5 year's.
I said to my mate when we scored. We've won this. Bolton wouldn't score if we were still playing now. They didn't threaten us once. They were awful.
The worrying thing? We were only ever so slightly better.
We got a lucky goal from a corner. Otherwise that game was heading for 0-0

The team was changed again.
The formation was changed again
There was no fight
There was no energy
There was no desire
There was no quality.

It was one of the worst games of football you'll see ever.

I can't get behind this man as he has dismantled my team and turned us into one of the worst teams in the league playing truly dreadful football.
Do you ever seen any other team pass the ball to their keeper as much as we do?
It's dreadful.

Jos out!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Defence looked ok against a very very poor Bolton strike force and you can see why they are the lowest scorers.

That miss/effort by Donaldson..  saying that he got in the position and a decent striker would have buried it and we would be looking at a 1-1 result.

Bannan was sat too deep in first half and nothing happened .. gave the ball away too much.. second half pushed forward and looked better.

Strikers were woefully poor.

Dawson - 6  still takes too long getting the ball out.. slows our play down allows the oppo to regroup

Baker - 4 looks lost - a good spell in league 2 would do him the world of good.  Palmer a far better option.

Lees - 6 Did ok good header which he needs to do more.

Hector - 5 Did ok but gave away a few loose passes.  you can see why we get punished against better players.

Thornily - 5 was decent but was flat footed a few times

Penny -  2 not good and hope his confidence doesn't get knocked.  needs a period on the bench. correct decision to pull him at HT.

Pelep - 4 average player - showed a little passion but league 1 standard at best, decent corners, better than Bannan

Bannan - 4 shocking first half passing in triangles with the CH's then back to keeper. Second pushed up and seemed better but not great

Reach - 4 off the pace despite looking out most lively player

MM - 4 off the pace and wasteful

Fletcher - 4 did nothing of note in his 30mins.

FF - 4 either still not fit or not interested, shame really but we could do with him back to his buzzing around form and creativity.

Joao - 4 - looked lively in the 10 mins he was on.  would have been better giving him 30 mins.  shame about the miss.

Tactics - 1 for the first half - 4 for the second half

Terrible match by two terrible teams.  We should be better - we will do well to maintain 14th - Bolton will go down.

Got a good chance to pick up some points over next few games.. and by god we need them otherwise we will be down fighting in the bottom 6.

Programme Seller  10 (programmes 3 quid) was the loudest crowd participation in the first half..  But 10/10 for the hardy folk who made the match.

10/10 ?!?

He walked around like a slug and kept handing the programme to the wrong person. You must have been watching a different seller.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Thorniley 5 skinned far too often. Did well in the air.

Cheer the feck up guys, we won.

Completely agree with all your post, especially the cheer up bit. Only thing I disagree with is Thorniley, must have watched a different game to me, he was the best player on the pitch last night

• Like 1

Did I miss something last night?

Baker Getting Pelters and Thorniley MoM for many.

They murdered us down the Penney/Thorniley/FF side all night. How many times did they slip a schoolboy ball into the gap? A better side would have scored several from those openings.

By contrast, though Baker was decidedly average, I don’t recall anywhere near as much carnage down his side.

Question - why do some of us neg posters in Player Rating threads without posting why?

If a fan can be arssed to post a fairly involved critique of the players, why would you neg without at least engaging in a brief debate? I really enjoy these after-match threads because from your seat you never see everything that goes on and it’s really interesting to get other views.

By all means disagree and even neg, but explain why.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Did I miss something last night?

Baker Getting Pelters and Thorniley MoM for many.

They murdered us down the Penney/Thorniley/FF side all night. How many times did they slip a schoolboy ball into the gap? A better side would have scored several from those openings.

By contrast, though Baker was decidedly average, I don’t recall anywhere near as much carnage down his side.

Thorniley was the best player on the pitch i thought - (granted it wasn't hard) and is the only one of the youth side who is any good, he stuck to his task, did everything asked to a decent standard and looked solid against their best player.

Baker works hard but just isn't good enough

Penny - one game wonder 

I get that people are dissapointed with the performance, even though we won, and finally managed another clean sheet.

But, I really don’t understand the harsh words on some of the players.

Fessi is just back from injury, and although our best player, we can’t expect that much from him before he is fully matchfit. Same goes for Matias, who hasn’t had a good string of matches for us since... well, ever.

Baker, Penney, Dawson and Thorniley are still young and will be up and down, we cant rely on them to carry the team.

The ones who needs to stand out, are players like Bannan, Lees, Reach, Fletcher ( Obviously players like Fessi, Hooper and Winnall when fit). 

Would’ve hoped to at least add Westwood and Hutch in to that mix as well, but seems unlikely.

So please, direct you anger further upwards in the club.

Very poor game against a team that were as poor if not worse than us.

Summed Bolton up when they had the 2 men clear through and they couldn't even pass it in front of each other.

As for us another baffling starting line up, Penney looked like he didn't know what he was doing and in the first half our only attacking ploy was to hoof to the big man and Mattius run in behind hoping  for a flick on.

Second half we looked a bit better by trying to get players to support the ball to the big man for a lay off.

Dawson. 6.      Not much to do but what he did  have to deal with he did well.

Baker.  5.     Tries hard has stamina and gets up and down, but at the moment his passing and particularly his crossing is very poor.  Should not be learning his trade in the championship, should be out on loan at a lower level.

Lees 6.5.    Easy night for the defenders but took his goal well.

Hector.  6.  Easy night for the defence.

Thorniley.  6.5.  Targeted but responded well and is a solid defender, not a wingback.

Pelupessy. 5.5  Limited but gives is all.

Bannan. 5.5. Can't knock his commitment first half had a shocker but was decent in the second half. 

Reach.  5.5. Best player first half but poor second half

Penney  2. Hardly involved and when he was he was poor.

Fletcher.  5. Tactic was  obviously for him to flick it on for Matias. Had nothing to work with and only lasted 30 mins.

Mattias.   3. Kept running in behind looking for the knock on but this basic tactic didn't come off,  provided Boltons best pass of the night

Nuhiu 5.5. First half same as Fletcher had nothing to work with. Second half change of tactic receiving the ball below head height and did some decent link play.

FF.   5.5. Gave us the extra forward that we needed and has more abaility than the rest of the forwards put together. But not interested played like a 10 year old who had just had a telling off by the PE teacher.

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Question - why do some of us neg posters in Player Rating threads without posting why?

If a fan can be arssed to post a fairly involved critique of the players, why would you neg without at least engaging in a brief debate? I really enjoy these after-match threads because from your seat you never see everything that goes on and it’s really interesting to get other views.

By all means disagree and even neg, but explain why.

Whike I think Thornely is a hugely talented prospect, he’s not a LB for me. Makes Fox look like Roberto Carlos. 

But he’s relatively solid and like Fox adds a bit of presence from aerial side of things. 

Last night I don’t recall him being that bad, but maybe that was me giving benefit of doubt as he had little to no support from Penney, Fessi or his Bannan who I assume should cover that side like Joey does to help out Baker. 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Whike I think Thornely is a hugely talented prospect, he’s not a LB for me. Makes Fox look like Roberto Carlos. 

But he’s relatively solid and like Fox adds a bit of presence from aerial side of things. 

Last night I don’t recall him being that bad, but maybe that was me giving benefit of doubt as he had little to no support from Penney, Fessi or his Bannan who I assume should cover that side like Joey does to help out Baker. 

Roberto Carlos is 45 so I can see the comparison.

10 hours ago, wiltonowl said:

There we go again

Lets all blame Pelupessy,like little black sheep,

Take a closer look at Bannan,for a midfielder how many times does he cross the half way line,he may be full of energy but as become very uneffective.

5 goals in 3 seasons,and very poor again tonight.

Thought everyone looked uninterested tonight,and just went through the motions of being a footballer.

Dawson gets a 7 for doing his job and keeping a clean sheet.

Baker 6 actually tried

Joey 6 for being Bazzas better half

Reach 6 good 40 minutes here and there

Lees 6 for scoring

Others 5 for turning out except Bannan who can have a 4,for thinking he is better than the rest.

I like the lad just want him to be a team player again.

I agree with your point about Bannan hes been getting worse since Villa and he's back to hiding and sitting.

However, Pelupessy is so ineffectual its a joke. Its like we play with no CM at all.

I don't blame anyone other than Jos. I would literally rather have Abdi in there than those two at the moment !

37 minutes ago, torres said:

Thorniley was the best player on the pitch i thought - (granted it wasn't hard) and is the only one of the youth side who is any good, he stuck to his task, did everything asked to a decent standard and looked solid against their best player.

Baker works hard but just isn't good enough

Penny - one game wonder 

Thornley is our best CH. Should be the first name on the team sheet in a three or two at the back. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Lees.

52 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Thornley is our best CH. Should be the first name on the team sheet in a three or two at the back. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Lees.

All about opinions.

Mine is that one day, Thorniley might be better than Tom, but right now Tom is three times the player.