Tonight's player ratings

Dawson 6 - Had very little to do but played alright. 

Baker 5 - Sort of crawled through the game, lacked any confidence on the ball. Looked like a boy out there tonight.

Hector 5 - Needs to learn he’s not a Chelsea player. There’s a good player there but his over playing and not knowing when to just deal with it worries me. Has a mistake in him. 

Lees 7 Scored. Didn’t have much else to do. 

Thorniley 8 MOM... basically just for that tackle at the end. 

Joey 5 - Needs to offer more on the ball, too reliant on just giving it to Bannan. Becomes very repetitive. 

Bannan 6 - was ok, he has set a high bar for himself in a poor team this season.

Matias 5 - awful. Completely lacking any attacking threat and almost cost us a goal.

Reach 6 - sort of came in and out of the game. Still wonder what’s his best position. 

Penney 4 - bad day at the office today for the kid

Fletcher 5 Didn’t really make an impact while on the pitch. 

Subs 

Nuhiu 6 Back to his usual frustrating self. Will return to goal scoring form in March 2020 when his contract is due up. 

Nando 6 - Tried to make things happen. Shadow of himself from 2 years ago. 

Joao 6 - No real impact 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

All about opinions.

Mine is that one day, Thorniley might be better than Tom, but right now Tom is three times the player. 

I mean at the moment, surely you cant say Tom Lees is a shadow of the player he was ?? Not saying he cant get that back with a better system coach etc but at the moment he would be my 5th choice CB.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I mean at the moment, surely you cant say Tom Lees is a shadow of the player he was ?? Not saying he cant get that back with a better system coach etc but at the moment he would be my 5th choice CB.

Lees Still easily my No 1 CB, though Hector is close.

Not at his best I agree, but still best. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

In my opinion Tom Lees was at his best when Loovens was playing alongside him. When Loovens left he went downhill, then improved again with Venancio playing alongside him.

This season he's regressed again although slightly improved playing alongside Thorniley. Also I don't believe having the captains armband is helping him.

Edited by Hookowl

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Lees Still easily my No 1 CB, though Hector is close.

Not at his best I agree, but still best. 

Not getting at you just trying to work out opinions, but currently if you were picking the side would you pick Lees ? And if so would you have him Captain ?

A poor game all round, which was ridiculously bad at times and almost as though both teams were embarrassed to have to play the other, or make it look as though they were trying too hard. I cannot understand why we lower our poor standards of football to even lower levels against opposition like Bolton. If we had played anything like we did against Derby this would have been 3-0 or more to us, but we did more than Bolton and should have had more goals.

8    -   Tom Lees with another outstanding performance and a captain's goal. Hopefully he will now return back to his best form and hold it to the end of the season.

7.5 -   Thorniley. I would play Thorniley every game until he actually looks tired, because he has a good level of performance more often than not and again last                     night.

7    -   Hector. Goes walk about too often for my liking, as he did last night, but his distribution from the back was better than Bannan's & we did not get punished                    or him being out of position, for a change, which is probably more down luck & to Bolton's incompetence than Hector's game management. 

-       Reach. The only person who was prepared to have a few shots at goal although Mattias had one courtesy of Reach's through ball first half & Bannan had a                 few very wayward efforts. He works hard in that midfield role, got some good tackles in and made up for his mistakes more often than not. 

-       Dawson. Didn't have a great deal to do, but caught & handled very well, made a good save, came out well & commanded his box when the pressure was on. 

-       Pelupessy. Tackled well, ran well, obstructed, pulled and pushed well, doing nearly all the team's dirty work, while providing one of the best balls into the box               first half and a couple in the second half, one of which gave Tom his goal. 

6.5 -   Mattias. Provided the only movement up front, especially after Fletcher's knock, got a shot away and worked hard winning plenty of free kicks and a tackle                   which would have seen him booked if it had not been timed so perfectly.

-       Bannon. Didn't have a good game by his high standards passing wise, but seemed to realise early on and gave the ball to others more often, to make the long             passes, free kicks etc. He showed what a good team player he is by running twice as hard to make up for his below par passing. 

-       Baker. Had a game that was much more like his first appearance for us, when he had looked impressive, compared to what we had been seeing there. 

-       Forestieri. There is still a way to go for Nando to get back to his best, but effort & trickery wise this was a decent showing coming on as a sub.

-       Nuhiu. Came on for Fletcher and held the ball up much better, made a couple of great interventions/passes &, but for the heavy pace on one of Bannan's                     through balls, may have had a good chance on goal. I am sure he would benefit from a good run in the team, like he had last season. 

-       Joao. Could have come on much earlier. Bolton would have looked a lot more uncomfortable with Nuhiu, Joao and FF on the pitch from the start. 

6  -     Fletcher. Looked off the beat from early on. Rarely attacking the ball to win a header, getting pushed off far too easily and getting a bang on the head quite                   early which, judging by Bullen's sign language back to the bench, left him dizzy, with blurred vision.

-       Penney. Didn't have a great deal to do, but caught & handled very well, made a good save, came out well & commanded his box when the pressure was on. 

• Thanks 1

Just as an aside, I thought it was strange how, considering that Baker was said by Jos to have run over 13km in the last match, I kind of expected him to be replaced by Palmer or to play and have a shocker. Weirdly, Palmer did not play, so why was that then? Even more weirdly Baker had quite a decent game, so what does that tell us?

Hopefully we can get a few more points on the board now before we have to rest during another international break! 

50 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Not getting at you just trying to work out opinions, but currently if you were picking the side would you pick Lees ? And if so would you have him Captain ?

Definitely would pick Lees.

In a back 4 I would have Lees-Hector.

In a back 3 I would have Lees-Hector-Thorniley.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Definitely would pick Lees.

In a back 4 I would have Lees-Hector.

In a back 3 I would have Lees-Hector-Thorniley.

Interesting opinions as under usual circumstances I would have but at the moment it would be back 2 of Hector Thornley and back three of Hutch Hector Thornley.

But to be honest I would play Hutch in CM

21 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Just as an aside, I thought it was strange how, considering that Baker was said by Jos to have run over 13km in the last match, I kind of expected him to be replaced by Palmer or to play and have a shocker. Weirdly, Palmer did not play, so why was that then? Even more weirdly Baker had quite a decent game, so what does that tell us?

Hopefully we can get a few more points on the board now before we have to rest during another international break! 

That me and you see the game in a totally different way my friend   :biggrin:

59 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

37 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

That me and you see the game in a totally different way my friend   :biggrin:

I like to be level headed and put things in context sheriwozgod, so I had a look at a stats site, to see if I was looking through rose coloured glasses, or whether Baker had, in the context of a poor game, a higher than average game.

When you put it into context sheriwozgod, Baker is a 22 year old right back who has made just 9 senior appearances, all for us in the Championship and his first game was last season. He was up against a 27 year old winger who has played first team football since 2010, with 237 first team games, 223 in Holland and 114 in England the vast majority of them (over 80) in the Championship and yet Baker who has been far from impressive in his games so far, got more points than the winger he was up against and 7 other members of the Bolton team, according to whoscored.com who analyse the statistics regarding tackles won, dribbles completed, passes made, etc for every player on the pitch. If every single one of our players outplayed their direct opponents by the same amount in every game, we would obviously be top of the league.

So yes sheriwozgod, I am pleased to say that I did see the game totally differently to youlol

Not brilliant though was it mate, I think we all saw that!

2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

A poor game all round, which was ridiculously bad at times and almost as though both teams were embarrassed to have to play the other, or make it look as though they were trying too hard. I cannot understand why we lower our poor standards of football to even lower levels against opposition like Bolton. If we had played anything like we did against Derby this would have been 3-0 or more to us, but we did more than Bolton and should have had more goals.

8    -   Tom Lees with another outstanding performance and a captain's goal. Hopefully he will now return back to his best form and hold it to the end of the season.

7.5 -   Thorniley. I would play Thorniley every game until he actually looks tired, because he has a good level of performance more often than not and again last                     night.

7    -   Hector. Goes walk about too often for my liking, as he did last night, but his distribution from the back was better than Bannan's & we did not get punished                    or him being out of position, for a change, which is probably more down luck & to Bolton's incompetence than Hector's game management. 

-       Reach. The only person who was prepared to have a few shots at goal although Mattias had one courtesy of Reach's through ball first half & Bannan had a                 few very wayward efforts. He works hard in that midfield role, got some good tackles in and made up for his mistakes more often than not. 

-       Dawson. Didn't have a great deal to do, but caught & handled very well, made a good save, came out well & commanded his box when the pressure was on. 

-       Pelupessy. Tackled well, ran well, obstructed, pulled and pushed well, doing nearly all the team's dirty work, while providing one of the best balls into the box               first half and a couple in the second half, one of which gave Tom his goal. 

6.5 -   Mattias. Provided the only movement up front, especially after Fletcher's knock, got a shot away and worked hard winning plenty of free kicks and a tackle                   which would have seen him booked if it had not been timed so perfectly.

-       Bannon. Didn't have a good game by his high standards passing wise, but seemed to realise early on and gave the ball to others more often, to make the long             passes, free kicks etc. He showed what a good team player he is by running twice as hard to make up for his below par passing. 

-       Baker. Had a game that was much more like his first appearance for us, when he had looked impressive, compared to what we had been seeing there. 

-       Forestieri. There is still a way to go for Nando to get back to his best, but effort & trickery wise this was a decent showing coming on as a sub.

-       Nuhiu. Came on for Fletcher and held the ball up much better, made a couple of great interventions/passes &, but for the heavy pace on one of Bannan's                     through balls, may have had a good chance on goal. I am sure he would benefit from a good run in the team, like he had last season. 

-       Joao. Could have come on much earlier. Bolton would have looked a lot more uncomfortable with Nuhiu, Joao and FF on the pitch from the start. 

6  -     Fletcher. Looked off the beat from early on. Rarely attacking the ball to win a header, getting pushed off far too easily and getting a bang on the head quite                   early which, judging by Bullen's sign language back to the bench, left him dizzy, with blurred vision.

-       Penney. Didn't have a great deal to do, but caught & handled very well, made a good save, came out well & commanded his box when the pressure was on. 

Surprised they took him off at half time..He was gettin' away with murder!!! lol

• Haha 2