Please assist ...

We used to hide around the pit bottom, wait until the deputies had "departed" then followed then up on the next available cage, then hang around until the next "legitimate" ride was coming up and then clock out straight to lockers for cigs and into the shower before everyone else, then breakfast in canteen before bus to Rawmarsh and Barnsley areas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Halcyon days mate. We had proper music back then. The punk and new wave era really shook up the British music scene. We were born at the right time.

You're not wrong bud, i was 18 in 1979 and even though i'm getting on i wouldn't swap with an 18 year old today and missed what i've gone through and seen. CCTV everywhere, your evey move played back on facefook and instagram, not a chance. I'm well travelled, but nothing ever came  close to those few years at the Limit and South Yorkshire at the time, football, music and politics. Scary times but by God what a laugh. And i'm bi-lingual in metric and imperial, and that is a gift of birth.

• Like 2

I had a sheltered upbringing and a motherly introduction to working life..

I remember her stroking my hair and saying..."do you feel like getting up for a bit of dinner? don't worry about nasty work because daddy takes care of all of that my little toffee apple... your fiancée is waiting in the kitchen when you feel like coming down."

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Yeah my best mate a work for last 24 years used to work at Grimethorpe pit and is a keen birdwatcher and angler.

I started working with him 24 years ago and he's taught me alot about standing by your workmates amongst many other things. He's a proper gent and the best grafter I've ever worked with.

I’ve got too many stories to mention (laugh/serious). Some proper laughs though - practical jokes.

Adversity and great, great, times.

Special people and special times. Working with the same coal face team, day after day, month after month and year after year was like having a second family.

With overtime, I spent more time with the fitter than I did with my family and wife. “My fitter” had a framed  picture of his German Shephard above his tool box, the daft sod.

It was completely different culture.

All memories now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I’ve got too many stories to mention (laugh/serious). Some proper laughs though - practical jokes.

Special people and special times. Working with the same coal face team, day after day, month after month and year after year was like having a second family.

With overtime, I spent more time with the fitter than I did with my family and wife. “My fitter” had a framed  picture of his German Shephard above his tool box, the daft sod.

All memories now.

True you spend so much time with these people they are like family and help shape alot of who you are. The laughs and experiences you share are what make the daily grind bearable. Unfortunately a few of these lads are no longer with us but i still laugh at some of the things we got up to.

Edited by full fathom five

5 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

All memories now.

My background is building.. it's called construction now..yawn..and I came across the the same subbys for years and got a good rapport... If he's reading this.. I'm sorry Terry.

A plumber went to work everyday for 20 odd years with his Bassett.

I mentioned how well he looked and he said (not the dog) that he was getting his number plate on the van changed from leak20 to the dogs name... he came on site with the new number plate and I went over to witness the dog look at his snap box..cough and die on the spot.