Please assist ...

7 minutes ago, steveger said:

Yup mate, i only worked underground at Maltby for 3 years and i can honestly say i have never worked with a better set of blokes, well apart from once when we ended up labouring cable pulling for my dad of all people, he was one of the charge-hand electricians and a reyt slave driving c**t..... i am glad to say i only ever worked with his once at the pit...:biggrin: 

He's mellowed now and i have done many a re-wire with him over the years, totally different charterer away from the pit...

I remember, when my kids were young and money was tight, one Christmas the pit was only shut Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

They asked me if I’d work Christmas Day as a face cable was damaged and needed changing. 

Triple time. Job and done.

A team of us agreed. “They” only went and damaged the bloody cable running through the face.

They manager asked us if we’d work Boxing Day too and have another go (he was well miffed).

Top, Top lads - just a different sort really.  Everyone says it, and, talk is cheap.

But I mean it.

Met some very bright cerebral characters down the pit - left school at 15 types.

Some of their wisdom was awesome. 

• Thanks 1

Saw The Skids at at The Limit if that helps.

Think they were from Steveger’s neck of the woods, so probably half St Mirren, or other Scottish club, and half Sheffield Wednesday.

Coronation Street Stars. Albert Tatlock, Albert Tatlock. Maquerade. Working for The Yankee Dollar. 

52 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

A tail gate Ripper who I worked with at Orgreave,  claimed his niece was one of the female singers.

I once forgot my snap and he shared his roast beef and horse radish sandwiches with me.

Proper roast beef - from the previous days roast.

Horse radish, I'd have required a water note after that

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Horse radish, I'd have required a water note after that

Bloody “water note” that brings back memories.

We had  “nice” deputies and overmen that would give us a note to take “urgent” electrical tackle out of the pit to the electricians cabin. Always got the charge hand to ring him up.

We used to run across the pit yard like we’d just got out of prison - to be first in the showers.

Shower and smoke at the same time - that was some art.

”Water notes”. eh. Bloody hell, I’ve not heard that for 25 years?

Magic times - (I couldn’t do it all again, it’d kill me).

lol

Edited by ReadingOwl

7 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Saw The Skids at at The Limit if that helps.

Think they were from Steveger’s neck of the woods, so probably half St Mirren, or other Scottish club, and half Sheffield Wednesday.

Coronation Street Stars. Albert Tatlock, Albert Tatlock. Maquerade. Working for The Yankee Dollar. 

Was there as well, they did into Just  the valley about 6 times as an encore. The undertones did 10 encores of teenage kicks. Just remembered The Specials (75p ticket) and Joe Jackson, he was about 6' 13''.

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

We had  “nice” deputies and overmen that would give us a note to take “urgent” electrical tackle out of the pit to the el3ctricians cabin. Always got the charge hand to ring him up.

We used to run across the pit yard like we’d just got out of prison - to be first in the showers.

lol

I'll be honest i didn't work down the pits but i work and have worked with many ex pit men and they are some right characters. I've heard so many funny and some horrific stories of some of the injuries they saw.

Different times and you certainly wouldn't be able to do a lot of what they got up to nowadays in this era of political correctness.

1 minute ago, peacock1961 said:

Was there as well, they did into Just  the valley about 6 times as an encore. The undertones did 10 encores of teenage kicks. Just remembered The Specials (75p ticket) and Joe Jackson, he was about 6' 13''.

Halcyon days mate. We had proper music back then. The punk and new wave era really shook up the British music scene. We were born at the right time.

Just now, full fathom five said:

I'll be honest i didn't work down the pits but i work and have worked with many ex pit men and they are some right characters. I've heard so many funny and some horrific stories of some of the injuries they saw.

Different times and you certainly wouldn't be able to do a lot of what they got up to nowadays in this era of political correctness.

One of the things that has always struck me was their love and respect  for nature and animals.

Out of the pit - they were off. Birdwatching, walking, fishing, dogs and pidgeons.

Environmentalists - before it was even common politics.

Makes sense - with hindsight I suppose.

Some really kind, sensitive and wise blokes I worked with. Some proper gentle giants too.

* And complete Nutjobs too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

We had  “nice” deputies and overmen that would give us a note to take “urgent” electrical tackle out of the pit to the electricians cabin. Always got the charge hand to ring him up.

lol

got early notes for taking out the cool box, ice box, pummel ends

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

One of the things that has always struck me was their love and respect  for nature and animals.

Out of the pit - they were off. Birdwatching, walking, fishing, dogs and pidgeons.

Environmentalists - before it was even common politics.

Makes sense - with hindsight I suppose.

Some really kind, sensitive and wise blokes I worked with. Some proper gentle giants too.

* And complete Nutjobs too.

Yeah my best mate a work for last 24 years used to work at Grimethorpe pit and is a keen birdwatcher and angler.

I started working with him 24 years ago and he's taught me alot about standing by your workmates amongst many other things. He's a proper gent and the best grafter I've ever worked with.

• Thanks 1