Who should stay or go - Availability factor

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think we will see an almighty clear out in

the summer and there will be a rebuild based on our own youngsters and players from lower leagues and unknown foreigners. 

I see Reach and Forestieri leaving but I have a feeling that Bannan will stay. It would be sensible to sell Reach in January if a big bid came on. 

Think this will happen also..................but i live in fear as to who will decide on the replacements.

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest in his current form I'd play Reach as an outisde forward.

if.png

Thats the team Id go with. Key thing for me is to stick to the above system and stick with those 2 centre halves and let them build a partnership. 

Having Winnall and Matias on the bench would be a massive boost. 

5 minutes ago, supersiggi said:

Very sensible approach. I think there's a few kids out of contract apart from Penney that might be worth keeping too.

Problem  with a sensible long term plan is that fans and chairman won't put up with it. We've seen that first hand - loads clamouring for the kids to be given a chance and the likes of Jones, Boyd and Abdi to be dropped - 3 poor performances and these pages are full of "where's Boyd and Jones?"!

Couldn't make it up.

that's the problem in a nutshell mate...….everyone wants it now which is a shame coz if we build on strong foundations like we did under jack Charlton and ron Atkinson then you build summat that can last but like you say in the modern era of fans & owners  both of them would have been sacked long before there work started to pay dividends .

6 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Think this will happen also..................but i live in fear as to who will decide on the replacements.

I think a key is that though many will be leaving we won't be recouping much money except on saving wages.

Suspect it'll be frees out and frees in.

The only difference being I think we'll see a drop in all over average squad age.

Which is a good thing.

I just hope people don't start having a meltdown if they haven't heard of any of the players we bring in.

The days of "names" are , one has to imagine, a thing of the past. And that might be no bad thing.

(In fact given our record that might be an excellent thing ....but long term)

10 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Thats the team Id go with. Key thing for me is to stick to the above system and stick with those 2 centre halves and let them build a partnership. 

Having Winnall and Matias on the bench would be a massive boost. 

I'm a fan of the same backline whever possible.  Though none have really covered themselves in glory.

It's the balancing act too I think. If someone has a mare and there's someone else looking on they'll think they should be in. And you don't want too many people around the place with the monk on. There's enough of them in the stands!

Whever possible though Id put that back four out every game for the next month and see if they can gell.

(There is a shout for Fox to be fair. I thought he was good against Birmingham but it was largly overlooked in the preceding meltdown!)

Shame about Winnall. I don't think he's any great talent, but he does provide one thing in buckets -Movement. He's a very willing runner.

Edited by Lord Snooty

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think a key is that though many will be leaving we won't be recouping much money except on saving wages.

The only difference being I think we'll see a drop in all over average squad age.

Which is a good thing.

I just hope people don't start having a meltdown if they haven't heard of any of the players we bring in.

The days of "names" are , one has to imagine, a thing of the past. And that might be no bad thing.

Yeah i get that Snoots, and i have no truck with bringing in young uns and lower league  "unknown "players....................providing they are any good !!

Which brings me back to my original point, who will be doing the recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Which is a good thing.

doesn't have to be that way if we sell what assets we have and start from scratch …….chansiri says he still as the funds you'd like to think that a complete clearout  would get us well onside of FFP and if this time he used his money wisely with the right bloke recruiting the players then there's no reason we'd have to be scrapping around for free transfers 

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Yeah i get that Snoots, and i have no truck with bringing in young uns and lower league  "unknown "players....................providing they are any good !!

Which brings me back to my original point, who will be doing the recruiting.

Me either. In fact I look forward to it. Do fear though that there might be some rage when we are bringing in Bob Applecart from Accrington Stanley no matter what the potential :laugh:

Recruitment - we have to hope beyond all hope that the "lessons have been learnt" to use this countrys stock reply any to any balls up!

I suspect. Don't know , but suspect that Jos will have said from day one he wants his own targets. He's been allowed to bring in Hector and Onomah who were his choices. (Unlike having Butterfield dropped on him!)

And he got his way with Pelupessy. (Which whatever people might think of him you have to say hasn't been bad value for £375k compared to the average championship midfielder price.

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

doesn't have to be that way if we sell what assets we have and start from scratch …….chansiri says he still as the funds you'd like to think that a complete clearout  would get us well onside of FFP and if this time he used his money wisely with the right bloke recruiting the players then there's no reason we'd have to be scrapping around for free transfers 

I don't know the full ins and outs. But even allowing for examples sake the sale of Bannan, Forestieri and Reach for £20m that's a dent in want we've spaffed in signing on fees, transfer fees, bonuses etc etc. Agents fees. Levys.

I really think it'll be the dawn of the unheard ofs.

But if they're young, fit, and have potential then I'm all for it.

29 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Which is a good thing.

Dem Blades aint doing bad with unknown players.

15 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't know the full ins and outs. But even allowing for examples sake the sale of Bannan, Forestieri and Reach for £20m that's a dent in want we've spaffed in signing on fees, transfer fees, bonuses etc etc. Agents fees. Levys.

I really think it'll be the dawn of the unheard ofs.

But if they're young, fit, and have potential then I'm all for it.

i'm not convinced that's the way to go ….young fit players with potential arnt usually available on free transfers as they get loaned out by there clubs rather than released  and to get probably 6-10 to replace the deadwood we are shifting out will be a challenge for whoever is doing the recruitment …….20 million for the 3 you mentioned plus 8 -12million we save on wages would put us on a sound financial footing which IF  chansiri is to be believed the funds that he says he still has would enable us to buy some decent players on sensible contracts . 

Just now, torryowl said:

i'm not convinced that's the way to go ….young fit players with potential arnt usually available on free transfers as they get loaned out by there clubs rather than released  and to get probably 6-10 to replace the deadwood we are shifting out will be a challenge for whoever is doing the recruitment …….20 million for the 3 you mentioned plus 8 -12million we save on wages would put us on a sound financial footing which IF  chansiri is to be believed the funds that he says he still has would enable us to buy some decent players on sensible contracts . 

And that's where I think the younger unheard of players come in.

Oh, I'm suggesting we're going to go out and manage to nick a load of highly rated U21 Internationals or anything.

I think it will be lads 22/23 aleready playing in the division below. Holland and Germany who we'll get for a fraction of what we'd pay for the others.

Some will be free though if they are out of contract - As we know only too well ourselves!

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

And that's where I think the younger unheard of players come in.

Oh, I'm suggesting we're going to go out and manage to nick a load of highly rated U21 Internationals or anything.

I think it will be lads 22/23 aleready playing in the division below. Holland and Germany who we'll get for a fraction of what we'd pay for the others.

Some will be free though if they are out of contract - As we know only too well ourselves!

depends who the manager is and whether he's allowed a free reign ….but getting young lads from germany or Holland unless we have a manager who knows those leagues then your dependant on the agents who are touting them ……good young English players from the lower leagues don't come cheap either . ..to do it on the cheap would be very hard for us to stay competitive .

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

depends who the manager is and whether he's allowed a free reign ….but getting young lads from germany or Holland unless we have a manager who knows those leagues

And we do...unless the growing tide of people wanting an old school manager who knows this divison keeps growing

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

…good young English players from the lower leagues don't come cheap either . ..to do it on the cheap would be very hard for us to stay competitive .

It would.

Unless we can get ourselves a Belgium club to launder players through on the cheap :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think we will see an almighty clear out in

the summer and there will be a rebuild based on our own youngsters and players from lower leagues and unknown foreigners. 

I see Reach and Forestieri leaving but I have a feeling that Bannan will stay. It would be sensible to sell Reach in January if a big bid came on. 

I concur, 

Villa treated Bannan poorly and was forced to Palace. Believe me or not but I once had a chat with him and a villa fan in the toilets in the common room. He was very open that he villa is his club but was miffed by them big time. Make him club captain he will stay.