Who should stay or go - Availability factor

With the best will in the world, injured players won’t be moved on, unless they are out of contract. There are one or two, who are supposedly fit, who aren’t getting a look in now. If we aren’t going to use them, then they simply have to be sold. Of course, it’s possible that they have already refused moves, that’s why they are now in exile. That’s just speculation on my part though, and in all honesty, I don’t think that’s the case. Either way, we have to find a way of moving them on, because having players around with that sort of grievance, isn’t good for squad morale.

Of course, just moving on those we might like to move on, might not meet the shortfall we need to address. Then it becomes a bit of a lottery, and to an extent, out of our hands. Given his age, and current performances, Reach is probably our most saleable asset He would be a big loss of course, but perhaps easier to replace than say, Forestieri, who anyway, wouldn’t bring in such a big transfer fee. I would imagine, that would do it. One big sale, and most of the high earning out of contract players gone, should leave us clear of sanctions.

4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think we will see an almighty clear out in

the summer and there will be a rebuild based on our own youngsters and players from lower leagues and unknown foreigners. 

I see Reach and Forestieri leaving but I have a feeling that Bannan will stay. It would be sensible to sell Reach in January if a big bid came on. 

I don't see this happening as come April - 2 months before the end of this season we have to give the football league our figures, if we wait for the summer for Boyd, Abdi, Westwood, Hutch, Jones and co to leave we will have wasted another £25m+ over the season with most on players injured or not allowed to play so we will once again be under transfer embargo.

Put in simple terms players can go but no one can come in. The likely situation is we will start next season with a patched up team of about 18 players with only Fessi, Reach, Bannan, Lees, Joao, Nuihu and Winnall as senior players the rest will be kids. Unless we can find some gems that are world beaters from the youth set up we are going to be fighting relegation. If we stay up then we can start again 2020/21 season. 

This is the situation we are now in from years of mis-management of the club. But don't worry I am sure there will be an increase in price not a reduction.

6 hours ago, ReginaldD said:

I agree with most of the OPs points and agree in an ideal world it makes more sense to get rid of Abdi, Jones, Boyd etc on big wages but not playing. 

However who in their right mind  who would buy them for any sort of fee which will make a dent in our P&S (FFP) issues. 

In my understanding DC kept the squad together where possible in the summer in the vague hope we have a great unexpected season like Cardiff. 

He'll now be able to see the reality that we very much aren't hoping up. As such I expect to see two of Bannan, Reach and Forestieri gone in January. Not through choice but simply as this will will be the only way to avoid a summer embargo or poinys deduction

But opinion seems to be that even if we sell we won’t be able to buy. We should be building a team around out quality players, not looking t9 get shut.

1 hour ago, owls79 said:

I can see Norwich putting a bid in for Rhodes maybe January if he carries on scoring. Decent price maybe not what we paid boro for him but at least it's something and wages off the bill.

Can’t we get Rhodes back and give them Dave instead? That would make me happy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owls79 said:

I can see Norwich putting a bid in for Rhodes maybe January if he carries on scoring. Decent price maybe not what we paid boro for him but at least it's something and wages off the bill.

Think the best we can hope for, is a fee of about £3m. That would likely be the top offer as well, unless he can bag a hatful of goals before January To be honest, that was probably a truer reflection of his value when we signed him Quite what we were doing, paying what we did, lord only knows.

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1