Dawson

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

This must be a wind up. FF ran and worked his socks off tonight; the issue was midfield and the lack of creativity, movement and control

Thanks for your quote LG

No not a wind up.. 

Not a massive Forestieri fan.

I think he's more suited an impact player when teams run out of steam ..

Not a starter for me 

Only an opinion though 

I trust our manager to get us right 

Work in progress ......

• Like 1

Just now, djorkaeff said:

He’s a good keeper. He’s 22. We should support him. 

We we lack a loovens, natural leader. Lees is not. 

Our right backs aren’t good enough. 

The way lees never appears to encourage and gee up his teammates, as captain, always baffles me 

3 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Thanks for your quote LG

No not a wind up.. 

Not a massive Forestieri fan.

I think he's more suited an impact player when teams run out of steam ..

Not a starter for me 

Only an opinion though 

I trust our manager to get us right 

Work in progress ......

No problem. I could tell from your original post that you are not FF's biggest fan but like I said they were far more pressing problems all through the team last night

What has happened to Wildsmith??. I'm not having a go at Dawson, he's a young lad learning his trade, but his form has been dipping and he's making quite a few errors at the moment, same with the lad baker, maybe time to pull them out of the firing line for a few games, take the pressure off them a bit and give them some mental and physical rest.

8 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

So we didn't miss the goalscorer who was sat on Aston Villa deep lying midfielder harrying into mistakes, winning ball high up the pitch,  carrying it with pace and setting up numerous breakaways.

Tell u what that Kitch fella would not have had freedom of park to dictate the game if we'd have played Matias.

I honestly don't think he would have made any difference last night. We had issues all over the pitch especially midfield. We backed off and let them control the game and so no I don't think his presence would have changed that. It's all about opinions

Agree about Lees being lacking as captain.

On Dawson I was pleased that fat messed up people in nasty sportswear were yelling abuse at him last night. The best way to get a young player to do better is to get on his back.

What was obvious last night was that Dawson has rightly been told to work on his distribution. Against Stoke it was long kick after long kick, immediately risking possession This isn't Scottish league two. However, there is some way to go, to put it mildly.

Westwood's distribution isn't great either to be fair  - the main reason he is playing for us rather than a league higher.

Jos to blame for this stupid insistence of playing it out from the back. It blatantly wasn’t working last night and we needed to abandon it. Instead, we were intent on self destruct mode which nearly and probably should have cost us. Dawson does not instill confidence and the reality is that until the club actually tell us what the hell is going on with Westwood, he will constantly be questioned. 

Lets not make Dawson the latest scapegoat. The whole team were second best to Leeds in the second half, inevitably putting pressure on the last line of defence.

Watching Leeds last night reminded me very much of Howard Wilkinson’s best Owls teams. Full of super fit, physically powerful players, playing to a well rehearsed plan and steamrolling opponents into submission.

Fortunately for us they didn’t quite manage it but we won’t come up against many teams like Leeds this season.

Just now, Blatter said:

Watching Leeds last night reminded me very much of Howard Wilkinson’s best Owls teams. Full of super fit, physically powerful players, playing to a well rehearsed plan and steamrolling opponents into submission.

Love this style of play. 

3 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Lets not make Dawson the latest scapegoat. The whole team were second best to Leeds in the second half, inevitably putting pressure on the last line of defence.

Fortunately for us they didn’t quite manage it but we won’t come up against many teams like Leeds this season.

SPOT ON!

14 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Nobody is making Dawson a scapegoat FFS...………..they are just highlighting a rare poor performance, what are we supposed to do , lie and say he was great ?

Now if you want to see a scapegoat thread check out the FF under pressure thread.

Try reading some of the posts on here mate. 

Its gone way beyond constructive criticism.

There were several poor performances last night.

Dawson was one among many. Forestieri, Bannan Pelupessy and Reach were largely ineffective second half.

• Like 1

He didn’t have his best game but I wouldn’t make him a scapegoat - it was a team effort. 

I must admit though it did get annoying when he was rolling it out to the defence when there were 5+ L**ds players in our half. Only option then was to play it back and be under more pressure, or turn it in to a long ball game, hoofing it up every time; and we did both - put ourselves under pressure at the back and kept playing the long ball which they mostly won. 

Thorniley was outpaced all night at left back and Lees had to slot in behind him for support, leaving a big gaping hole to run in to in the centre, which they did over and over whilst everyone else backed off, inviting shots from just outside the area, one of which of course went in. 

Forestieri was tearing around all night but it got tiresome to see him collapse to the floor under every challenge looking for the foul; I think he only got one or two awarded all night, but I think that says a lot about the ref too who was just awful. It shows that he has awarded the most fouls per match in the championship and it spoilt the flow of a high tempo game which we dominated in the first 20 minutes. 

Bannan struggled all night - not his fault but he was closely marked the whole match so he couldn’t really get going. 

Anyone I’ve missed out?

1 hour ago, roundhayowl said:

Jos to blame for this stupid insistence of playing it out from the back. It blatantly wasn’t working last night and we needed to abandon it.

Swings and roundabouts.

Start going long with the kicks and don't win the ball at the other end (and with the ref allowing Janssen to foulld Fletcher and Forestieri every time that's not hard to imagine)  then we simply surrender possession straight away back to a team that's already dominating.

10 hours ago, GoldGigsChris said:

Decision making,  going for the wrong balls, flapping, short balls out (probably Jos's suggestion), etc.

I'm sure you can see he didn't have a great game, but he's a real assett for the future. It's not what he did wrong tonight,, but what he's done right recently.

Thought he made the right decisions, went for the right balls and didn't flap.  Let one goal in and didn't seem nervy at all.  

13 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Shame I thought he was below par tonight. 

Strange he dealt with and held the tougher balls that fizzed and bounced just in front of him (compliments for that), but hashed what I’d say much simpler catches and punches.

Young keeper and will learn. 

As for playing from the back it’s obvious those are his instructions, but I’d like to see him take responsibility and not do it as often when it’s clearly not working vs a good high pressing team. 

it will make him, or break him, one way or the other i just wish we'd arrive at that point sooner than later.