What do you expect?

After the predictable meltdown I'd just like to ask what fans are expecting from Jos Luhukay and this team, for me this team is a mid table side which should achieve a finish somewhere between 9th and 14th. Reasons being- 

1. Jos has had no money to spend over two transfer windows now, to address the glaring issues within the squad that were not addressed during the previous 3 seasons under different management. Because of this he has bravely turned to youth players and has helped bring through two of the best young talents we've had in a long time in Thorniley and Penney. 

2. Because of this lack of investment over the last 2 windows (Not the chairman's lack of wanting, I understand we have to adhere to rules) we have actually gone backwards. We are a weaker side now than when we finished 6th and 4th as other sides have strengthened and gone past us, Forest being a prime example. The stink kicked up after their team of multi million pound stars beat us was pathetic, they'll be top 6 minimum.  

I think it's time fans realised this is a transitional season, we are blooding youngsters who will hopefully end up being first team fixtures by the end of the season, as well as waiting for a lot of the big earners who aren't contributing what we pay them to run their contracts down, giving us more mobility in the transfer market next season. 

Thoughts.

Edited by Not Jon Newsome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

After the predictable meltdown I'd just like to ask what fans are expecting from Jos Luhukay and this team, for me this team is a mid table side which should achieve a finish somewhere between 9th and 14th. Reasons being- 

1. Jos has had no money to spend over two transfer windows now, to address the glaring issues within the squad that were not addressed during the previous 3 seasons under different management. Because of this he has bravely turned to youth players and has helped bring through two of the best young talents we've had in a long time in Thorniley and Penney. 

2. Because of this lack of investment over the last 2 windows (Not the chairman's lack of wanting, I understand we have to adhere to rules) we have actually gone backwards. We are a weaker side now than when we finished 6th and 4th as other sides have strengthened and gone past us, Forest being a prime example. The stink kicked up after their team of multi million pound stars beat us was pathetic, they'll be top 6 minimum.  

I think it's time fans realised this is a transitional season, we are blooding youngsters who will hopefully end up being first team fixtures by the end of the season, as well as waiting for a lot of the big earners who aren't contributing what we pay them to run their contracts down, giving us more mobility in the transfer market next season. 

Thoughts.

I think that's the most accurate summary of the situation I've read in a while

Perfectly summed up

And it's basically what Jos and the Chairman have been trying to tell us over and over since the end of last season

There's never been any talk of promotion or trying to finish top 6

Good summary that mate - fully agree with every word of it

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thoughts.

You dont get it do you, we have to go up this season, even DC has come out and said we are fizzed if we dont go up.

We will not be building anything next season, the vultures will pick off our best players for pennies because we have no choice but to sell and we will be struggling to stay in this league.

6 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thoughts.

Whilst I agree with most of what you said above bud. 

For me we lacked the fundamentals of a team sport against forest. We were disjointed lacked cohesion and team interplay, more often than not when we did get our foot on the ball our passing was wayward and movement poor, too many were off the pace and just didn't get themselves into the game until it was too late. This isn't down to not being able to sign players, this is just basic stuff, we were simply sloppy and lacked teamwork and work rate. 

Just now, Blue and white said:

You dont get it do you, we have to go up this season, even DC has come out and said we are fizzed if we dont go up.

And that's where the chairman's in a sticky position

He could tell us that and let everyone freak out (we still dont' really know the situation in full) 

OR

He could continue to follow Jos in saying that we will simply try our best this season and see where we finish but there will be no talk of promotion

If he chooses the second option he gets attacked then for hiding the sheer size of the situation if we aren't promoted

I honestly don't know which I think I want out of those two (although we've got option 1 from Chansiri and option 2 from Jos so we've covered all bases I guess)

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you said above bud. 

For me we lacked the fundamentals of a team sport against forest. We were disjointed lacked cohesion and team interplay, more often than not when we did get our foot on the ball our passing was wayward and movement poor, too many were off the pace and just didn't get themselves into the game until it was too late. This isn't down to not being able to sign players, this is just basic stuff, we were simply sloppy and lacked teamwork and work rate. 

That comes from having youth players come through, a number of injuries (still), players coming back from injuries, all of which force an unsettled side

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And that's where the chairman's in a sticky position

He could tell us that and let everyone freak out (we still dont' really know the situation in full) 

OR

He could continue to follow Jos in saying that we will simply try our best this season and see where we finish but there will be no talk of promotion

If he chooses the second option he gets attacked then for hiding the sheer size of the situation if we aren't promoted

I honestly don't know which I think I want out of those two (although we've got option 1 from Chansiri and option 2 from Jos so we've covered all bases I guess)

Or he could lie to the fans, tell them to back him by purchasing the second most expensive season  tickets in the league and he will continue to back us with his investment, whilst all the time we are in a transfer embargo and there was never ever going to be investment in this team.

Edited by Blue and white

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That comes from having youth players come through, a number of injuries (still), players coming back from injuries, all of which force an unsettled side

We've had a pretty settled side last half dozen games or so, unless jos has rested someone. 

Maybe resting penney, Joey and palmer didn't help, but offencivly we've been pretty consistent, reach, joao, matias with either fletcher or Nuhiu up top centrally. 

26 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thoughts.

Forest don't have a team of stars - our squad is way better than theirs, and I would be surprised if they end up anywhere near the play-offs this season.

There are sides in this division, with squads way worse than ours, that will be hoping to gatecrash the play-offs - why are we settling for a season of transition?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thoughts.

My sentiments exactly.:luhukay:

5 minutes ago, The Captain said:

I don’t expect Wednesday to win all the time.  I do expect players to try and put the effort in.

The total lack of bottle and leadership in the Forest performance was the most concerning issue for me.

Yeah but tell me a season where that doesn't happen from time to time

There's no such thing

Every now and again you'll get a game that goes that way

But fans kicking off and screaming about it is no different to them starting to read a book and spitting the dummy out 8 pages into the story - nonsensical

Read the book not the page

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Bulgaria
25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Surely even youth players should know how to pass and move?

3 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

For me, and great summary from the op btw. I just want us to turn a performance in.

We aren't getting promotion, I can't see how. Ill happily take mid table.

I'm more interested in what comes next season and how we cope with it.

Agree and these young lads are only going to learn and develop, much prefer this route to chucking money at players who aren't going to improve. Seeing lads like Thorniley and Penney performing so well is far more satisfying. We just have to hope the majority of fans remain patient with them, I'm genuinely concerned with the amount of fans who expect us to get in the top 6 this season.

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Agree and these young lads are only going to learn and develop, much prefer this route to chucking money at players who aren't going to improve. Seeing lads like Thorniley and Penney performing so well is far more satisfying. We just have to hope the majority of fans remain patient with them, I'm genuinely concerned with the amount of fans who expect us to get in the top 6 this season.

I think they will, what's going to happen is most will turn on Jos, when it becomes apparent we aren't going anywhere near that top six place.

8 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thoughts.

I'd bet forest aren't in the top 6 come may. 10th maybe.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

same

And that's the chairmans fault in my book.

You don't talk about promotion, you just go and achieve it.

You tell "customers" that's the aim. It becomes expected. Now your not allowed to attempt to build that side. Your chuffed.

Edited by Maddogbob