Matt Exton’s Sheffield Wednesday film is an absolute triumph

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

On a related note..the friend I had who gave me the grammatical algorithm software.. also programmed a BBC computer. Acorn? to predict the horseracing.....not far off.

interesting  I always wanted a proper bbc 512k could never afford it 

+ i may have had a bet every year or so 

• Like 1

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Newcastle 7 (seven) Sheffield Wednesday......

oh god !  the scar still hurts 

further to the teleprinter not giving the result you had to wait for the greenun to turn to stop press to look at the late results 

...agonising 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

i suspect I'm one of the few on here who knows what that excitement was like waiting for   Sheff Wed ?

sometimes the only way you knew the score if you didn't go to away matches 

Mesmerising to watch as a child in B&W

League Division 4 Bradford Park Avenue v Workington Town Match Abandoned  "heavy smog".......

• Haha 2

That videprinter typing the scores out takes me right back. 

Reading it out as they typed it, shouting the actual score in a slightly higher volume. West Ham ‘ONE’. 

Wednesday always used to concede in the last minute. Typically to either Shrewsbury or Coventry, usually Speedie with the goal. 

Only time I can recall a typing incident was Aldershot (a) in the Cup. (eight). 

Kids these days have no idea. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If the BBC announced they were doing Final Score like that again, they’d get 10m viewers. What happened to the pools results at the end? That’s after waiting for the result from Dumbarton, who were always late. 

Used to rock up at Hillsborough and see the TV vans. ‘It’s on the box later’. Kin get in. Bet it’s not first match though. Always Everton. We will get 10 minutes at the end and they will flick to the top match on Division 1 (Championship to the kids). ‘Flick’? WTF did that come from? Straight to bed now lad, Big Match on tomorrow. Luton v Liverpool. Ricky Hill is a great player but Dalglish will ref the match with his fat harris. 

Didn’t they used to give a forecast for the jackpot after videprinter packed in (8 draws) like good/strong/flipping reight chance?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, vulva said:

That videprinter typing the scores out takes me right back. 

Reading it out as they typed it, shouting the actual score in a slightly higher volume. West Ham ‘ONE’. 

Wednesday always used to concede in the last minute. Typically to either Shrewsbury or Coventry, usually Speedie with the goal. 

Only time I can recall a typing incident was Aldershot (a) in the Cup. (eight). 

Kids these days have no idea. 

QPR at home was a 7 (seven) I think