The Midfield Battle

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The answer has been there all along

Obviously Lee is and has been out long term. But Reach can slot in there.

As Malek says above Kirby can provide similar cover for Hutchinson.

(and as an aside I thought playing three in there in the last half an hour versus Sunderland was one of the reasons Kirby came out with more credit that Hunt who had a very busy time in that 2 in the first half. But thats another story)

answer.png

Its fine in theory, but it’s an XI we need, So three in isolation can be very misleading.

If it’s in a 352, I assume you would put Reach as LWB. This means FF in a front two, and our goal-scoring dries up. In three seasons we average less than a goal per game set up like that!

or

433, in which case FF can play in one of his two most effective roles, wide of a three. Would you be happy with Reach at LB? I would. Not my first choice set up but bizarrely he is the best (least bad) LB we have, so it does “work”.

Ive ignored the other elephant in your room, which is that Hutch will break down much sooner if played in midfield.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Its fine in theory, but it’s an XI we need, So three in isolation can be very misleading.

If it’s in a 352, I assume you would put Reach as LWB. This means FF in a front two, and our goal-scoring dries up. In three seasons we average less than a goal per game set up like that!

In an eleven... what ever you do. You have to win the midfield in one way or another.

I don't think we have the physicality to dominate it in a two.

Just IMO.

Always the way I'd try and get out of this division.

image.thumb.png.6271787ff0281038cf6ceb3f624f825a.png

or

433, in which case FF can play in one of his two most effective roles, wide of a three. Would you be happy with Reach at LB? I would. Not my first choice set up but bizarrely he is the best (least bad) LB we have, so it does “work”.

Reach could play wing back.

But lets be honest, LB or LWB has been something we have been short of since year one. Pudil was ok, and got the permanent move. But even then I was slightly surprised.

Wiggins. Fox....

I'd be half tempted to give Penney a few games. He looks a confident boy.

Ive ignored the other elephant in your room, which is that Hutch will break down much sooner if played in midfield.

There are others who can slot in.

That's why I like the system.

One breaks down in comes his cover.

Hutch is out, Jones, Kirby, Pelupessy come in.

image.png.b013b20d9fa7b51a545c4fa039ec181a.png

I daresay I'd even use Palmer as a cover player in there if another crisis of injury descended.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

or

But you can’t plan , or not plan , on the basis of players that have been out for a long time and who knows whether we will see them again. Will Lee ever be the same player?

I have come the conclusion Hutch will breakdown wherever he plays, every time he jumps for a ball he limps on landing.

We can only pick what we have available.

Hutch Bannan Reach should be played as a midfield 3, Wednesday night if they are fit in front of a back 4.

Kirby and Pelupessy can provide cover for when Hutch is inevitably missing sometimes.

The massive advantage of 433 is that most clubs play it and therefore most players know how to play it. I would be surprised if Joey played anything else before he came here, and all of a sudden he has been swapping between 2 and 3 in there.

We are struggling player wise but Jos needs to pick a system that gives players a chance 

• Like 1

Pelupessy isn't up to it. But will continue to play because he's the only player Jos signed.

I'd go with David Jones. He's better than a lot of people make out. Put him next to Bannan. It worked a treat when we won 7 games on the bounce under CC to make the play offs. Hutch drops too deep when he's in midfield and is an injury/suspension waiting to happen.

Worth a try. 

If you aren't going to play Hutch in defence then Joey needs a rest and Hutch shifted as the CDM with Bannan and someone else in the middle of the park leaving 2 out wide, and 2 up front

Just try it and see how we get one, Thornily, Lees and Pudil at the back, Boyd and Baker or Palmer out wide, or Baker and Palmer either flank ..

christ bring back Lewis Buxton and stick him on left!

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

In an eleven... what ever you do. You have to win the midfield in one way or another.

I don't think we have the physicality to dominate it in a two.

Just IMO.

Always the way I'd try and get out of this division.

image.thumb.png.6271787ff0281038cf6ceb3f624f825a.png

Reach could play wing back.

But lets be honest, LB or LWB has been something we have been short of since year one. Pudil was ok, and got the permanent move. But even then I was slightly surprised.

Wiggins. Fox....

I'd be half tempted to give Penney a few games. He looks a confident boy.

There are others who can slot in.

That's why I like the system.

One breaks down in comes his cover.

Hutch is out, Jones, Kirby, Pelupessy come in.

image.png.b013b20d9fa7b51a545c4fa039ec181a.png

I daresay I'd even use Palmer as a cover player in there if another crisis of injury descended.

Just spotted the (lol)

Quality.

• Haha 1

There's enough to build a useful unit around.

It might be a championship unit and not much more.

But still a competitive unit and a foundation.

Though looking at this list.

How we spent the money we did and never addressed the back line.

Still/ We're here now/ Got to make the most of the players we've got.

433.png

• Like 2

One thing is for sure, Pelupessy isn’t the answer and never was. The midfield battle in Dutch football is a million miles away from the power, pace and standard of the Championship. The same is true for Van Aken in defence. You need people who get stuck in and aren’t all about finesse. People who get English football

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

our best midfielder is there under our nose, when he plays he plays 2 positions.

see 15/16 season. Hunt & Pudil bomb forward, Hutchinson slots into centre half. every 2nd ball, Hutchinson wins, 50 yard pass across the pitch, normally from Hutchinson,  he's the best ball winning midfielder I've seen us have in a very long time (I'm 50).

for me Hutch plays in front of that back 4 every game, just like he did 3 seasons ago.

this allows Bannan & Reach to push forward to link up with Fessi & co

Are you therefore suggesting Jos might drop Pelupessy???

1 hour ago, gypsyowl said:

He should do & he’s dropped everyone else who’s been poor since he come in, Jones, Palmer, Boyd, Loovens off top of me head 

Yes but you know how reluctant managers are to drop their own signings.

7 hours ago, Shifty Powers said:

Thought Preston played quite well when he came on.

It was such a nice change to see a midfielder run beyond the front pair and try something a bit different.

Just like Kieran Lee used to do.

He didn’t - not his fault but be realistic - he didn’t.

8 hours ago, York_Owl said:

One of the key aspects to winning a game of football is to win the midfield battle. We are crying out for a Carlton Palmer type midfielder (and have been for years) to play alongside Bannan so we can actually get a grip of the game in midfield. 

Hutch played so deep yesterday I couldn’t even distinguish whether he was playing as a third centre back or a defensive midfielder. The big disappointment was pelupessy the game seemed to just pass him by without him being able to exert any influence on the game which is crucial as a midfielder.

I really hope this is one of the areas that Jos addresses in this loan window.

We've been crying out for a replacement for Carlton Palmer since Carlton Palmer left, the first time around. 

You would have thought a no nonsense athletic box to box midfielder wouldn't be the most difficult thing to find in football, but clearly they are like gold dust, or maybe our scouting network is sh*te

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's enough to build a useful unit around.

It might be a championship unit and not much more.

But still a competitive unit and a foundation.

Though looking at this list.

How we spent the money we did and never addressed the back line.

Still/ We're here now/ Got to make the most of the players we've got.

433.png

We need to go out and buy at least two right backs. An outrageously unbalanced squad.