The Midfield Battle

One of the key aspects to winning a game of football is to win the midfield battle. We are crying out for a Carlton Palmer type midfielder (and have been for years) to play alongside Bannan so we can actually get a grip of the game in midfield. 

Hutch played so deep yesterday I couldn’t even distinguish whether he was playing as a third centre back or a defensive midfielder. The big disappointment was pelupessy the game seemed to just pass him by without him being able to exert any influence on the game which is crucial as a midfielder.

I really hope this is one of the areas that Jos addresses in this loan window.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

One of the key aspects to winning a game of football is to win the midfield battle. We are crying out for a Carlton Palmer type midfielder (and have been for years) to play alongside Bannan so we can actually get a grip of the game in midfield. 

Hutch played so deep yesterday I couldn’t even distinguish whether he was playing as a third centre back or a defensive midfielder. The big disappointment was pelupessy the game seemed to just pass him by without him being able to exert any influence on the game which is crucial as a midfielder.

I really hope this is one of the areas that Jos addresses in this loan window.

Pelupessy's ready for the Millwall challenge:

See the source image

our best midfielder is there under our nose, when he plays he plays 2 positions.

see 15/16 season. Hunt & Pudil bomb forward, Hutchinson slots into centre half. every 2nd ball, Hutchinson wins, 50 yard pass across the pitch, normally from Hutchinson,  he's the best ball winning midfielder I've seen us have in a very long time (I'm 50).

for me Hutch plays in front of that back 4 every game, just like he did 3 seasons ago.

this allows Bannan & Reach to push forward to link up with Fessi & co

1 minute ago, gypsyowl said:

our best midfielder is there under our nose, when he plays he plays 2 positions.

see 15/16 season. Hunt & Pudil bomb forward, Hutchinson slots into centre half. every 2nd ball, Hutchinson wins, 50 yard pass across the pitch, normally from Hutchinson,  he's the best ball winning midfielder I've seen us have in a very long time (I'm 50).

for me Hutch plays in front of that back 4 every game, just like he did 3 seasons ago.

this allows Bannan & Reach to push forward to link up with Fessi & co

I agree with this Hutch as the midfield “general” with Bannan and Reach alongside him. I’d rotate him with Connor Kirby so that we try and protect him from getting injured due to playing too many games.

7 minutes ago, Watson said:

If you're pinning your hopes on any signings your gonna be very disappointed.

We go with the players we have.

Really hoping we can bring in a player or two on loan but am prepared for disappointment (it’s the Wednesday way).

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

Was thinking exactly the same  @FreshOwl Jones is a much better footballer than Pelupessy. 

I’d hold onto Jones believe it or not as he may be a key player once were involved in a relegation battle. Will be a good anchor to have who can intercept and steady the play 

Last time I saw Jones play, he gave the ball away several times on the trot. Play kept breaking down when he got the ball.

This is a player who came to us with a great reputation for being a good passer.

He was a good player who seems to have lost form since joining us, a familiar story. Just what do we do with players when they join us?

The answer has been there all along

Obviously Lee is and has been out long term. But Reach can slot in there.

As Malek says above Kirby can provide similar cover for Hutchinson.

(and as an aside I thought playing three in there in the last half an hour versus Sunderland was one of the reasons Kirby came out with more credit that Hunt who had a very busy time in that 2 in the first half. But thats another story)

answer.png