Sheffield Star

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.57.45.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.57.53.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.57.58.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.58.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.58.11.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 14.58.16.jpg

Of course sharing these doesn't fit the current agenda of 'find something that we can twist to make it look like the media is against us' so you never see these ones.

I basically went down all the recent Star articles released about Sheffield Wednesday and these were them.

Bit awkward this really innit for those saying the Star is anti-SWFC?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Of course sharing these doesn't fit the current agenda of 'find something that we can twist to make it look like the media is against us' so you never see these ones.

I basically went down all the recent Star articles released about Sheffield Wednesday and these were them.

Those examples are interwiews with actual real people aren't they though.

It's harder to start replacing words with ones which mean the same , but in a different way.

Like I said though. I'm sure it's just some in-joke to amuse themselves.

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is people haven't come to their own realisation that all of a sudden the entire media system is against Sheffield Wednesday

Someone started that, it's flowed through countless posts, tweets and chats down the pub and now it appears to be total fact

This one however is just incredible. Joao trains all week with the squad, then apparently gets a groin injury and so goes to Jos and says he can't play the next day. He's not named in the squad for the match and people go ballistic over it

The star then run with "Joao cried off on the eve of the match having trained all week" and people start going ballistic over that too 

It's totally mental and like I say it's not that everyone's made their own minds up having read the Star or listened to Rob Staton and Andy Giddings - they've just been fed a line and it's stuck in their heads so they twist everything that comes out of the media into something it's not in order to impress everyone else

Utterly utterly mentalist

The people saying we are influenced by how the press portray things (which to be fair is true), are now been influenced by fans on this forum and social media, making assumptions and spouting rubbish, then they jump onto the band wagon of whats someone may have said / made up / guessed at and spread spread the rubbish!

Having said that "cried off" is undoubtedly a badly chosen phrase to use as it suggests that it was some kind of excuse not to play - and that may have been used to create a little media hype.

If the Local Media haven’t got an issue where Wednesday are concerned why we are constantly fed negativity akin to Eeyore’s gloomy place from RS, The Sheffield Star, etc. and then you look across the City at the treatment the Other Side get and you’re treated to a rendition of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows everywhere? Anyone who can’t see the obvious difference in local media coverage has got their head in the sand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If the Local Media haven’t got an issue where Wednesday are concerned why we are constantly fed negativity akin to Eeyore’s gloomy place from RS, The Sheffield Star, etc. and then you look across the City at the treatment the Other Side get and you’re treated to a rendition of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows everywhere? Anyone who can’t see the obvious difference in local media coverage has got their head in the sand.

Did you not just see all those articles I posted above?

I didn't' just sit photoshopping them you know mate

What's happened is everyone's been told the media is against us and so believe media is against us when the media isn't against us

It's like Brexit all over again

Owlstalk Shop

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

There are a few factors at play here so I'll go through some of them:

To "cry off" implies unreliability, letting someone or people down, not being committed etc and in the context of this article is used a) to create a reaction (and has worked) in line with what we see in social media and on here.  These reactions are generally flame fanning and the majority are responses of fear anger because these emotions sell and work the best.

There is also, I think, a bit of a dig at the club with regards to communication i.e. if you don't give us the facts (first) then you lose control of the headline/story which then forces us to join in with everyone else in terms of how the story develops.  The Star too is a business and needs readers/viewers to generate income.

As was touched on in the recent Radio Sheffield shizzle, there are still some, not many but reasonable numbers who still actually buy newspapers, who rely solely for their information on the "traditional" media and they are being badly let down by what they are paying for now.

The club has a problem regarding its communications and has for a while.  I've been having a little look over the past weeks when something pricked my ears up and drew my attention more to the fact.

We employ communications people for both media and fans, father and son actually, but it seems we have chosen to cut out their traditional roles and "go direct" with mixed results.

My verdict is this.  The local do currently have a touch of negative bias towards the club, they probably from their position have a bit of reason for doing so, if we do/have cut them out as a middleman in our PR then we must do much better and expand the lines we have chosen to communicate in/with instead.

1 minute ago, sw1867 said:

I know several blades that won’t buy the star due to the bias they show Wednesday and also think the same about radio Sheffield.

There is no bias either way, they are both just sh*t at times.

EXACTLY

We used to laugh at United fans for how they cried over local media and last season saw the birth of the 'everyone's against us' mindframe when we were doing incredibly badly

Owlstalk Shop

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is people haven't come to their own realisation that all of a sudden the entire media system is against Sheffield Wednesday

Someone started that, it's flowed through countless posts, tweets and chats down the pub and now it appears to be total fact

This one however is just incredible. Joao trains all week with the squad, then apparently gets a groin injury and so goes to Jos and says he can't play the next day. He's not named in the squad for the match and people go ballistic over it

The star then run with "Joao cried off on the eve of the match having trained all week" and people start going ballistic over that too 

It's totally mental and like I say it's not that everyone's made their own minds up having read the Star or listened to Rob Staton and Andy Giddings - they've just been fed a line and it's stuck in their heads so they twist everything that comes out of the media into something it's not in order to impress everyone else

Utterly utterly mentalist

Whose going ballistic over it? The op mentioned it wasn’t the right term and if anyone’s gone ballistic since then,  it’s been you lol 

Edited by FreshOwl

Just now, FreshOwl said:

Whose going ballistic over it? The op mentioned it wasn’t the right term and if anyone’s gone ballistic since then,  it’s been you lol 

Nahhhhh not having that

People freak out over the Star, Radio Sheffield, Jon Newsome, Alan Biggs, Rob Staton, Andy Giddings, and anyone else they can freak out at.

It's happened all last season once the absolute madness started behind the scenes at SWFC resulting in bad results, Hirst, Clare etc etc and it's continuing this season

It's mentalist

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Hitcat said:

Don't like it, don't read it. Simple.

100%

And don't share it, point to it saying 'look how much everyone hates us' 

I've just posted a shedload of articles that aren't against us from the most recent Star articles and look - not a single person even acknowledging that I posted them

Perfectly illustrating my point

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Nahhhhh not having that

People freak out over the Star, Radio Sheffield, Jon Newsome, Alan Biggs, Rob Staton, Andy Giddings, and anyone else they can freak out at.

It's happened all last season once the absolute madness started behind the scenes at SWFC resulting in bad results, Hirst, Clare etc etc and it's continuing this season

It's mentalist

I guarantee once the players step out at 3pm no one in the entire ground is thinking about any of that, so it can’t be to blame for results. There’s debate at every club 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

100%

I've just posted a shedload of articles that aren't against us from the most recent Star articles and look - not a single person even acknowledging that I posted them

No it doesn't and you know it as has already been pointed out.

What does "cry off" mean to you and if indeed Joao did "cry off" would he have attended the match at all to cheer on his teamates?

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

No it doesn't and you know it as has already been pointed out.

What does "cry off" mean to you and if indeed Joao did "cry off" would he have attended the match at all to cheer on his teamates?

The real crying here is by our fans crying over nowt and totally ignoring every other article I've posted in this thread and pretending I haven't done so.

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I guarantee once the players step out at 3pm no one in the entire ground is thinking about any of that, so it can’t be to blame for results. There’s debate at every club 

There is

But I can guarantee there's not this mad media blaming and crying that the media is against their club like there is at our place currently

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

Exactly.  You could also look at it from the complete opposite viewpoint. The fact they used "cried off" could also mean they're just as frustrated as the rest of us....