Sheffield Star

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFS

How much longer are Wednesday fans gonna cry victim to any media outlet?

What should the Star have said instead?

Forever Neil, the media holds a big sway over peoples’ opinions. Most people don’t realise why they’re being told stuff. It’s a very powerful tool if you don’t cotton on. Even someone as experienced as me has to check themselves occasionally 

• Haha 2

Just now, marcx666 said:

So you think that "Joao cried off on the eve of the match having trained all week" was the best choice of phrase and words for an article?

Well given that...
Joao cried off on the eve of the match
He'd trained all week

I'd say that is pretty damn accurate YES

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What should the Star have said instead?

Well. A few things really.

• Portuguese International, Joao, who had to drop out of the plans because of an injury...

or

• Devastated Joao, 24, who had hoped to replace the injured Adhte Nuhiu had to drop out of the squad...

or

• Joao, who left it as long as possible before breaking the bad news...

or

• Joao, was given no choice but to drop out of the squad.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well given that...
Joao cried off on the eve of the match
He'd trained all week

I'd say that is pretty damn accurate YES

Fair enough mate, honestly, I think it could have been phrased better from a journalist, seems like something a 8 year old would write in an English papers, or you'd say to your mates, or on here, or somone would say in The Sun lol

Just now, pgmetcalf said:

Forever Neil, the media holds a big sway over peoples’ opinions. Most people don’t realise why they’re being told stuff. It’s a very powerful tool if you don’t cotton on. Even someone as experienced as me has to check themselves occasionally 

Thing is people haven't come to their own realisation that all of a sudden the entire media system is against Sheffield Wednesday

Someone started that, it's flowed through countless posts, tweets and chats down the pub and now it appears to be total fact

This one however is just incredible. Joao trains all week with the squad, then apparently gets a groin injury and so goes to Jos and says he can't play the next day. He's not named in the squad for the match and people go ballistic over it

The star then run with "Joao cried off on the eve of the match having trained all week" and people start going ballistic over that too 

It's totally mental and like I say it's not that everyone's made their own minds up having read the Star or listened to Rob Staton and Andy Giddings - they've just been fed a line and it's stuck in their heads so they twist everything that comes out of the media into something it's not in order to impress everyone else

Utterly utterly mentalist

Owlstalk Shop

Guest addedtime
1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

• Portuguese International, Joao, who had to drop out of the plans because of an injury...

or

• Devastated Joao, 24, who had hoped to replace the injured Adhte Nuhiu had to drop out of the squad...

or

or

Not what's said, it's how and when they say it

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

or

or

or

Nuhiu was injured??

FFS. As well as being suspended??

WHAT ARE OUR PLAYERS MADE OF?

Just now, addedtime said:

Not what's said, it's how and when they say it

I'm not sure any anti Wednesday bias.

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the local journos have a sweep to see who can get the most mentions on here over a season.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the local journos have a sweep to see who can get the most mentions on here over a season.

Exactly, I don't think there is much bias, but that was a poorly thought out sentence from somewhat one is paid money to write articles. Might as well give the kids at a local school money to write the articles

Edited by marcx666

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Exactly

If they're gonna do anything it's wind up the crybabies who constantly roar their eyes out about how all the media is out to get us (whilst we're under embargo, can't renew our own players contracts, have taken 1 point out of the first two games, have major players out injured, have sidelined our former number one goalkeeper, are losing money on a weekly basis etc etc etc etc)

WHY CAN'T THE PRESS JUST WRITE LOADS OF POSITIVE HAPPY STUFF ABOUT US??

I thought we'd have all moved past the media blaming from last season. Seems like we're doomed to be the crybabies that we once called Sheffield United fans for doing the exact same thing

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Nuhiu was injured??

FFS. As well as being suspended??

WHAT ARE OUR PLAYERS MADE OF?

Ooops!

It's almost  like the odd misplaced word can create a story that doesn't exist isn't it.

Who'd have thought it...

giphy.gif