• Atdhe Nuhiu
    • Lucas Joao
    • Steven Fletcher
    • Sam Winnall
    • Marco Matias
    • Adam Reach

Guest Bulgaria
13 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:
  • Who will be our top scorer this coming season?

• And do we have anyone among our ranks capable of finishing as the divisions top marksman? 

Here are some of the previous winners

2018-07-31 22.01.12.png

Looking at that list, I am struggling to find any that have scored goals regularly  at a higher level.

Glen Murray maybe?

Can remember as a kid when Hirsty was scoring for fun in that promotion season. It's a special buzz when you get a 25+, 30 goal a season striker you can watch week in week out. We're overdue that buzz!

11 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Looking at that list, I am struggling to find any that have scored goals regularly  at a higher level.

Glen Murray maybe?

It's that final step up isn't it.  A step too far for some, if not most.

Why the fuss about top scorer?

In the world cup recently, at the semi-final stage, England's harry Kane led the list, albeit the majority penalties. Croatia had scored more goals than we had, and by TEN different players.

To have one major scorer leads to him being targeted by defenders, whilst, in Croatia's case, with the correct players , defenders do not know where to defend.

Let's have 4-5 regular scorers, all contributing in double figures, with mid-field and defence chipping in..

12 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

That's a good point . Do they go down separately?

Never really thought about it properly 

They don't count as "League" games so McLean ended on 19.

Also as they don't count as league games, Huddersfield were able to laughably claim 40 odd games unbeaten in the league in a row despite losing a playoff final in the middle of that. 

27 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

No Rhodes, thought he was championships best ever striker?

Written in the Stars he will finish the league's leading scorer this season!

Actually I wouldn't complain, think of the money we'd get for him!

On 31/07/2018 at 23:21, Lord Snooty said:

11 goals in 15 starts last season..

2018-07-31 22.20.57.jpg

On 01/08/2018 at 00:17, pazowl55 said:

Nuhiu in with a shout if we play with a 3-4-3 formation most of the season.  We create a lot of chances playing that way and Nuhiu has shown the the last 10 games he has a knack of getting on the end of things.

Yes Nuhiu has performed poorly last two friendlys buts that's with 3-5-2 where chances are at a premium.

I agree. Nuhiu would be my guess.

Hard to know who Jos will favour, but I think he will realise very quickly that 343 is better for his squad than 352, which means Nuhiu should get lots of game time, alternating with Fletcher.

We now know Atdhe can score very freely in this set-up. Likely to be our penalty taker too.

I still expect them to be shared out though, as Jos will rotate to keep players fit and healthier than before.

It’s a good subject this. I remember MacLean and Mellor scoring 20 goals or so at League 1 level. Madine came close in the Mind the Gap season also at League 1 level with 18.

At Championship level since the Promotion Season in 1990/91 (Old Division 2) we haven’t had anyone hit 20 plus since Hirsty who may have got 32 goals that season?

I think the most anyone’s scored for us at this level is Forrestieri with 15 in the Play-Off final season though Tudgay had one or two decent seasons.

It was a shame Hooper got injured last season when he did as he was on course for 20 and unfortunately injury wil probably cost him a chance of hitting 20 this? If Forrestieri can keep his scoring rate at the end of last season going then he’s got a chance of hitting 20 but once again it depends on availability.

Scoring rates of last season will obviously point to Nuhiu having a chance of hitting the 20 goal mark but I think last season was more down to him playing regularly and playing for a new contract IMO. I don’t think either will apply as much this time around and I think around 10 goals would be around par for him.

In summary I expect it to be another season where 13-15 goals gets you Top Scorer here again?