Fraser Preston & Alex Hunt

9 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Got to agree it's down to them to assess the timing re introducing youngsters into the squad. It is refreshing to see that so many have been included in first team training, which will undoubtedly increase their confidence and encourage them to push on. Under the previous regime I just don't think this would have happened. 

Club have had no choice I'm afraid 

Guest Grez Bez
7 hours ago, malek said:

Hunt is a nippy midfielder who moves well around the field, works hard and wants to get on the ball all the time. His technique and passing skills are quite good (or at least it looked like that at U-18's level). You wouldn't think looking at him, but he packs powerful shot as well. scored couple of gorgeous free-kicks last season.

Baker started out as CB, but we also used him as defensive midfielder, before he made right back position his own last season. Although he posses decent first touch, he will always be better defender then provider down that right side. Much more suited for RB, then RWB role in my opinion.

Thanks @malek

How many times do you see the U23's? Any stand out players that could make an impact this season or next?

9 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Thanks @malek

How many times do you see the U23's? Any stand out players that could make an impact this season or next?

I'm afraid that only Penney is ready to step up and make place in our starting 11 his own if given chance and with a bit of luck.

There are few who could prove as good squad players and decent back ups to our more established players, though.

20 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Fraser was a very promising young player close to first team breakthrough before getting injured. It seems he may be getting back to where he was.

Heard lots high praise for Alex Hunt but I get the impression that though very skilful he is young and quite small. I may be wrong.

on.  

Any road, Jos will know how suited for first team football they are and won't be afraid of blooding them when the time is right.

Preston wasn't injured at all last season.  Played every game for U23s.  Warren Clarke did his ACL and missed the last three/four months.

3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Preston wasn't injured at all last season.  Played every game for U23s.  Warren Clarke did his ACL and missed the last three/four months.

Might be thinking of Lonchar. He doesn't seem to have recaptured his pre injury form yet. He looked really outstanding 12mths ago. Hope he gets it back.

16 hours ago, abdiwonderland said:

Sounds like we might have a good player on our hands. Sorry for all the questions, but do you feel he's ready for the first team? Just wondering why he didn't get a look in last season.

He only started one game for the U23's all season.  I think they have been holding him back because of his physicality whereas a big lad like Borukov was a regular for the U23's

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfoster said:

Might be thinking of Lonchar. He doesn't seem to have recaptured his pre injury form yet. He looked really outstanding 12mths ago. Hope he gets it back.

Yes i forgot about Lonchar. Had a great first year but struggled to get going last season after getting injured early on

14 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Any idea what became of Marcello Benedetti?

Italian teenager who featured (and scored twice) for the U18s last preseason

Then scored in three consecutive games for the U18s in PDL2 and also made 2apps off the bench for the U23s

The last of those in mid-September (v Palace)

Thought we might've had a real hot prospect there but he seems to have disappeared altogether  :sad:

1 hour ago, malek said:

I'm afraid that only Penney is ready to step up and make place in our starting 11 his own if given chance and with a bit of luck.

There are few who could prove as good squad players and decent back ups to our more established players, though.

Doesn’t look like the manager agrees with that 

1 minute ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Any idea what became of Marcello Benedetti?

Italian teenager who featured (and scored twice) for the U18s last preseason

Then scored in three consecutive games for the U18s in PDL2 and also made 2apps off the bench for the U23s

The last of those in mid-September (v Palace)

Thought we might've had a real hot prospect there but he seems to have disappeared altogether  :sad:

I don't know to be honest.  I presumed he had a long term injury but then noticed he had been taken off the Academy profiles page with the other departures.Googled but he wasn't in a match report or something playing for someone else.  I even went on the FA website here each month they show all the transfers in the country and also any acholars that have left their clubs and nothing there either!  We had one the season before, an Irish kid called Luke Ferguson who signed as a scholar and never played and has disappeared.  Sometimes the scholars can't settle away from home especially now when there are less local players.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I wondered if someone would spot that. I momentarily confused him with Jack Stobbs whose development was interrupted by a long injury a year or two back. Stobbs is now back where he was before he was injured.

13 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

The way our young players will develop ,Encourage them ,Give them confidence ,And do not get on their backs if they make a mistake ,We have some real talent coming through ,Enjoy watching their development .

Appear to have another name to keep a close eye on:  Liam Shaw

'Attacking midfielder' who, aged 16, started last season like a house on fire, scoring 10 goals for the U18s and 1 goal in 8apps from the bench for the U23s

He then picked up an injury and missed the second half of the season but he's back now

Still only 17, he's scored in each of the U18s games over in Portugal - as I said, definitely one to watch out for  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Appear to have another name to keep a close eye on:  Liam Shaw

'Attacking midfielder' who, aged 16, started last season like a house on fire, scoring 10 goals for the U18s and 1 goal in 8apps from the bench for the U23s

He then picked up an injury and missed the second half of the season but he's back now

Still only 17, he's scored in each of the U18s games over in Portugal - as I said, definitely one to watch out for  :rolleyes:

And he is a midfielder, not striker as some would guess looking at his scoring record.

1 hour ago, offalyowl said:

It's great that we have plenty of young lads coming on and hopefully they do make the step up, anyone know anything about a young Brennan lad playing for the u18s 

https://www.swfc.co.uk/teams/u23-team/defender/ciaran-brennan/

Last year's U18 skipper who's just signed a 2yr deal

He's eighteen now so he'll need to show his early promise in the U23s this season

18 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/teams/u23-team/defender/ciaran-brennan/

Last year's U18 skipper who's just signed a 2yr deal

He's eighteen now so he'll need to show his early promise in the U23s this season

Thanks Ethel, I'm Irish and over here I can't get to see the youth teams but have heard a lot about him and heard he could be a good one so your input on the him means a lot as I have no other way of knowing 

• Like 1