Fraser Preston & Alex Hunt

Are these two players good enough for places in our first team matchday squads this season? Would love for a couple of academy graduates to come through and be worth a bob or two in the coming years. 

Fraser was a very promising young player close to first team breakthrough before getting injured. It seems he may be getting back to where he was.

Heard lots high praise for Alex Hunt but I get the impression that though very skilful he is young and quite small. I may be wrong.

Any road, Jos will know how suited for first team football they are and won't be afraid of blooding them when the time is right.

You

Just now, torres said:

Chuck them in for me.

Lets find out, we'll never know unless we give them the opportunities 

I agree, you never know if they'll surprise you. Clare for example was far better than Butterfield.

Let's face it, this time last year United were on the verge of sending Brooks to Chesterfield on loan. Wilder blocked the move, played him and the club end up getting 12 million for him. 

1 minute ago, torres said:

Chuck them in for me.

You rate them both, then? I've hardly seen anything of either of them, so couldn't really comment.

What are their respective strengths, and how would you see them slotting into our first team setup?

The step up from academy football to first team Championship football is huge, but it's good to hear that you've clearly seen some promise in these youngsters to feel so confident about them.

I suppose it remains to be seen whether the coaches who work with them day in day out share your confidence.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You rate them both, then? I've hardly seen anything of either of them, so couldn't really comment.

What are their respective strengths, and how would you see them slotting into our first team setup?

The step up from academy football to first team Championship football is huge, but it's good to hear that you've clearly seen some promise in these youngsters to feel so confident about them.

I suppose it remains to be seen whether the coaches who work with them day in day out share your confidence.

Got to agree it's down to them to assess the timing re introducing youngsters into the squad. It is refreshing to see that so many have been included in first team training, which will undoubtedly increase their confidence and encourage them to push on. Under the previous regime I just don't think this would have happened. 

Both Alex Hunt and Fraser Preston were on show at Lincoln on Friday and to my mind both acquitted themselves very well. Hunt is quite small, I reckon but worked hard. Preston was probably the better of the two and caused the opposition some problems with quick passing and hard running.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, torres said:

Chuck them in for me.

Where would you play them and who would you leave out?

Alex Hunt at Lincoln looked like an experienced pro. He always found space and his ability was clear to see.

Best youth player I have seen in years. I am so pleased we have him signed until 2020. I am, convinced he

will be considered for the first team sooner rather than later

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Personally I think only Baker and Thorniley will play more than 5 league games for us from the academy this season.

Having said that these two would be next on my list to step up. 

I reckon Preston , Baker , Hunt , Borukov and maybe even Neilson will all play more than 5 games this season 

Hunt looked really good...always in space and always wanted the ball. He did look a little on the small side but I suppose if you look at recent top midfielders Coutinho, Scholes, Modric etc... they areonly 5ft 7 / 5ft 8. It comes down to ability and if you are good enough then you are good enough end of.

Preston in the second half looked really god as well...he looked strong, quick and direct.

Both worth some more game time IMO.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I reckon Preston , Baker , Hunt , Borukov and maybe even Neilson will all play more than 5 games this season 

Depends who we shift and who we bring in. if Jos has been told look you have to rely on the academy this season as we won't be buying anyone then they will probably all play more that that. But if not then I will be very surprised if Borukov plays 5 games ahead of all of our 7 other senior strikers.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Depends who we shift and who we bring in. if Jos has been told look you have to rely on the academy this season as we won't be buying anyone then they will probably all play more that that. But if not then I will be very surprised if Borukov plays 5 games ahead of all of our 7 other senior strikers.

1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

What about bol0ckov?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

Alex Hunt at Lincoln looked like an experienced pro. He always found space and his ability was clear to see.

Best youth player I have seen in years. I am so pleased we have him signed until 2020. I am, convinced he

will be considered for the first team sooner rather than later

I’ve never seen him play so can’t comment myself but I was listening to an interview the the other day (can’t renemebr who with) and they said that Jos rates Hunt really highly.

Edited by northeastowl