BREAKING - George Hirst Gone

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Then you have to look at the chairman and question why he allowed this to all play out the way it has

But as has been said on here. the Hirst's had a move away in mind 2 years ago. Even if the Chairman had played happy families with them it looked like his future would have been away from Hillsborough. 

And, as you have just quoted, sadly bending the rules like this is something many PL clubs are capable of so what could the Chairman have done to prevent this?

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pretty much every big team in the country has some links with a foreign side, some even owning them.

Chelsea are very friendly with Vitesse Arnhem and Manchester United are the same with Royal Antwerp. If they sense they can get away with this sort of move, they will start doing it as well.

And that leaves small clubs in such a big problem. Even teams with small budgets invest in their academies because one starlet can end up funding the team for years to come.

And compensation fees for those aged under 24 are a huge protection. This stops players having all the power and forcing moves for minimal fees to big clubs when they come calling.

But if there is a loophole like this, it will be abused. Expect Grimsby Town’s new star youngster not to head to the Manchester City academy but to Girona in Spain for a while. And then the move to the big side will happen later. It’s a rule already abused by these sides to bring in top youngsters from other countries but now that’s obvious they can use it to bring in English youngsters it’s going to be a field day for them.

http://the72.co.uk/106571/opinion-george-hirsts-departure-sheffield-wednesday-become-devastating-precedents-football/

37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Depends how you look at it

Within 9 months George could have had a great experience in Belgium, a life changing time abroad, before moving to Leicester City on megabucks

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 11.30.00.jpg

@Hudson / @Lichfield alien

How can you downvote me on this one for just saying what could be the truth of the situation?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, The Italian Stallion said:

Sadly I agree. Let's hope he has learned the lesson now, and Let Katrien do her job.

That's the thing

From what I've seen of Katrien and Jos during their time with us - if they'd both been running the show instead of Mr Chansiri and Carlos at the time then George wouldn't just be at the club but would have played a part last season too I'm sure

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

That's the thing

From what I've seen of Katrien and Jos during their time with us - if they'd both been running the show instead of Mr Chansiri and Carlos at the time then George wouldn't just be at the club but would have played a part last season too I'm sure

Now you've done it Neil... that won't please some... 

2 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

So much baseless speculation being used to attack the Hirsts

Not just in this post but throughout the whole thread.

Throughout the whole saga the Hirsts have remained completely silent, even when David's reputation has been dragged through the mud

So much vitriol from Owls fans with very short memories

What a very sad reflection on our fans

The LAST thing that this mess is..is a sad reflection on our fans.

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Then you have to ask why the chairman allowed it to happen

Allowed?

What was he to do?

Tie the lad to a chair and force him to sign the most lucrative youth contract in the clubs history?

Was he to kidnap the player, lock him a room and ban him from talking to his advisors and insist he sign up to be represented by the LMA?

Or seeing as so many people have told us "it wasnt about the money" perhaps when you say 'allowed'  you mean he should perhaps have overuled the first team manager and insisted the lad started in the first team?

That wouldn't have caused any problems I'm sure. 

Or perhaps he should have overuled the first team manager, forced him to pick the player AND given in to agent demands and given them exactly what they asked for- the same (and in some cases better money) than established first team players and caused a domino effect of agents knocking on the door asking for parity or pay rises for their own charges.

Or when you say "allowed" do you just mean he should have let a young player who's representives had already tapped a move to Leicester and made quite clear wouldn't be signing a contract with Wednesday under any circumstances to carry on playing in amd training with a team he had no intention of staying with at the expense of young players who had committed themselves to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club.

How do you suggest he didn't 'allow' this to happen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

7 minutes ago, The Italian Stallion said:

They might see it that way, but by hitting the chairman, they hit the club and the fans......and that's one of the problems I have with all of this. I'm not going to spew vitriol, but this hurts.

It all seemed to degenerate when Wednesday turned down that offer from a Premier League club, it looks like the pound signs lit up in GH's advisers eyes, and that's when they started looking for ridiculous money for an unproven talent at Championship level.

I think this is where DC made a mistake, I honestly think when it became obvious that GH wasn't going to sign a new contract, they should have let him go, but it became *** for tat, GH wouldn't sign, Wednesday froze him out of teams etc. and the rest is history. It became personal,  in other words.

Very sad, and it's tarnished the Hirst's name (and Pearson) for a lot of the fans, and Mr. C. needs to learn fast how to deal with players. Hopefully he's learned his lesson now, so we can all move on from this sad episode.

Greta post. Mistakes have been made on both sides. The chariman has since brought someone in to deal with matters like this, unfortunately in this case the damage was already done. The Hirst's I am sure still had options open that would have been as good in terms of career development for them but chose the one which hit the Chairman - and as such the club and everyone connected with it the hardest. Doesn't reflect well on anyone involved.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the thing

Agreed. 

And things would be very different. 

This is not just a story about evil agents. 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Now you've done it Neil... that won't please some... 

True tho - The situation would have been totally different had Jos and Katrien been here at the time

(and we'd probably have been promoted too)

(we'd at least have had a shot on goal in November)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, ChinaOwl said:

So why didn't Jos and Katrien do more to turn the situation around? They had a six month or so window to do so?

Or was the matter so irretrievable when they arrived, that nothing could have changed the situation?

Yeah I think that's the case to be fair

I'm 100% certain it wouldn't have even been a thing had they been here at the start of this mess

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the thing

Exactly. Nail on head.

Even if GH had been moved on, then the club would have got some money for him, and there wouldn't be this huge feeling of resentment towards the Hirsts.

At the risk of repeating myself by getting at the chairman, they've done all of us really, and I'll find it hard to forgive them for that, even though, they probably didn't mean to hurt the fans.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

So why didn't Jos and Katrien do more to turn the situation around? They had a six month or so window to do so?

Or was the matter so irretrievable when they arrived, that nothing could have changed the situation?

I think it doesn't take a genius to work that one out. 

There was still at least one individual high up at Wednesday that stayed during that period. Further, I think the damage was done a while ago... probably more than two years ago. No-one knows the facts, but one would imagine that there has been a slow deterioration over the last few years, if DH was saying two years ago that his son wouldn't be staying. Irretrievable has to undoubtedly be the word

2 hours ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

So much baseless speculation being used to attack the Hirsts

Not just in this post but throughout the whole thread.

Throughout the whole saga the Hirsts have remained completely silent, even when David's reputation has been dragged through the mud

So much vitriol from Owls fans with very short memories

What a very sad reflection on our fans

What an unsurprisingly pompous post!

Buxton - a long time poster stated that the intention 2 years ago was never to sign for us. Another poster backed this up. He has no history of telling lies and making 'ITK' stuff up on here. If we can't take what he said with any sort of credibility why should we ever do the same with anything you come out with?

The fans have been critical on both sides of this saga, don't see why the Hirst's should be exempt from this. Why are they above criticism? You have been critical of the club plenty of times without knowing 100% the full facts.

Just now, The Italian Stallion said:

At the risk of repeating myself by getting at the chairman, they've done all of us really, and I'll find it hard to forgive them for that, even though, they probably didn't mean to hurt the fans.

They've not hurt me

Because I can see it for what it is 

There's zero reason for our fans to be disgruntled.

We have to trust the chairman that playing it his way and getting no compensation was the right thing to do in the circumstances

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Ash76
19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

See - to me slating David Hirst is as petty as it is unjustified

Especially as nobody even knows if he's had anything to do with anything ever to do with this deal.

Calling David Hirst names... really??

Yes, act the cheeky monkey and don’t be surprised to be labelled a cheeky monkey 

It’s fair to say, based on what we know, that he’s played a bigger role than anybody in how this has played out. 

Anyway, more important things today. England 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True tho - The situation would have been totally different had Jos and Katrien been here at the time

(and we'd probably have been promoted too)

(we'd at least have had a shot on goal in November)

well i'll go along with the 'november shot'.