Wednesday in debt

Guest mkowl

The Glaziers had mountains of debt in the form of negative equity. They didn't have a liquid penny to scratch their arses with yet they went on to finance the purchase of manure with borrowed money secured against nothing more than Manures revenue potential. So forgive me if I don't understand a piddling little debt on the financing of our training ground improvements.

10 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Glaziers had mountains of debt in the form of negative equity. They didn't have a liquid penny to scratch their arses with yet they went on to finance the purchase of manure with borrowed money secured against nothing more than Manures revenue potential. So forgive me if I don't understand a piddling little debt on the financing of our training ground improvements.

Thing with the glazers though they are paying it back, they bought man Utd for about £800m and their last account that figure of debt was down to £330m still a lot of money but in 12 years they have over halved the debt and still managed to keep Man Utd in profit most season and also competitive at the top of English football and in Europe though not liked by the fans i would say they are doing a great job and should they come to sell Man Utd they would get in the billions for their investment.

27 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Exactly

Nothing to even raise an eyebrow at this one

Not sure why people are getting in a pickle 

Especially given the wealth and desire of our chairman

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Final pages of the PDF referred to on the link show it is to do with training ground

My interpretation is that we have not paid several invoices due to the building and construction suppliers

It then looks like Close Financing have acquired the debt and then secured it - I would say that is my interpretation not fact. Close are one of the key financing people out there 

Close Leasing fund assets such as trucks, diggers, etc.. They also fund quirkier assets.

They also provided funding to Reading Football Club to improve the trading ground. This was to finance some modular buildings. They do not lend against land and buildings - only moveable assets. They may use the property charge to support a lend against weak assets - ones with a weak resale value. The modular building I described are weak in terms of resale value as they are bespoke and cost a lot to install and remove.

If we are borrowing to improve the training ground that is a good thing as it spreads the cost which benefits us in terms of FFP.

If they have offered an operating lease it is also off balance sheet.

Edited by heppers

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Close Leasing fund assets such as trucks, diggers, etc.. They also fund quirkier assets.

They also provided funding to Reading Football Club to improve the trading ground. This was to finance some modular buildings. They do not lend against land and buildings - only moveable assets. They may use the property charge to support a lend against weak assets - ones with a weak resale value. The modular building I described are weak in terms of resale value as they are bespoke and cost a lot to install and remove.

If we are borrowing to improve the training ground that is a good thing as it spreads the cost which benefits us in terms of FFP.

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Because certain people will try to find a negative in anything the club or owner does,

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, heppers said:

Close Leasing fund assets such as trucks, diggers, etc..

Good analysis - the reference to invoices threw me a little because I have not seen that in practice but what you are saying there makes a lot of sense

I also thought the work had been done a while back but perhaps this document can only be signed off on completion ?

Agree it makes sense to spread the cost but in terms of FFP I thought costs like these were excluded 

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, PARKOWL said:

Because certain people will try to find a negative in anything the club or owner does,

Or just debating a point in the public domain because its a forum about Sheffield Wednesday 

7 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Good analysis - the reference to invoices threw me a little because I have not seen that in practice but what you are saying there makes a lot of sense

I also thought the work had been done a while back but perhaps this document can only be signed off on completion ?

Agree it makes sense to spread the cost but in terms of FFP I thought costs like these were excluded 

It definitely relates to Modular Buildings.

The mention of invoices is due to the buildings and additions being detailed in those invoices stated so they know which assets they are funding.

Most sensible businesses will finance assets over the life of that asset.

A good spot but a non story. We are investing in improvements - fantastic news!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, heppers said:

It definitely relates to Modular Buildings.

The mention of invoices is due to the buildings and additions being detailed in those invoices stated so they know which assets they are funding.

Most sensible businesses will finance assets over the life of that asset.

A good spot but a non story. We are investing in improvements - fantastic news!!

Bang on

Owlstalk Shop

31 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Or just debating a point in the public domain because its a forum about Sheffield Wednesday 

No Problem debating anything, but I would suggest that someone with a more positive or even neutral outlook on the club and its owners wouldnt have put such a negative and misleading thread title 

Looked at this and the comments and I would comment as follows:-

Close have acquired a fixed charge mortgage over our training ground.

There is absolutely no merit to people suggesting it has been done for tax reasons.  We are a football club and will therefore never earn sufficient profit over and above the accumulated and allowable losses to ever pay any tax.

There is also no merit on people saying it is for FFP.  To my knowledge, spending on FFP has absolutely no bearing.

Therefore the following are the only plausible explanations that I can think of:-

1. We are short of cash so we have raised cash against the training ground.

2. We have spent on infrastructure on the training ground and have raised some or all of the cash via a mortgage.

Either way, it suggests Chansiri cannot or does not want to put more cash in.

This is also consistent with our season ticket policy - as I have said repeatedly to fans that insist on sticking their fingers in their ears.

The Same fans that consistently told me to shut up when I stated that we only had a finite window in which we needed to get promoted in due to FFP and the fact the Chairman ain’t a billionaire.

I suspect the financial reality of the next few years will surprise many of our fans.

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
55 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

No Problem debating anything, but I would suggest that someone with a more positive or even neutral outlook on the club and its owners wouldnt have put such a negative and misleading thread title 

the fact is Wednesday are in debt to a 3rd party