Todays Referee

Just now, s6 owl said:

Who was it? I thought he was the best we have seen down at Hillsborough this season if i am being honest.

Thought exactly the same...didn't blow for niggly fouls if only they were all like that...

• Thanks 1

Just now, s6 owl said:

Who was it? I thought he was the best we have seen down at Hillsborough this season if i am being honest.

Totally agree.

Everybody around us were saying how he tried to let the game flow.

A lot of refs would have been blowing for a needless free kick with some of the sliding challenges today including the ball winning tackle FF won just before smashing into the top corner.

The ref was a breath of fresh air today.

7 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Totally agree. 

I spotted it was 22 minutes before he gave a free-kick. Unfussy reffing at its best.

Total opposite of that utter power-crazed useless kernob we had in the MK Dons nil-nil two seasons ago where he utterly ruined an scintillating second half by deciding to take centre-stage by blowing for EVERYTHING. 

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Isn't it funny that when we win the referee is always decent...

Not funny at all. When the ref is decent we usually win. It's the crap ones that cheat us out of points who are the promble.

name me one decision he gave our way that he shouldn't?

23 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Not funny at all. When the ref is decent we usually win. It's the crap ones that cheat us out of points who are the promble.

name me one decision he gave our way that he shouldn't?

Wasn't there today so couldn't say, but Reading fans will probably be saying the ref was cack.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Wasn't there today so couldn't say, but Reading fans will probably be saying the ref was cack.

They would have to be even more biased than your average Wednesdayite then :biggrin:

I am usually the worst at criticising refs and giving them a hard time but I would be amazed if they blamed the ref for today. They should blame their strikers who could not have scored in the proverbial house of ill repute today...

33 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Gonads, we had one of the worst refs when we beat Preston 4-1 the other week.

I know it shouldn't but it winds me up when people comment on a ref when they haven't even been.

The referee was quality today. 

33 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Several times this season we have won and the consensus was that the ref was w@/k . Then we have the pinnacle of w@/k / useless / paid off / bent / biased / mate of Bruce / scared of Terry rattling his missus ( delete as applicable ) in swarbrick . 

3 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Gonads, we had one of the worst refs when we beat Preston 4-1 the other week.

I know it shouldn't but it winds me up when people comment on a ref when they haven't even been.

The referee was quality today. 

Didn't comment on the referees performance, just pointed out that fans tend to say the ref was good when we win. I'm on holiday which is why I didn't go, in not a part time season ticket refunder.

Edited by Not Jon Newsome

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

He was decent though he could have been a little sensible and dished a yellow rather than a red. I like 11 v 11 games.

He was sensible and correctly sent off a player for kicking out at an opponent.

For once a referee who didn't stop  the game for every bit of physical contact, blew his whistle only when absolutely necessary in order to let the game flow.

Was it coincidence there was very little play acting and feigning injury or did the players just realise they wouldn't easily 'win' fouls with this ref. in charge.

Best we've seen in a long while. Only criticism really was the sending off where he seemed to be influenced by the crowd reaction

Correct by the letter of the law but could have settled it with a yellow card and a ticking off for both players.