Son Of Loan Watch (part two)

Mansfield  5-0  Newport         (att: 2,866)

Matt Penney makes his 2nd appearance off the bench

With his side already five up, he replaces the scorer of three of 'em on 76mins

I'd imagine that last quarter of an hour was like a stroll in the park really

At least he's getting on though, that's an improvement on last season   :biggrin:

No fresh updates, unfortunately

Matt Penney was an unused sub for the second weekend running, although Mansfield only managed a 1-1 draw at home to 10-man Coventry

Jake Kean is still out through injury

His last game was 20th January, a 1-1 draw away to Colchester

Grimsby have lost all their games bar one since then, sacked their manager and are sliding perilously close to the drop zone

Could say Derby are missing Sam Winnall too

They've gone four games without a win since it was announced his season was over

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

is he injured ?.....not in the squad today .

Seen no explanations for his absence, but that's two consecutive games where he's failed to make the bench  :sad:

Jake Kean has completely fallen off the radar too

That's why there were no updates forthcoming - I've been keeping my eye on things though, ready for the first chance to surprise yer  :laugh:

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

is he injured ?.....not in the squad today .

Whilst I’m annoyed for penny , as someone who follows Mansfield I can see why he’s not making the squad . Annoying but just one of those things . His chance will come during the run in I’m sure 

Edited by james o connor

This thread has hardly been a hive of activity tbf

So perhaps this is worth a mention - the Central League Cup Final, last Tuesday - Wigan v Mansfield

Matt Penney is there, No.27 ...

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018/march/freeview-wigan-reserves-0-3-stags-reserves/

It's also kind of interesting that Flitcroft made the subs, and took Matt off around 70mins, right after their 3rd goal went in

Could this be a sign?

Is he pencilled in for today's game away at Forest Green?

... refuse to hold my breath  :dry:

Meanwhile, over at Grimsby ...

Liam Wood

Injury news

Just a couple of minutes now before MJ addresses the media. As thins stand, the current injured players are Kean, Dixon, Osborne, Summerfield and Jackson. But will any of them be back for the weekend?

... that's the first comfirmation we've had in weeks that Jake Kean is still alive

Or hasn't been beamed up by aliens at least

So did we get an update?

14:32Liam Wood

Injury news

MJ has spoken to the media at today’s press conference. Osborne, Summerfield and Jackson will all miss-out once again this weekend, but other injured players are on their way back to fitness.

"... but other injured players are on their way back to fitness."

Hmmm

You don't think ... ?

Nah, me neither

21 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

This thread has hardly been a hive of activity tbf

So perhaps this is worth a mention - the Central League Cup Final, last Tuesday - Wigan v Mansfield

Matt Penney is there, No.27 ...

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018/march/freeview-wigan-reserves-0-3-stags-reserves/

It's also kind of interesting that Flitcroft made the subs, and took Matt off around 70mins, right after their 3rd goal went in

Could this be a sign?

Is he pencilled in for today's game away at Forest Green?

... refuse to hold my breath  :dry:

He must be doing ok, they have a nickname for him.

Could get interesting if he ever gets brought down in the area.lol

47 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

penney needs to come back ,id get him back in u23s then if we secure our championship status give him a game or 2 towards end of season  to see if he is good enough for next season . 

If he can't get a game in League 2 I doubt he is going to be ready for our first team. If he was good enough he would have forced his way into the team. 

He may need another year of development before he is ready, some players are later developers, it doesn't mean they won't make the grade eventually.

nearly everyone who's seen him says he's the standout player in the 23s and yet never a sniff of an appearance despite left wing back being a problem area  . 2 loans and cant get a game lower down the leagues .........what are those that are championing him seeing that various managers arnt or is it  they are seeing something he's lacking that his supporters arnt ?....

We know he was subbed off before the end

But Matt seems to be absent from the team group holding t'Trophy

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018/march/stags-lift-central-league-cup/

That might be because, as a loanee, he thinks the achievement means more to the lads who got them to the final

Or it might be a sign that he's taken hump

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

New manager doesn't like Penney

Could be true. Before leaving Evans prised him, and said Penney have big part to play in their push for promotion.

God knows what is going on there.

Under Flitcroft Mansfield won only 3 points in their last 4 games. Fans on twitter already want him out.

Another slow week on loan watch  :dry:  but it's interesting though ...

We know Derby have a tendency to blow it around this time of year, but losing to Sunderland last night means no wins for them in the eight games since

Sam Winnall got injured - 5 draws  3 defeats

Jake Kean got injured after 3apps for Grimsby and since then - P11  W0  D3  L8 - and they now look to be Chesterfield's best hope of staying up

Matt Penney came off the bench a couple of times for Steve Evans, but since Flitcroft took over at Mansfield there's been no sign of him

That's five games - no wins 3 draws and 2 defeats - which has seen them drop out of the play-off positions

Probably just coincidence, but if there's a moral here then it's 'if they're fit, play 'em'  :mellow:

You listening, Flitcroft?