Son Of Loan Watch (part two)

Yes, I realize the previous one is still warm but in with the new and all that ...

ManU  2-0  Derby        (att: 73,899)

Nothing for Richard Turpin to take home this time, although it took two late goals to banish the idea of adding a cup run to their promotion bid

Sam Winnall starting kind of sent a message to everyone back at S6 - he's their player, at least until May

I tuned in to the extended highlights on BBC's red button, specifically to see how he's doing

To be fair, he looked completely anonymous against a ManU side that dominated from start to finish and was the first Derby player to be taken off (67mins)

However, I do hope he continues to shine, score goals and increase his transfer value

Very significant that we allow Derby to play him in the cup. It suggests that there is no clause in the contract which allows us to recall him.

It also means we must be able to play Butters in the cup. I'm not sure that is good news. 

Grimsby  0-2  Morecambe          (att: 3,104)

Might recall that Jake Kean had a successful loan spell at Mansfield last season

At least good enough to attract interest and/or secure a permanent move to a club in Leagues 1 or 2, if you ask me

Well it didn't materialize so, after spending another half season of relative inactivity, he finally gets a chance to repeat the process at Grimsby

http://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-morecambe/374455

Now I don't want to sound either cruel or clever, so let's just say he didn't make the best of starts - and leave it at that

He might have done better for the first goal, although I did enjoy his Manuel impersonation afterwards

And the second? Well that was just plain comical

Never mind, I'm sure he'll get plenty of opportunities to make up for it

Not rubbing it in or anything, but this is the verdict of the Grimsby Telegraph:

Jake Kean: Not a debut to remember unfortunately. Won’t want to watch the second goal back anytime soon 4/10

That nine of his team mates were also awarded 4 (the other three - 5) may be of small comfort

But his new club are going through a bad run so perhaps things can only get better

... he did actually make a decent save towards the end of that Sky clip, but I'd stopped watching by then first time around

a tactful retreat - bit like catching your granma in the bath      :blush:

Birmingham  0-3  Derby              (att: 22,121)

Rowett's Return - and a chance to rub Brummie noses in it some more

Sam Winnall kept his place in the starting XI but was unable to add to the ETT goals to valuation coefficient (currently standing at £3.5m :ph34r:)

According to the BBC live text service his contribution to the game was fairly unremarkable, and he was replaced on 68mins with his side comfortably 2-0 up

The Derby Telegraph however gushed about the quality of the team performance - awarding 7s and 8s throughout

Sam got a 7 with the comment - 'Busy, unselfish work and looked to get behind Birmingham'

Fair dos

Grimsby  1-2  Newport             (att: 3,397)

Second game for Jake Kean and a second defeat

However, no-one should point the finger this time around

The first goal was a belter and the second took a wicked deflection

Newport arrived with their tails up - cup exploits aside - and an eye on the play-offs

The stats suggest they were good value for the win although Grimsby boss Russell Slade reckoned his were the better side

Derby  0-0  Bristol C            (att: 26,525)

^ Last night's tv game - anybody who watched it please feel free to add anything remotely Winnall-related

Otherwise, it seems two consecutive goalless starts were reason enough to dump Sam back on bench duty

He was then part of a triple substitution on 76mins but didn't appear to have much effect and the deadlock remained unbroken

Final word by The Derby Telegraph's chief player rater :

Sam Winnall (for Nugent, 76): 6

Went close in the closing minutes

35 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Loan watch is a bit sparse at the minute we need to send some more out.

I get the impression Jos is busy deciding what's what

Fully expect 3 or 4 of our current batch of youngsters to see the season out in Leagues 1 & 2

... bloody-well hope so anyroad  :ph34r:

Colchester  1-1  Grimsby          (att: 3,016)

Well done Jake Kean I guess, for helping to end Grimsby's four-game losing streak

The highlights clips suggest his side ought to have won the game but things are clearly improving

Couldn't be faulted for the home side's equalizer either

Final word on this one by The Grimsby Telegraph's chief player rater:

Jake Kean: Looked a bit uncertain at times, but did okay as he was tested more in the second half 6/10

Well something has to happen today in order to justify this thread

As it stands you hardly need me to tell you when Sam Winnall starts and when he's on the bench

Incidentally ...

Millwall  0-0  Derby          (att: 10,931)

... and he was on the bench, came on after 73mins

So let's hear it for our Derby Telegraph correspondent:

Sam Winnall (for Vydra, 73): 6

Busy and linked well with Cameron Jerome

As for Jake Kean, injury has kept him out of Grimsby's last two league games

Both ended in defeat so it's a fair bet he'll regain his place when fit

But unless there's any movement before the transfer window closes he might as well be part of ...

Where Are They Now?

Q: Jake Kean

A: Grimsby

On 06/01/2018 at 12:07, prowl said:

Very significant that we allow Derby to play him in the cup. It suggests that there is no clause in the contract which allows us to recall him.

It also means we must be able to play Butters in the cup. I'm not sure that is good news. 

Derby will be experts in Loan Agreements, as last season they loaned Chris Martin to Fulham. They tried everything to get him back.

So this year, we learn the hard way.

I sometimes wonder if refs get told off for not waving enough red cards about  :dry:

Derby  3-0  Brentford            (att: 25,938)

Brentford were down to 10 men on 21mins - and about 12mins later they were 2-0 down, game over

The tv replays suggest it was a poor challenge, could say the same about the one that saw Middlesbro reduced to 10 men at Norwich

Pulis insists they'll appeal that one, interested to see how he gets on - especially as Matias will get lumbered with a 3 match ban and for what exactly?

Anyroad, that early dismissal at Derby was the first of seven red cards in the Championship alone - far too many

Referees really p*ss me off sometimes, but this isn't Rant Watch

So ...

Sam Winnall then, brought on after 63mins, presumably because Rowett thought they weren't making the most of their numerical advantage

And as the Derby Telegraph say ...

Sam Winnall (for Jerome, 63) - 7

Won the penalty from which Vydra scored.

'Won' being the operative word - just a pity he wasn't allowed to take it, might've increased his value

Elsewhere (League 2)

Matt Penney will have to wait a while longer for his Mansfield debut

He watched their 3-1 home win v Barnet from the bench

Jake Kean was out again through injury as Grimsby drew 1-1 at home to Cheltenham

Sam Winnall out for the season

Jake Kean out since 20th January

Seemed as though injuries would surely render this thread extinct

Thank goodness for Matt Penney then ...

Swindon  1-0  Mansfield        (att: 6,031)

An unused sub last week, he was brought off the bench this time around with his side already trailing

According to the Stags' OS ...

The gaffer made another change shortly after in the 68th minute, swapping the pacey CJ Hamilton for fellow left winger Matt Penney who made his Mansfield

debut in the process.

Penney, on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, almost made an immediate impact as he skipped clear down the left, but his low cross went out for a goal kick.

... although other sources (BBC for instance) marked that effort down as a shot off target

Made his debut all the same, so congratulations are in order and let's hope he's given loads more opportunities there to shine